Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those with their scalers or HTPC's hooked to HDTV RPTV's:

Is 540p (or 1080i) hooked up to their TV's...how does it truly look???? Is it a MAJOR improvement?

I want to spend very little on a HTPC setup, like $1000 or far less, being that I have seen the Crystalimage and other nice scalers for sale on the used side for around that price (which I have heard can do 540p).

I also feel like I would like to see MAJOR benefits from either a HTPC or scaler over just using standard component and s-video inputs and internal upconversion. I want to see the computer scale stuff to 1080i type resolutions and make "regular" TV watchable.

Either way, Is it a BIG improvement???? Can I achieve what I am looking for??? Or will I be disappointed in spending the money?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
the short answer is yes ;)

the better the source 480i, the better the upconvert to 540p/1080i will look. with a clean 480i source, upconverted images on many rptv look quite good. on the flip side, garbage in, garbage out although most sets have noise filter options which may help.

no matter what i or anyone else says your best bet is to see it for yourself. go to the store of your choice and watch tv for a while and change channels or ask to play a dvd. seeing is believing.

it sounds like the internal scaler built in to the rptv may be all you need which is fine. you can always consider adding an external scaler or htpc at a later date should your needs change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.