Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum,

I am trying to figure out whether you are "supposed" to watch Tim Burton's,"The Nightmare before Christmas" at Halloween or Christmas? What do you ALL think? I think I might just watch it at thanksgiving.....a good happy medium. Later people. ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I watch Nightmare every Halloween, but not on dvd .... the past couple years, the El Capitan theatre in Hollywood has played Nightmare on the big screen for a full week leading up to Halloween so I go see it there. Complete with a spooky pipe organ played live before the movie and usually accompanied by a couple Disney short cartoons. Last year we got the old black & white classic 'Skeleton Dance' .... the previous year was Lonesome Ghosts I believe ...

Anyways, it's a treat ... Ah, the joys of living in L.A.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
This is one that'll be poping into my player any day now. :)

Chad

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the fun feedback. I would also like to know if it's worth buying the special edition. Is the PQ any better than the original version? Is it anamorphic? How are the extras?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The SE is still non-anamorphic. But ,it's framed at the original ratio of 1.66:1. So, if it were ana, you'd end up losing part of the picture. Similar to cropping a 1.33:1 ratio to fit the 16:9 frame, but with a little less loss.

The SE includes a DTS audio track in addition to the DD 5.1 track.

Bonus Features include:

-deleted scenes and animated sequences

-behind-the-scenes featurette

-storyboard to film comparison

-over 450 gallery images of of concept art and character designs

-director commentary

-theatrical trailers and posters

Tim Burton's Early Films:

-Vincent (Tim's directorial debut)

-Frenkenweenie

Chad

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chad Varnadore
The SE is still non-anamorphic. But ,it's framed at the original ratio of 1.66:1. So, if it were ana, you'd end up losing part of the picture. Similar to cropping a 1.33:1 ratio to fit the 16:9 frame, but with a little less loss.
They could put the 1.66:1 inside of a 1.78:1 anamorphic image. It would have black bars on the sides on a 16:9 set and no bars on the top pr bottom. But this wouldn't work for 4:3 TV owners at all as it would have black bars in the image at the sides as well as black bars at the top and bottom generated by the player.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My daughter has had that on at least twice a week since the beginning of the month... and I guess it's considered a Halloween flick in my house. Christmas Story is the prerequisite for Xmas, that Santa Clause and Jingle All The Way... and dare I admit it - Reindeer Games also gets a spin or two during the Christmas season.

·
Registered
714 Posts
For all those interested and in the L.A. area, I checked with the El Capitan ...

Nightmare Before Christmas starts today and ends on Halloween. It plays 4-5 times a day, everyday and it includes Tim Burton's original short films Frankenweenie and Vincent!!! See them all on the big screen at the El Capitan and Hollywood where they were meant to be seen ... I know I will ...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good topic - I just set up my HT: Sanyo XW15 XGA, LCD proj w/ Panny RP56, Yamaha RXV-2092 w/ Klipsch cntr, Infinities sub and around, will probably get a DVDO for cable NTSC....

I joined Columbia House and got "Nightmare" in the initial group with the intent of showing it during my annual halloween party on the 27th (I love the movie).

Can anyone suggest another Halloween-appropriate movie to put in after NBC that will show off the HT? I know I'll be playing some of the tasty bits of 5th Element and Star Wars, but looking for another horror movie to leave in.

thanks!

Kurt

Trenton, NJ

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Kurt,

Anchor Bay has done an excellent job with some of the Halloween (Michael Myers) movies. They also did a terrific job with The Midnight Hour, which is one of my favorites this time of year.

Of course Sleepy Hollow is a great one this time of year. Buena Vista did an incredible job with their Collector's Series release of The Crow. And, if you want to show off your subs capabilities, be sure to pop in The Haunting-DTS ES-Discrete release.

Chad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.