AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was just wondering how many of you use your amp for all TV use...not just HT use? They way I will have my stuff all set up I will have to use the Amp even for TV viewing....I really dislike using my TV's speakers at all..........do most have their systems set up this way? Probably a dumb question though!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Your telling me that they put speakers in my TV? No Way!!

I've never listened to my TV thru it's own speakers since I bought it, only thru my amp/HT.

Jim

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
same here. I don't even know if my TV speakers work.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hmmm, my amps are always on since I have self-powered L/C/R speakers, I actually don't power them off, even when nothing is on.

They might auto-off, not documented.

·
Registered
503 Posts
You mean they put speakers in my TV?

hmmm....interesting.

Can't actually remember the last time I turned my amp off. It was sometime in eary 2002 I believe.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I went from an 8 channel monoblock design to a single Adcom F.A.T. amp so that I wouldn't have so many amps sitting at idle drawing power - especially the surround amps when listening to stereo. The only reason I don't rip my TV speakers out of the cabinet when I first buy it is only to maintain resale value. I have been like this for the last 12 years.

The best TV speakers in the world suck. Most suck even more.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My TV has an on/off switch for the speakers. It is off.

There are times, when watching old TV programs and movies with tinny mono soundtracks, where my HT gear is being completely wasted.

It would be nice if some of the HDTV sets had no-audio models. Instead when one moves up within a line to get a better picture, you are also paying for more expensive, yet still mediocre audio.

Tom B.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Bombadil
It would be nice if some of the HDTV sets had no-audio models. Instead when one moves up within a line to get a better picture, you are also paying for more expensive, yet still mediocre audio.
Hmmm, most Plasma HDTV sets have no audio, wait, the don't have tuners either.

Many times equipment is just like expensive designer women's clothing, the more you pay, the less stuff you get.

:p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Actually, not only do folks run all TV signals through their HT gear, many have learned that it is actually desirable to physically remove your TV speakers from the TV cabinet. I have spoken on this before.

Even with no signal being passed to them, these "passive speakers" will produce sounds when exposed to enough volume. Think about the close proximity to the center and mains. Some people even put their subwoofer on the front wall.

So, if you're looking for the absolute best performance from your HT, get out the screwdriver, and rip those evil b*st*rds out...

Kevin

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My curtains might reverberate also..I guess I should remove them :D.

Seriously - in theory I can see that the speaker would move and produce a little sound. You would probably have to have your speakers so loud it would drowned out anything the 3" speakers in a TV put out.

I always use my HT system for TV. I am debating if I should set up my system to always use the TV speakers - I'll have an in-home babysitter at my house a few times a week and I don't know if I trust her with my HT system.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
What is a TV doing in a HT system anyways? Currently, I can't even watch television in my main HT system. I have a second "HT" system with a 32" TV and for me I watch TV using the built in speakers even though I have the 5.1 setup attached to it. It is just convenience and laziness for me. Laziness in the sense that I haven't programmed a macro to turn on and off the SS receiver and TV at the same time programed the volume control on the universial remote for all devices. I do turn on the attached 5.1 surround system when I watch some big sporting events. Looks like I'm in the minority here.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I watch movies in the theater with the projector. I watch TV in the family room on a 55" RPTV. I flip on the amp to the RPTV if it something worth really listening to.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I always use my ht unless it is down because I am upgrading it, or occassionally my digital cable box is being reprogrammed and not available. In that case it is nice having the tv speakers as a backup. Are they ever going to starting producing tv's with good speakers that can be used as a center channel? That would be nice.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pjfool
Are they ever going to starting producing tv's with good speakers that can be used as a center channel? That would be nice.
Uh, no. The problem is that unless they are voice matched to your mains, they will sound different. Get a Wilson Watch center - by no means cheap - and match them with some Martin Logan mains - also very nice. They won't sound as good as using all Martin Logan or all Wilson. This problem doesn't get better with cheaper speakers and nobody would expect the TV set to have those levels of quality in their speakers.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My audio system is always on. The plasma has no speakers. The pj has a wopping 3" speaker.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use my HT reciever to do video switching, maybe it is just a laziness facotr less buttons to press and I hadn't gotten a universal remote that can do macros yet. So now I just hit a button on my AVR remote and it changes the video and audio. With that being said since every piece of equipement I own has all of its video and audio signals going to my reciever and a monitor out going to my tv from the reciever I need to leave my Reciever on unless I want to watch black or rewire all my cabling.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by corey
I use my HT reciever to do video switching
Not to mention it's cheaper to run short cables to the receiver and then only 1 long cable to the TV/projector.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.