AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Yamaha HTR-5960 is my first receiver and I'm wondering how many "calibrate their speakers?

I'm asking the question only because all speakers have a different sound that the owner likes about them. Speaker cone designs effect the response of the electrical signal to generating the sound. Doing the Receiver calibration "tries" to make a speaker neutral buy equalizing the frequency response of the speaker. Does all this extra processing effect sound quality then just letting the speaker respond to it's design?

I'm thinking if you like the sound coming from your selected speakers wouldn't it be best to NOT calibrate?

THX...Angelo

·
Premium Member
14,808 Posts
I have a Yamaha RX-V4600. I *only* use the YPAO to calibrate speaker levels and distances. I override the speaker size settings, the crossover and all parametric EQ's. The YPAO will assign any speaker with response below 80 Hz as "large", even when most should be "small". It also sets the crossover inappropriately most of the time. These Bass Management errors will not take best advantage of the BM capabilities of the receiver and of your speakers. I don't like any of the EQ settings as they all change the imaging in ways that make it much less precise.

It does a great job with speaker levels. It also does very well with all speaker distances. However, it will usually find the subwoofer much further away than it actually is. Leave it at the longer distance. It is accounting for the latency in the Bass Management processing. It sets the sub "furthest away" and then delays all the other speakers to allow the sub to catch up.

Good luck.

Craig

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
I used the calibration program on the Lexicon RV8 which, as I understand it, is run to take into account the particulars of the room, something it seems to do very well, you are still free to tweak things once that is done.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Yamaha RX-V2700 and I have just recently been playing with the calibration and I really like the results. I found it gave me a great base line and then I tweaked a little here and there, I felt my center channel was a little loud each time I did it.

What I wonder is how much the quality of the little omni mic it comes with plays into how well it actually picks up your speakers. Or is the algorithms the receiver uses is more of a factor.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Points!

Thanks...Angelo

·
Registered
31,184 Posts
Angelo,

I think you're confusing two different features: calibration (dialing in levels and delays so that all speakers sound equidistant from you) and equalization (attempting to reduce the room's unwanted contributions to the overall sound).

Calibration is a must, whether you do it manually (with a SPL meter and tape measure) or automatically (using the mic supplied with your receiver). Equalization is a different story, since the technology varies so wildly from receiver to receiver.

Personally, I haven't been too impressed with the EQ systems on Yamaha receivers. I would do what Craig does, use YPAO for calibration but not equalization (and crossovers).

When auto-EQ is done properly, you hear less of the room and more of what your speakers sound like and more of what's in the recording itself. When it isn't done well, it can really ruin the sound and is better left off.

Sanjay

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've run my auto-calibration/EQ on my 661w/Adcom GFA6000. On my Paradigm speaker setup (Phantom V.2 front/CC-150 center/Atom surrounds/PDR-10 sub), I got mixed results. All speakers were calibrated as "Large" except the center channel. Levels and distances were all pretty much on, but curiously, the subwoofer was only pegged at about a half a foot farther than it really is for the "delay factor". I attributed this to the fronts being set to "Large". The crossover was automatically set at 160, but after re-setting the speaker sizes to all "Small" and the x-over at 80, I almost doubled the true distance on the subwoofer setting, and that pretty much dialed in my bass response (true distance = 14', final setting = 26.5'). I must say that, all in all, the intial auto setting w/the speakers set to large, etc. yielded a decent sound. I wasn't entirely unhappy with it. However, after recently inserting the Adcom into the fold to clean up the sound at higher volumes, I opted to knock the speaker sizes back to small and re-calibrate to 75 dB w/the RadShack SPL meter to gain back a small bit of volume.

As far as the auto-EQ goes, the initial equalization actually did a decent job of rounding out and giving my mids some better definition, and with the speakers set back to small, still took a little bit of the added airiness (what most would typically call "brightness", I suppose) out of the Paradigms. They were bright enough to begin with matched with the Yammy, and I've always favored the higher end, but I do have a harshness threshold like everyone else. The difference wasn't huge, but noticeable. Same was true of the auto-EQ with the original auto settings when the speakers were set to large.

Bottom line for me, I guess, is that I found that my ears in general seem to agree with most here: some auto settings are probably acceptable to keep, but there will likely be some tweaking involved for optimum sound (which I'm sure I still don't have w/out a separate EQ - some DIY room treatments, but they'll only go so far w/out an EQ). Considering my mid-fi setup, I'm pretty happy.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is how I calibrate. First I do the receiver calibrate. Then go into Manual Mode and double check the distances and the Sub is always wrong and I correct it. With my setup 60Hz crossover sounds the best with all speakers set to Small. With my dB meter I check the speaker levels, I use 75dB for my 5 speakers and 85dB for my subwoofer and I'm done.

...Angelo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.