Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those with their scalers or HTPC's hooked to HDTV RPTV's:

Is 540p (or 1080i) hooked up to their TV's...how does it truly look???? Is it a MAJOR improvement?

I want to spend very little on a HTPC or scaler setup, like $1000 or far less, being that I have seen the Crystalimage and other nice scalers for sale on the used side for around that price (which I have heard can do 540p).

I also feel like I would like to see MAJOR benefits from either a HTPC or scaler over just using standard component and s-video inputs and internal upconversion. I want to see the computer scale stuff to 1080i type resolutions and make "regular" TV watchable.

Either way, Is it a BIG improvement???? Can I achieve what I am looking for??? Or will I be disappointed in spending the money?

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Well, I have a FPTV set up and it makes a world of differance.

In your case I take it that you are not running at least component video from a DVD player or have a component in on the tv?

Simple experiment is to run a component signal from a DVD player to the TV and compair it to the normal composite signal. You should see a big improvement.

This little experiment will show you what you should expect to see from normal off air signals upconverted to a higher quality signal. Of course you are now going to have to use a VCR or external tuner and then run that through the scaler device to make antenna/cable signals work. All your other sources will either go to the scalers other inputs or through the AV preamp then to the scaler instead of to the TV as they problably do now.

I would say that if you see any scan lines now you can just about eliminate them with an external scaler, and this will give you better results from the tv. (higher resolutions)

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
I just read your post again and to some extent I answered my own question I had in the above post.

IMOP,YES, you will definetly see beter results from external equipmet. TV's scalers are usually just basic and make it just to the point that the tv functions. You can not get the highest quality scalers and projectors all in one box so everything is just made to function and look ok.

if you use external gear you will be using the TV just for its projector, thats all it really is good for anyway. You can then feed it a better quality signal and see what it is truly capible of.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcar473
To those with their scalers or HTPC's hooked to HDTV RPTV's:

Is 540p (or 1080i) hooked up to their TV's...how does it truly look???? Is it a MAJOR improvement?

I want to spend very little on a HTPC or scaler setup, like $1000 or far less, being that I have seen the Crystalimage and other nice scalers for sale on the used side for around that price (which I have heard can do 540p).

I also feel like I would like to see MAJOR benefits from either a HTPC or scaler over just using standard component and s-video inputs and internal upconversion. I want to see the computer scale stuff to 1080i type resolutions and make "regular" TV watchable.

I can give you may experience with a very high-end RPTV -- A Barco Retrographics 801s, which is a Barco 801s graphics chassis in a rear projection housing.

There is a HUGE difference between 480i and 480p in this setup (using a Skyworth 1050 DVD player, which has the Sage de-interlacer chip, to do the 480p conversion). In fact, one can occasionally visually resolve scan lines even with 480p (the fesnel/lenticular screen seems to be the limiting factor), and the 720p feed looks even better.

I am unable to compare these results to the results of a typical built-in scaler. But, given the visible difference between excellent 480p and 720p, I would presume that you would see a significant difference at 480p between an excellent and mediocre de-interlacer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.