AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5040 I was thinking of updating my HD. Does it make a difference except for file size. Because right now I can back my shows up to my pc for extra hard drive space. My unit is still warrantied for parts and I did not want to void the warranty on the equipment?

Any thoughts or suggestions

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, it definitely makes a difference. I plopped a 7200 rpm 180gb WD drive in my rtv and it's really fast now. Menus are snappier.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Some have said the difference in speed is minimal, while others claim it to be quite a substantial boost. One thing is for sure - if you are in any way worried about voiding your warranty, DON'T open the thing up.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Getting a 7200 rpm 8 mb cache rather than the stock 5400 rpm drive makes a huge difference in the gui (at least it did for me and a number of other people who have reported here). Menus are much much snappier. If you're doing this, go ahead and get an 8mb cache 7200 rpm drive rather than a 2mb cache 7200 rpm drive. There was some uncertainty about how much the cache (as opposed to just the rotational speed) contributed to the improved responsiveness, but the prices between teh 2mb and 8mb cache aren't that large and so I wouldn't risk going with the smaller cache drive.

As fror voiding the warranty, suit yourself. My own view (strictly my own, make your own decision, blah blah blah) is that if everything seems to work ok, the only thing likely to go wrong in the future is the harddrive (which you can fix yourself and get RMA's directly from maxtor anyway), so the risk seemed to me to be relatively small.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Alan,

Did the new drive only improve menu speed, or did it improve overall remote responsiveness in other situations as well? Also, does the new drive run noticeably louder or hotter than the original drive? What kind of drive did you use for the upgrade?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
Alan,

Did the new drive only improve menu speed, or did it improve overall remote responsiveness in other situations as well? Also, does the new drive run noticeably louder or hotter than the original drive? What kind of drive did you use for the upgrade?
Mostly menu responsiveness (that was the main thing that was sluggish), but it's a bit snappier on responding to commands. I don't notice heat oen way or another (since the unit is well ventillated and the fan seems up to the job). The drive doesn't seem to be any louder - I've got amset set to on and maybe that does the trick.

The dirve I went with is a maxtor 200gb 7200 rpm 8 mb cache drive.

Back to my earlier assertion about the warranty, I'd be interested in what others think about that. I can't recall anyone with a working 5xxx unit who has ever reported subsequent failures that don't sound like harddrive failures. The complaints are for things like stuttering, continuous reboots, etc. (which almost certainly are harddrive problems or file corruption that can be fixed with a reimage) -- we never hear about power supplies or other things that you'd love to use the warranty for. So I'm not sure how risky it is for someone to void the warranty on a working unit and drop a new drive in.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq

The drive doesn't seem to be any louder - I've got amset set to on and maybe that does the trick. The dirve I went with is a maxtor 200gb 7200 rpm 8 mb cache drive.
Is it a fluid or conventinal bearing drive?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
Is it a fluid or conventinal bearing drive?
fluid.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
In the "drive makes a tremendous difference" department" remember a few things:

1) Replays mostly stream data as opposed to random access seeks.

2) If you look at drive tests on Tom's hardware and other sites, the difference between say 5400 and 7200 is a few percent, not "tremendous".

3) Replay staff have said it doesn't matter and that the drive is not a limiting factor.

4) Drive people have said the way Replay uses the drive means caching is not a major player.

5) In tests, 1/3 of patients given sugar pills get better.

I've done a half dozen upgrades. I still looking for the "big improvement".

This is all superflous anyway. In the drive sizes we're talking about, 5400rpm drives are becoming extinct.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I have used hard drives with spindle speeds from 4500rpm to 7200rpm in my PVRs and can not tell any difference in performance including no difference in menu speeds. None of mine are networkable so maybe some differences could be observed with newer PVRs.

Chris

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I think the claims of "tremendous" improvement come from people who upgrade machines that have not been rebooted in some time and have large numbers of dead processes or memory leakage.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard

I have used hard drives with spindle speeds from 4500rpm to 7200rpm in my PVRs and can not tell any difference in performance including no difference in menu speeds. None of mine are networkable so maybe some differences could be observed with newer PVRs.
I believe that people have only touted the benefits of a faster drive when upgrading the 5000's. The older machines don't seem to be affected one way or the other.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
In the "drive makes a tremendous difference" department" remember a few things:

1) Replays mostly stream data as opposed to random access seeks.

