AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a Directv subscriber and I am wondering what the latest information is on the possiblity of Directv picking up the Los Angeles Dodger Baseball Channel, called SportsNet LA?

I Appreciate any information that you might have. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVMARTY  /t/1522139/dodgers-sportsnet-la-channel#post_24470934

I am currently a Directv subscriber and I am wondering what the latest information is on the possiblity of Directv picking up the Los Angeles Dodger Baseball Channel, called SportsNet LA?

I Appreciate any information that you might have. Thanks in advance

TWC (co-owners with the Dodgers) want the cable companies and DBS to fork over $5 per basic subscriber, and they won't permit a la carte or tiered placement. Nobody is biting.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dodger-tv-20140218,0,1500435.story#ixzz2tkCaD5Ch
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-dodgers-channel-launch-20140224,0,4524006.story#ixzz2uK5utnDu

·
Registered
1 Posts
As noted in the LA times today.... these deals are signed very close to the start of the season... and sometimes 2-3 weeks after the start of the season as the carriage partners try to hold out as long as possible in hopes that the sports network (TWC in this example) will take less... similar negotiation to the Lakers Network launched in 2012 (Also TWC) -- stick with DTV and you'll have your Dodgers very soon...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1522139/dodgers-sportsnet-la-channel#post_24488447

And we care about the Dodgers why?
Because the Bay Area NEEDS to HATE LA!
Funny thing is both those teams came from NYC.

·
Registered
17,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD  /t/1522139/dodgers-sportsnet-la-channel/0_20#post_24490060

Because the Bay Area NEEDS to HATE LA!
Funny thing is both those teams came from NYC.
Very good point! I just hope your pay-tv rates don't go up because of it.

·
Registered
17,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan  /t/1522139/dodgers-sportsnet-la-channel/0_20#post_24490136

And the Dodgers were still better than the Giants back then.

Point. But it's still a good rivalry though as long as the fans behave

·
Premium Member
35,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1522139/dodgers-sportsnet-la-channel/0_100#post_24490165

Point. But it's still a good rivalry though as long as the fans behave
Indeed.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
If the fans continue getting worse, then the teams will need to start kicking a larger ball around between goals.

·
Registered
17,946 Posts
That's why I stopped going to Raider games as well as Giants/Dogders games. However, Giants/Dodgers games at Spring Training are a lot of fun. Baseball as it should be played with lots of kids and friendly rivalry between the fans.

·
Registered
915 Posts
70% of Los Angeles is currently blacked out from seeing the Dodgers, but the real crime is...

30% of Los Angeles does not have cable. Most of these Dodgers fans cannot afford cable/satellite/telco and certainly cannot afford to go see a game live.

Last year 50 games were offered on FREE over the air TV; this year NONE!

Even the greedy New York Yankees with their YES Channel offers 21 games to its fans on WWOR-TV.

The Dodgers: not so much!

Major League Baseball is the only professional sport that is allowed the legal luxury of an exemption from the antitrust laws; which allows them to make anti-competitive, anti-public interest decisions.

It is time for Dodger fans to let their representatives in Congress know that this antitrust exemption should be repealed!

That'll get their attention...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Very well said Lax. The longer it takes for Cable, Satellite, and Telco providers to pay Time Warner's ransom demands the lower the increase will be to the consumer. It is just unbelievable that both the Lakers and Dodgers will show 0 games on Ch. 9, OTA. Looks like the Ducks are pretty much the last Pro team to show regular games OTA in S. Ca. Any Angels, Kings, and Clippers games still OTA?? Not many, if any.. The Greed is getting nauseating.....

As greedy as the NFL is, they just added 8 Thursday night games on CBS, and ALL of the Play-off games are on Free TV... So far..

·
Premium Member
35,924 Posts
While I agree with the above about the costs getting out of hand, don't kid yourself either, if the Yankees could have every one of their games on YES Network they would, no doubt there's some stipulation in the current contract that requires them to allow some free OTA broadcasts,

Fans like to think these sorts of situations are because the team is caring for them, but it's a business, and that bottom line will always override any goodwill concern for the fans.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I was all worried that vetizon fios wouldn't get twc sports for the lakers.

Then the lakers took a nosedive.

Will history repeat itself.

Frankly I hope NOBODY pays up. That'll teach them.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelLAX  /t/1522139/dodgers-sportsnet-la-channel#post_24582931

Even the greedy New York Yankees with their YES Channel offers 21 games to its fans on WWOR-TV.

The Dodgers: not so much!
That's because the Dodgers have something the Yankees don't: Magic.

·
Premium Member
35,924 Posts
Up until this season, and the new TV contract, the Dodgers had almost a third of all their games available via OTA broadcasts, one of the highest amounts in baseball.

So you could look at it as making up for lost revenue that other teams have been collecting for years.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts