Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i recently pickedup a pair of TOTEM model 1 which are 4ohm, the rest of my speakers are 8ohm will this cause any problem using a denen 5800 for watching films in a 5.1 setup

peter m.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The denon should have no problem with that setup. If listen at VERY high levels it's possible the receiver will go into protect mode. If it does than you'll know the speakers are drawing too much.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Joe,

thanks for the quick response.

i don't have the Denon in my possesion yet,( my brother is sending it from Vancouver when he receives the 5803).

I know that the denon has the juice to handel this, what i don't quite understand is when watching a film, how will the receiver handel the power needs of the totems yet not overload my Paradigm center and sub as well as my quad firing Axioms which are all 8ohm's.

my brother tells me that the denon has a 4ohm spec for stereo, but nothing lower than 6ohm for surround. i am not very experienced in this area, i guess i had assumed that since the channels were separate, the denon handels each according to it's own needs.

Joe could you elaborate a little?

thanks again,

Peter m.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hellp Peter m

Denon has stated repeatedly that it's receivers can handle 4 Ohm loads, just they are not rated to do so, both here on the forum and on their web site as well. Having 4 and 8 Ohm speakers together should not make any difference at all.

Joe's point is that if the Denon receiver has a hard time powering the speaker, it overheats and then shuts itself down to avoid any damage. This is not likely with the 5800. If you are worried, see how hot it gets -- first, before installing the new Totems and then afterwords, to compare. If it gets significantly hotter, or just too hot to touch, that would be a sign that you ned to change.

Michael

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi Peter,

If I understood you right, your front speakers are going to be 4 Ohms and rears 8 Ohms, all connected to the same amplifier. In this case you would need to adjust the volume for the rears/fronts because your fronts would sound 2 times louder due to the lower impedance (considering all other equal).

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Michael,

i guess i should ask myself if an av receiver that dishes out 170w (if the term is discreet) to each and every channel separately can't handel these 1 foot high speakers, what can?

am i making the wrong assumption that the denon will recognize the 4ohm and 8ohm speakers respectivly and treat them accordingly when it all comes down the pipe and becomes sound for a dvd decoding a 5 or 6.1 offering.

I presently have an Onkyo ts-dx575 rated at 70w per channel. the speakers now in play are Bang & Olufson l/r , Paradigm center and powered sub and Axiom quad firing surrounds, ALL 8 ohm.

the plan is to replace the amp with the Denon and replace the B&O with the Totem's and add a pair of Paradigm Mini monitors as extra surrounds.

thanks for your input

peter m.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Kir,

yes that would be the plan, and i think there is no shortage of adjustments and balancing of that nature, but you bring up another interesting point. I'm not a techie so your patience is appreciated.

Would part of that volume adjustment be setting the Totem's to small?

I am also planning on using an spl meter and maybee finding a local AVS member here in Toronto who is an audiophile to give me some guidance over the phone or even in person if he or she has the time to give it a gander.

thanks

peter m.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Hi Peter,

Setting the Totems to small would only redistribute the bass according to the way your amp does it. It's really a personal preference whether you want all the bass to go to your subwoofer, or LFE channel only. There are 2 camps that will defend each view until cows come home :)

Enjoy your setup! I really heard a lot of good things about Totems!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Sensitivity, not impedence, will determine how your speakers match up regarding loudness. Having less impedence means the amp is working harder to achieve the same db levels. A 4 ohm speaker is not twice as loud as a 8 ohm speaker. It may even be quieter.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
turbobuick86,

As I said - would sound 2 times louder due to the lower impedance (considering all other equal).

I was hoping it would be clear. Otherwise we would need to take too many other things into equation. Peter got it right - SPL meter is the answer :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.