Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zoomed, so my entire screen is filled

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with 1080p content (Blu-ray) and normal 16:9 1080p screens, do you normally watch 2.35:1 content (movies) in its native letterboxed format, or do you zoom it in to fill your entire screen?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I didn't think that BD was an anamorphic format?

Seggers

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
1. Yes, the use of the word "anamorphic" here is incorrect.

2. No, I don't want to throw away a significant portion of the picture information I paid for when I bought the Blu-ray Disc. I paid for those pixels and I want to see them all!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Why don't the manufacturers just build TV's with the correct format? I have a few DVD's that play in 16:9 but most of them don't. Or, why don't the film makers create their movies in 16:9? Seems stupid to me. And I know that both groups could make the change so that when we buy a large screen TV that the majority of content, not the minority, would fit correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the correction about the wording, anamorphic.

I'm with you jaseman, I think most people who are buying a 46"+ TV have movies as a priority and would be ok with sidebar letterboxing for non-movie content.

·
Registered
432 Posts
OAR for me all the time. My 2.35:1 movies have bars at the top and bottom, and my academy ratio films have bars on the sides. I am interested in the film, not filling up my TV screen.

If they actually made 2.35:1 TVs, then the "I want my screen filled" types would start zooming 16:9 films because they would have black bars on the sides.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/16964720

The industry should move to 2.35:1 displays.

There are plenty of 4x3 films I want to watch. 16x9 is the only reasonable compromise I feel.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman /forum/post/16962215

Or, why don't the film makers create their movies in 16:9? Seems stupid to me.

Because the movies are made for THEATERS with 2.35:1 screens and NOT 1.78:1 TV displays

And 2.35:1 movies have much better looking compositions than 1.85:1, escpecially for huge action/sci-fi/adventure movies.

The Zoom function should be banned in the High Def era

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
What I think is funny (in a weird sense) is that if you go to an actual movie theater, not every feature will "fill up the screen". There are actually "black bars" at the top and bottom when watching widescreen presentations.

That apparently doesn't bother people---yet do OAR on a TV and the screaming starts.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You should think that people have gotten used of the black bars by now

In sweden, a LOT of movies was shown on regular broadcast TV in OAR since the early 90:s, and Pan & Scan died even on VHS at the end of that decade.

It´s incredible that Pan & Scan versions of NEW movies on DVD:s STILL are avalible this day and age in the US. Are 4:3 CRT:s still avalible in US stores?

I hope all these complaints from "black bars" haters won´t bring on the "open matte"/cropped hell to Blu-ray

Oh yeah....Alliance in Canade have released a few 2.35:1 movies in 1.85:1

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 /forum/post/16965272

And 2.35:1 movies have much better looking compositions than 1.85:1, escpecially for huge action/sci-fi/adventure movies.

That is a matter of personal opinion - and I don't agree with it.

They "may" look better in movie theaters, but in my opinion not on TV's. I'm a big fan of the 1.85 ratio. As an example, watch the 1.85 scenes from The Dark Knight. Getting a "full" screen (1.85) picture was soooo much better looking than the 2.35 ratio which most of the movie was in. Granted the IMAX cameras helped out.

Also - people with TV's that are subject to "burn in" also may choose to zoom so they don't get black bar's "burned" into their displays.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.