AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was debating about whether to purchase an HD-A2 or an HD-XA2 for use with my Optoma HD70 projector. My question is specific to the scan rates and whether 1080p buys you anything (versus going the 1080i route) with a 720p display. For example, would the projector have less processing to do if the signal was already in the progressive format as opposed to having to deal with going from interlaced to progressive?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I dont think that any HDTVs or Projectors can actually accept 1080p signals unless they are 1080p native?

Dont quote me on that but Im positive im correct. It would go to a default like 1080i or 720p. I dont think it would be worth it for that very reason.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpedersen /forum/post/0

if you dont have a projector that can output 1080p you cant use the 1080p resolution in the player, it will automaticly convert it to 1080i or 720p... but the converting shouldnt show in the PQ at all..

This particular projector of mine does indeed accept up to 1080p/60 (but not 1080p/24). However, as has been pointed out, I will ultimately only be seeing 720p. So having 1080p/60 coming into the projector probably would look no different in the end than if I were just sending the projector a 1080i signal from, say, the HD-A2. Any further thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX /forum/post/0

I dont think that any HDTVs or Projectors can actually accept 1080p signals unless they are 1080p native?

Dont quote me on that but Im positive im correct. It would go to a default like 1080i or 720p. I dont think it would be worth it for that very reason.

The 900U should (on paper) accept 1080/24p but I have not tried it, as I have nothing that will output that signal.

That being said, I think the only only reason to go to the XA2 would be to future proof yourself when you get your next projector(that can handle 1080p)

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

I'm not so convinced it even matters on 1080p displays. A few Pearl owners report better PQ with 1080i source then 1080p source from the same HD Disc player.

I've heard the same, one question though, Can HD DVD sources be 1080/60p? I'd say for film(24p) it does not matter but if video sources are @ 60p(if it's possible on HD DVD) then it would probally make a difference on a 1080p display.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Would not the 720p output from the XA2 be superior to the internal scaling of the HD70? Or can the HD70 not pass a native signal striaght to the mirrors without running it through its own internal processing chain?

Quote:
Another aspect, is it not true that HD-DVD players max out at 1080i, where as a Blu Ray player can do 1080p?

Not true. The XA2 does 1080p as does the Xbox 360 HD DVD player. Most HD DVD discs are encoded in 1080p. I can't say for sure if they all are. Perhaps Amir would know?

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw528is /forum/post/0

Another aspect, is it not true that HD-DVD players max out at 1080i, where as a Blu Ray player can do 1080p?

HD-DVD does not max out a 1080I One needs to distinguish between Display Resolution and Signal Transmission..................1080I is a signal TRANSMISSION not a display resolution (in digital anyway). All digital displays can only display a "P" progressive image weather it is a 1080p 720p ect............HD-DVD player can send a 720P signal up the cable to the 720P projector and display it without doing any down compression(math) or a 720P Projector can receive a 1080I signal and compress it down(math) to 720P and display it. The only difference is where the compression takes place at the player or the projector.

My 720p projector is almost 2 years old so I get a slightly sharper picture if I let the NEW HD DVD Tosh players(chip) do the Math.............The chip in my projector is vary good but the player is better.

A BD player takes the disks content 1080P/24 (HD DVD disks are the same 1080P/24) and rips the image file apart into a 1080I does it's Math thing called Pull Down (both do pull downs) and then compresses it down to a 720P and sends it to the 720P projector(I have tried to stay within the original question of this thread a signal to a 720 projector) Samsung BD player has a choice of 1080P /720P/ 1080I over the cable allowing one to see if the players chip or the projector chip does a better job with all the math. Sony's BD player talks to the projector over the HDMI cable and auto selects 720p out to the projector, not sure if you can over ride it on the Sony, but in this high tech war anything could change at any time(and usually does).

1080P projectors handle the signals and math a little different......mostly not quite so much of it. Man I have a headache talking about this Cr_p. Bottom line Both formats BD or HD DVD gives you a drop dead good looking picture. Second bottom line is the only problem I have with Blue Ray is the price......yes I know BD laser technology has the potential down the road to hold more computer data and that might make my computer happier, but as MOVIE quality goes their both only as good as the movie laid down on the disk and that resolution is 1080P/24 and that resolution only takes up so much space. The Math coprocessor chip in my WALLET says it likes being fat vers thin.

Sorry Sony but my Kids college said my wallet owed them first............LOL

Sheeese it's 3am I sure hope I did not screw to much of this stuff up in my sleepy state.

Good night.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i am pretty sure that digital TV's can run 1080i or 480i, interlaced... i have a info button on my remote control to my LCD screen and when i set the HD DVD player to output 1080i signal it also says 1080i on my LCD screen when i press the info button to see my screens resolution...

·
Registered
695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpedersen /forum/post/0

i am pretty sure that digital TV's can run 1080i or 480i, interlaced... i have a info button on my remote control to my LCD screen and when i set the HD DVD player to output 1080i signal it also says 1080i on my LCD screen when i press the info button to see my screens resolution...

The display is just telling you what signal the tv is receiving. The tv then converts it to progressive in the native resolution of the tv.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
As stated. No matter what resolution you send to your digital display you are actually vieing what ever your digital display panel really is.

And that is going to be "P" only, there is no interlaced at the point of the display panel itself.

They are commonly 480p, 720p,768p, or 1080p.......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Guess it's all about conversion and how your equipment performs this task. I realize this is off topic, but is there a visual difference between source material converted to 720p from 1080i or 1080p? I assume this all depends on the hardware involved. Also, I don't believe a component cable can pass a 1080p signal, so this must be done using HDMI or VGA?

·
Registered
275 Posts
my questions aswell. I have a 720p/1080i TV. I am deciding whether to get the x-a1 or buy a 1080p native tv and buy the x-a2. But if the Picture Quality between 1080i and 1080p isn't that significant i believe it would be a waste of money to purchase a 1080p TV.

Am i correct in saying this?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'm debating what to buy myself and was going to get the 60" XBR2 but the width of that set with the dumbo ears is killing me. I know this question is not projector related but sounds like the same will apply.

I was wondering about the whole 720p,1080i,1080p thing. I was looking at the Panasonic TH-58PX60U 720p plasma. I'm sitting 14' away and using a XA2 and a PS3. Will I even notice not going with a 1080p set?

Jim

·
Banned
1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O /forum/post/0

Would not the 720p output from the XA2 be superior to the internal scaling of the HD70? Or can the HD70 not pass a native signal striaght to the mirrors without running it through its own internal processing chain?

Not true. The XA2 does 1080p as does the Xbox 360 HD DVD player. Most HD DVD discs are encoded in 1080p. I can\\'t say for sure if they all are. Perhaps Amir would know?

only disc one disc that i own is 1080i not 1080p from teh rest and its chicago earth wind and fire and it looks good i say better then the eagles farewell tour concert

·
Registered
5,279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O /forum/post/0

Not true. The XA2 does 1080p as does the Xbox 360 HD DVD player. Most HD DVD discs are encoded in 1080p. I can't say for sure if they all are. Perhaps Amir would know?

What video out on the Xbox sends 1080p? A friend brought over his with the HD-DVD attachment but only had the component video and that sends 1080i max.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.