AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is will the STB put out an unencrypted Dolby Digital stream that will work with our present AV receivers or will we need new AV receivers to decode the 5C audio.

I have seen no talk about the studios trying to do protection of the audio stream. I assume they will allow the digital audio to go out unencrypted.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The new Mitsubishi integrated HDTVs with IEEE1394 will have digital outputs for DD5.1 to you AV Receiver.

I would also expect the Promise Module for Mitsubishi up-gradable HD set to also have an digital audio ouput.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I think it was DVI/HDCP that had a limitation of 48 khz unencrypted digital audio but I'm not sure about 5C.

I always seem to forget this but if you search I'm sure I've posted a reference in the last couple weeks. Or you could just search for 'audio' within the text of the two license agreements.

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarovs>

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I just followed my own suggestion and searched the DTCP agreement. It seems it has the same restriction as HDCP of a max of 48 khz, 16 bit digital.

See the DTCP agreement

Quote:
4.6 Audio, Digital. Except as otherwise provided in Section 4.4, Licensed Products shall not output the

audio portions of Decrypted DT Data in digital form except in compressed audio format (such as AC3) or

in Linear PCM format in which the transmitted information is sampled at no more than 48 kHz and no

more than 16 bits. Adopter is cautioned and notified that the requirements relating to audio may be

revised.
------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarovs>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.