2) If you look at drive tests on Tom's hardware and other sites, the difference between say 5400 and 7200 is a few percent, not "tremendous".
When you have a 5040 that is

1) recording show A

2) playing show B

3) streaming show C

In this case, I think we can safely say we are no longer talking about sequential access and instead a random access seek r/w pattern.

7200rpm drives can definitely Write data faster than 5400rpm drives. On the read side, sometimes 8MB caches are more important than rpms, it depends on the application.

I think bottom line with prices I'm seeing today, there is only maybe $10-$20 difference between the drives at any given capacity, so you might as well get 7200rpm 8mb FDB drives as it certainly won't hurt your performance and the price difference is minimal. BTW I'm talking about sale prices (of which there seems to be a new one every week), not list prices.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub

I think bottom line with prices I'm seeing today, there is only maybe $10-$20 difference between the drives at any given capacity, so you might as well get 7200rpm 8mb FDB drives as it certainly won't hurt your performance and the price difference is minimal.
I definitely agree. The only time you shouldn't use a 7200 RPM drive is if you are upgrading a pre-4000 series Replay. In this case, I would recommend using a drive that runs a cool as possible unless you retrofit the Replay with some sort of active cooling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I upgraded my 5040 with a 120GB 7200RPM 2MB cache Maxtor drive. With this upgrade, I did not notice any substantial improvement in menu responsiveness. In particular, the menus are sluggish when there is something currently recording or playing.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I've put fast drives in a 4040 and a 5040. The upgrade does absolutely nothing to performance in the 4040. But there is no doubt in my mind that the menus speed up in the 5040. No, this is not due to my machines being full and in need of a reboot. I've never waited more than 12 hours between the time I've purchased a replay (I've had 4 of them in my time) and the time I upgrade.

That said, I am not claiming that there is any improvement on mpg streaming or anything like that. All I and others have said is that the menus are snappier and the remote is more responsive. Chris, if you don't have a 5xxx then your experience is not relevant -- I've never heard anyone say that any pre-5xxx replay becomes more responsive with the upgrade.

As for sugar pills, if any of you prefer to ignore the relatively consistent experience (not unanimous, but relatively consistent) of those of us who have done this, so be it. The reason most of us upgraded was to go from 40 GB to 200 GB, and the responsiveness improvement was just an unexpected side benefit.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shengdawg
I upgraded my 5040 with a 120GB 7200RPM 2MB cache Maxtor drive. With this upgrade, I did not notice any substantial improvement in menu responsiveness. In particular, the menus are sluggish when there is something currently recording or playing.
You are one of hte few who went with a 2mb cache drive...I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything, I'm just pointing it out. Others who are smarter than me can speculate about this.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
You are one of hte few who went with a 2mb cache drive...I have no idea if that has anything to do with anything, I'm just pointing it out. Others who are smarter than me can speculate about this.
I put a 7200rpm 2mb cache drive in and it made a world of difference. I can now access recorded shows while the rtv is recording another. That used to be so slow with the original drive it wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
In a Replay, unlike a PC, the weakest link is not the drive. Even the lowliest drive/cache will feed data much faster than the Replay can encode/decode.

As to the menu being real fast, the interface is a program running on the CPU and in memory and not from drive accesses. It's like saying, "Wow, since I changed my drive, Excel calculates my spreadsheets twice as fast."

The interface is going to depend on the processor and if improvement is noticed it is most likely from the hard reboot killing dead threads when the drive is changed.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
In a Replay, unlike a PC, the weakest link is not the drive. Even the lowliest drive/cache will feed data much faster than the Replay can encode/decode.

As to the menu being real fast, the interface is a program running on the CPU and in memory and not from drive accesses. It's like saying, "Wow, since I changed my drive, Excel calculates my spreadsheets twice as fast."

The interface is going to depend on the processor and if improvement is noticed it is most likely from the hard reboot killing dead threads when the drive is changed.
Yup, and its completely obvious the world is flat too. Just look at any field.

I gather the 5xxx accesses program data and the like in a way different from what you expect, so that it's not true that the cpu is the weak link; there have been numerous threads on this.

If you have upgraded a 5xxx (not a 4xxx, but a 5xxx) with a 7200 rpm 8 mb drive, then I would be happy to hear your view. Have you? (I'm serious -- this is not a rhetorical question, since I have no idea if you have or haven't; if you have, I'd be pleased to hear your experience.)

And let me reiterate -- my experience had nothing to do with filled drives and 'dead threads'. I had owned my 5040 for about 12 hours when I upgraded. And yes, I rebooted beforehand so that I would be able to more accurately assess the impact of the upgrade.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.