AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m thinking about getting a 3D tv from Vizio they have 3 models out but they have HDMI 1.3 . Do I have to have 1.4 inputs on the TV itself or is this just for the receiver to have HDMI 1.4. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I believe the TV itself has to have HDMI 1.4, like the new Samsung 3D HDTV's coming out this summer, and the receiver must has it as well.

The receiver part is just a guess though, it may just take a firmware update. But it would make sense with the new players coming out and all.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbal4 /forum/post/18179715

well I`m glad I`m told this because Vizio has new sets coming out that are 3D but have HDMI 1.3 and not 1.4 I wonder why is this ??

http://www.vizio.com/news/VIZIOLaunc...DTVTechnology/

I'm wondering if it's just a mistake in the chart. It says the sets aren't coming out until August, so by then HDMI 1.4 will be available on top of the line sets from all of the other manufacterers. I'm guessing that Vizio will be offering HDMI 1.4 as well. It's not like they had a column listing HDMI 1.4 with the boxes blank.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire407 /forum/post/18179765

I'm wondering if it's just a mistake in the chart. It says the sets aren't coming out until August, so by then HDMI 1.4 will be available on top of the line sets from all of the other manufacterers. I'm guessing that Vizio will be offering HDMI 1.4 as well. It's not like they had a column listing HDMI 1.4 with the boxes blank.

yea this is true so I will just wait and see what happens it probably is a typo error on the part of Vizio not having HDMI 1.4 on there new sets.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't think they have everything figured out yet. For instance the link above to engadget.hd, and Sony has been saying for a while the PS3 will do 3d, but it is only 1.3

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you plan on getting a 3D blu-ray player and want it to send THD3D content to a 3D TV then the TV has to support the HDMI 1.4 since that is what the player will output in. And if you have an AVR between them then the AVR to has to be one of the new models recently announced that supports HDMI 1.4.AFAIK there are no 3D HDTVs available yet it the stores that suppport HDMI 1.4 but there should be a lot of them in the next 3-4 months.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18246063

The 2009 Mits models will do 3D and they don't have HDMI 1.4

Probably because they will be using a 3D format converter to convert all the different 3D formats to Checkerboard which is the 3D format of the Mits displays .

Called a 3DC-1000 3D Adapter

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbal4 /forum/post/18179674

I`m thinking about getting a 3D tv from Vizio they have 3 models out but they have HDMI 1.3 . Do I have to have 1.4 inputs on the TV itself or is this just for the receiver to have HDMI 1.4. Thanks for the help

I, like others on this thread, think that this is just an oversight on the spec sheet. What counts are the features that the display has (including the specific 3D formats that they will show). The HDMI organization is trying to ween us of reliance on HDMI version numbers. According to them :

Quote:
Limited Use of Version Numbers for Non-Cable Products

* Effective as of January 1, 2012, all non-cable products cannot make any reference to HDMI version numbers. Until that time Adopters can use HDMI version numbers only when the feature or features associated with that HDMI version number is clearly specified. For instance, a manufacturer can describe a product as featuring "HDMI® v.1.4 with Audio Return Channel and HDMI Ethernet Channel," but may not describe a product as being "HDMI® v.1.4 compliant."

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18248725

AFAIK another less capable 3D format such as the one used on PS3s today will also be available from the 3D BR players that only requires HDMI 1.3.

Actually there isn't any current 3D format on PS3's today. The one that James Cameron's Avatar the game, and Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao uses, isn't any kind of standard. The developers simply programmed the 3D mode into the game, without any help from Sony. You have to go into the option menus, and select your specific 3D situation, and you also need a 3D display that can activate 3D via a 720p or 1080p resolution for it to work.

Now, having said all of that... in about 4 or 5 months Sony will release a special firmware, that will allow a very specific format of Stereoscopic 3D to operate (frame sequential), and according to Don Mesa, Senior Product Marketing Manager for SCEA, it will absolutely require a display with a hdmi 1.4 input. There is always the possibility that Don Mesa is mininformed, and PS3's will work with some current 3D ready displays with hdmi 1.3, but right now I would think it to be a slim chance.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillMan17 /forum/post/18246492

3D will only work over 1.4

We all know that isn't true. For Full 1080p 3D, yes, you'll need HDMI 1.4, but there are other methods that don't require it.

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
A 3D HDTV must be compatible will all of the mandatory 3D formats defined by the just released HDMI 1.4a spec. in order be compatible with all types of allowed 3D video sources.. Since no HDMI chips have been certified yet against this new HDMI 1.4a spec. then manufacturers cannot yet specifically say they are fully HDMI 1.4a complient. For 3D sources the situation is different since a given source needs only support one of the 3D formats specified by the HDMI 1.4a standard and in some cases existing HDMI 1.3 hardware along with software emulation of a very limited subset of HDMI 1.4 features is all that is necessary. This appears to be what is being done with the PS3 (with a planned firmware update and running the emulation software in the console's cell processor) to support the highest resolution 3D format (called Frame Packing, 1080p, 23.98/24Hz). Other existing standalone Blu-ray players implement more of the HDMI and video processing functions in dedicated hardware (rather than a general purpose processor) and have no way of adding 3D related features via a firmware update.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Ron, frame packing doesn't mean full 1080 HD 3D. There are various methods used in frame packing. And a 3D HDTV doesn't have to accept them all, a true HDMI 1.4 compliant display does, but there are plenty of 3D-Ready displays on the market that aren't HDMI 1.4 compliant. Mits is currently (as of yesterday) pushing their DLPs, which aren't HDMI 1.4 compliant, by relying on their converter.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blambert007 /forum/post/18250530

I haven't seen any TV's in the 2010 line up that have HDMI 1.4. Has anyone else?

I have the new Samsung 55c7000. It has HDMI 1.4. You can download the manual from Samsung support and read all about it. I am sure many other new models have 1.4 also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts