AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see if I can get this poll stuff right.

The current record modes look something like this (on the R4K)

SQ : 2mbps 352x480

MQ: 4mbps 720x480 (double the bitrate, but double the resolution. What's the point?)

HQ: 6mbps 720x480 (pretty good but artifacted a lot, particulary on poor cable feeds where compression efficiency is lost on compressing noise, or in the case of DBS : compressing other MPEG artifacts)

In a geek driven worlds the following options would exist:

LowQ: 352x480 2mbps

MedQ:352x480 4mbps (these two middle ones are a nice balance on quality and quantity)

HighQ:480x480 6mbps

SuperQ:720x480 8mbps

What do you think?

·
Registered
246 Posts
sure, why not.

and why not add a really low quality mode while we're at it? what would that be? 352x240? how is that worse than EP mode VHS?

seriously. i've been able to stand EP mode VHS for a long time. sometimes i just want a show for it's content, not it's wonderful visuals. especially if i wouldn't have had room to record it anyway, without this option. e.g.: look at all the really low speeds that were/are available on reel-to-reel audio tape decks. (how many times do i really need to see one of the same 3 sets over and over again on a sitcom?)

and while we're at it, how about an audio only setting? (with screen saver, of course.) i listen to a digital music channel all the time. i also record it every day. that way, i can always listen to it while something else is recording.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldnt turn down this improvement, but if i could managed the replay developments team this would not be what they would be working one. I think the current modes are adequate and there are other improvements and/or added capabilities that should be made first.

Ah, It would be nice to be king for a day...

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Why not give us 7 options instead of 3:

Music Only (Low Quality)

Music Only (High Quality)

A/V Super Low

A/V Low

A/V Medium

A/V High

A/V Super High

Also, add a radio tuner so we can record Stern, sell us an external digital input using the USB port, and if you can throw in some sort of coffeemaker, I wouldn't complain :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why not add a "custom" mode where you specify the bitrate and select from various resolutions and audio quality.

For archival purposes, you could record in SVCD or DVD-compatible resolutions.

But for the poll, I voted "no." ReplayTV is supposed to be a consumer electronics device. That means it needs to be as simple as possible. Extra features risk increased complexity. If I were in charge at SonicBlue, I wouldn't object to adding a custom record mode, but I would leave it disabled unless turned on in a secret menu. That way we could get what we want without risking confusion among the average consumers.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Have ReplayTV eliminate the sound quality degredation at lower recording quality levels before souping up the video quality.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
arjay (some of) your wish(es) is (are) SB's command! Sound is quite perfect @ all "levels" now, cooling fan/active cooling air-flow design, RF out...

Now if we can just get you a deal on the price... all set! :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Sound is quite perfect @ all "levels" now....

Now if we can just get you a deal on the price....
Has the sound quality degredation at lower quality levels been changed? I didn't know (and need a reference source for confirmation.)

Tell ya what! I'll offer to trade my RTV 3060, RTV 3030, and Philips HDR212 all complete in excellent or better condition in original boxes for a RTV 45XX 80 hr. unit. I'd like to evaluate RTV's 4500. I could even throw in a bonus!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Yep it sounds perfect @ all levels... a sharp contrast to the Standard Quality on the old ones. And with 4080 you'd even get your no-nag manual record if you don't want listings and you can rename them on-screen.

Well I noticed you didn't throw in your DISH DVR's?
C'mon Ken is the audio identical now at all video quality levels? I've got an old Crosley that "sounds perfect"!

I'm using my Dishplayer, 501, and HDR312. The three DVR's I listed are stored away.

I did make a mistake in not clarifying that I was relating to a subbed 45XX 80 hr. unit in my calculations. My HDR212 is unsubbed.

3XXX ReplayTV's will record fine from a manually set timer when they don't have EPG data. I was hoping they'd also record from pressing the record button like the four letter DVR does but they won't.

Renaming manual recordings is a neat feature. I believe my Dishplayer offers that too. I've never actually done it.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

C'mon Ken is the audio identical now at all video quality levels? I've got an old Crosley that "sounds perfect"!

Yep arjay it sounds great... they may have improved all levels?? Still a different bitrate for each grade. Standard Quality audio was unacceptable for me on the old ones -- I'm very sensitive to bad mp3's... just as I hate overcompression on the video.

BTW last time I looked closely I didn't like video on Med Quality on the 4K.

(I thought Standard looked better but that may have changed now) Of course I'm hacked/upgraded and use only High Quality for everything naturally.

One of the first things I noticed when I got the unit was that they improved the audio on Standard Quality. Still compressed but you won't hear the difference (from original) under most ordinary Home Theater conditions/source feeds.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Of course I'm hacked/upgraded and use only High Quality for everything naturally.
I always used High Quality with my 3XXX's.

Gotta' admit TiVo's four settings enable using its "High Quality" which is actually second best quality without excessive degredation.

With my HDR 312 I find I can only schedule one 8 hour recording at a time at High Quality but with VBR enabled can store two such 8 hour recordings consistently before one gets deleted. There's even a small unknown amount of unused capacity remaining after 16 hrs of High Quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Also, add a radio tuner so we can record Stern
Funny you should say that. That's exactly what I do. I have my a/v receiver tuner going into input 1 on my replay. Since replay wont record without a video source, i have to use my dvd player's screensaver.

It works really good, but since it records the video too, it uses a lot of the disk space. It's also nice cause i can instantly skip his 25 minute commercial breaks with like pressing 3 buttons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does it make sense to have different classes of quality for the type of device that you plan on displaying the video on?

I'd imagine that users who use composite output to a crappy 20 inch tv might prefer lower resolution modes with varied bitrates, while svideo /crappy 20 inch tv users might prefer double vertical resolutions with varied bitrates, and finally, svideo with high resolution/large tvs might prefer the higher resolution modes.

I know it sounds complicated, but it might be what users want.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
arjay we gotta get you started hacking! You wouldn't believe how easy the basics (upgrades) are.

Can you replace the hard drive in your PeeCee? And don't tell me you're "hardware challenged" with that rack of equipment you're running... Get Joe Sixpak or Elvis to do the dirty work for you? ;)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:

Can you replace the hard drive in your PeeCee?
I'm sure I could: just don't have much interest.

Definitely don't want to have to finish building an expensive DVR I just bought--voiding the warrantee; don't really want to think of a DVR any differently than any other A/V enhancement. It's supposed to work like a damned magic carpet!

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MePray4RePlay

Funny you should say that. That's exactly what I do. I have my a/v receiver tuner going into input 1 on my replay. Since replay wont record without a video source, i have to use my dvd player's screensaver.

It works really good, but since it records the video too, it uses a lot of the disk space. It's also nice cause i can instantly skip his 25 minute commercial breaks with like pressing 3 buttons.
Good news! You can eat your cake and have it too.

Since the Replay outputs video black when it's in the standby mode (the power LED off) just feed one of the outputs back into your #1 input and make sure that the Replay is "OFF" when recording your audio. You will be recording video black, but that should make for a small file.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

I'm sure I could: just don't have much interest.
arjay, if you have to change the oil in your vehicles do you consider that having to finish building them?

Or do you just put them in the closet after 7000 miles?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.