AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Asus Xonar d2x soundcard which I use digital output to my Pioneer Receiver. The receiver doesn't have any analog input and only capable of decoding 5.1 signal. On the other hand I got a Logitech X540 5.1 analog speakers lying around since i bought the Pioneer receiver.

My question is will the sound be better if I use analog output to Logitech x540? Or digital output to Pioneer receiver through toslink cable?

·
Registered
537 Posts
What kind of speakers is the pio hooked up to?

If they are anything better than PC speakers, stick with the pio.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
Well SPDIF out is the same quality regardless if it's from an auzentech meridian, creative X-Fi or your onboard realtek (discounting audiophile jitter reports).

But SPDIF is not inheriently better than analog.

So the comparison we have is

DAC

Xonar v Pio - winner likely xonar

Amp

Logitech v Pio - winner likely pioneer

Speakers

Logitech v ??? - without the ??? I can't call this one.

I think it's likely just going digital to the pioneer will give the best quality sound since the x540's are good for computer speakers, but not so much against real home theater equpiment. Then again if the pio setup is pure home theater in a box stuff, they may be closer and the xonar's analogs maybe the way to go.

We really need more info.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Sheeze Zack, yer splitting hairs (or atoms
) All this digital vs analog probly don't matter. What matter is the quality of the speakers AND your power amplifier rating (higher rating tend to provide cleaner sound even when played at low levels).

We purists distain PC (self-powered) speakers 'coz we think no honest-to-God amplifer can possibly be housed along with the speaker(s) in one box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/17002477

Well SPDIF out is the same quality regardless if it's from an auzentech meridian, creative X-Fi or your onboard realtek (discounting audiophile jitter reports).

But SPDIF is not inheriently better than analog.

So the comparison we have is

DAC

Xonar v Pio - winner likely xonar

Amp

Logitech v Pio - winner likely pioneer

Speakers

Logitech v ??? - without the ??? I can't call this one.

I think it's likely just going digital to the pioneer will give the best quality sound since the x540's are good for computer speakers, but not so much against real home theater equpiment. Then again if the pio setup is pure home theater in a box stuff, they may be closer and the xonar's analogs maybe the way to go.

We really need more info.

My Pioneer Receiver is not any expensive model but a HTP-330 which come with 6 small wooden housed speakers. Output is 600w total and I mainly use them in a fairly small bedroom.

That's why I'm so confusing. To hook up xbox360 was the reason why I bought the Pioneer Receiver.

I'm wondering should I just use back Logitech for normal mp3 listening and use Pioneer when watching blu-ray and HD DVD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts