AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I can get HDTV reception for my cars. My Acura MDX has a DVD system with video and audio inputs to play things like gaming systems, etc. Is there any low costs devices that I could hook up to pull in over the air hdtv signals and display them on the monitor with audio.

I looked at the Autumnwave OnAir GT for getting hdtv signals for my laptop computer, but it looks like you can only hook it up via usb to your computer. So I wouldn't be able to use that in the car like I would like to do.

Are there any devices that can act like an antenna to get the signal, tune it and sent it via video and audio cables to the cars monitor and audio systems?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Locking on to UHF/VHF digital transmissions in a moving vehicle is about impossible. I don't believe there is much if any of a market for mobile tuners and/or antennas as a result.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Correct, 8VSB wasn't designed with mobile in mind. Besides, you shouldn't be watching TV while driving! kidding.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1raven /forum/post/0

I was wondering if I can get HDTV reception for my cars. Chris

Just what we need..more idiots driving cars while smoking, drinking, talking on the phone, and watching TV to boot..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know much about the feasibility of actually getting signal, but a stand-alone OTA tuner would provide the functionality you're looking for. unfortunately, I can't seem to find one for less than about $150. of course if you can't get signal in the first place...

bill

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Someone actually tried using a Samsung DTB-H260F in a car going through Chicago recently, and posted about it in this forum, probably in the long thread about this receiver. It didn't work out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My question was for people in the back watching tv, not me. Or if I was parked somewhere and I wanted to watch it while waiting for my wife to go shopping for what seems like an endless amount of time at the mall.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
At CES, Samsung had some prototypes of A-VSB mobile TVs. Your local stations would need to upgrade to this, but it is backward compatible with 8-VSB. We all probably won't see that for years.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a Hauppage ATSC USB "stick" to get OTA HD on my laptop. Keep in mind that starting March 1st, 2007 (in only a few weeks), EVERY television set, regardless of size will be required to have an ATSC tuner integrated.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Directv has a mobile service. Don't know the price and or performance (it's different than a satellite dish on a RV).

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan /forum/post/0

I have a Hauppage ATSC USB "stick" to get OTA HD on my laptop. Keep in mind that starting March 1st, 2007 (in only a few weeks), EVERY television set, regardless of size will be required to have an ATSC tuner integrated.

It doesn't matter what the tuner is built into - it won't receive any better while moving.

·
Registered
450 Posts
In my buddies van, he uses a Glomex tv antenna right into a Westinghouse TV that has a built in tuner. His HD reception isn't that bad. The key to HD reception in a car would be a well made omni directional antenna that can handle the ground plane introduced by the cars metal.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is making an HD tuner for cars, but they are already being put in some high end boats, it will just be a matter of time before someone makes one for a car. The antenna however, well, good luck with that.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoldier /forum/post/0

In my buddies van, he uses a Glomex tv antenna right into a Westinghouse TV that has a built in tuner. His HD reception isn't that bad. The key to HD reception in a car would be a well made omni directional antenna that can handle the ground plane introduced by the cars metal.

Are you sure they're getting HD/DTV? With HD there's no "isn't that bad" - it's either there or not. Maybe they meant the break ups are not bad. Yeah, the antenna would be an issue but other issues would be just as problematic (like multipath,etc)

·
Registered
450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 /forum/post/0

Are you sure they're getting HD/DTV? With HD there's no "isn't that bad" - it's either there or not. Maybe they meant the break ups are not bad. Yeah, the antenna would be an issue but other issues would be just as problematic (like multipath,etc)

Breakups are what I'm refering to. He lives in Chester County PA, so multi-path interference isn't a very large problem, but he lives close enough to Philly to get quite good reception. On the stations he doesn't get, my COM3010 is still showing some signal on those freqs, even out on route 30 doing 65 miles an hour. I would assume if he had a tuner that was a little more sensitive than the ones in the TV, he would have less break-ups and probably pull in a few more stations.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts

Quote:

In my buddies van, he uses a Glomex tv antenna right into a Westinghouse TV that has a built in tuner. His HD reception isn't that bad.

Only if he's not moving.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/0

Only if he's not moving.

It is possible to do while moving faster than 1 mph. ATSC isn't designed to do it, and in order for it to work with current products, you would have a bitrate so low that is would mean SD only. In order to do it at full bit-rate, you could mount two identical antennas(radiation patterns and polarizations), and a reciever capable of doppler compensation (can be done on the cheap with a Dibcom Chipest modified to do the calculations for ATSC).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan /forum/post/0

Yeah, how many years in the row it has been a requirement never met by mfrs?

·
Banned
90 Posts

Quote:

It is possible to do while moving faster than 1 mph. ATSC isn't designed to do it, and in order for it to work with current products, you would have a bitrate so low that is would mean SD only. In order to do it at full bit-rate, you could mount two identical antennas(radiation patterns and polarizations), and a reciever capable of doppler compensation (can be done on the cheap with a Dibcom Chipest modified to do the calculations for ATSC).

Did a Google seach and come up with an HDTV receiver. Seach for Dibeg. Click on first hit then on

"The overview and the technology document of the ISDB-T system"

then on

"Introduction to ISDB-T System in Japan"

page 11 shows an HDTV mobile receiver.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.