AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in College station 85 miles outside of Houston and can just get traces of the signals using a large ratshack antenna. I was just wondering if a preamp would help with DTV signals. The antenna is in the top of my attic, but I do plan on moving it out on the roof with about a 6 foot mast.

·
Registered
924 Posts
In your situation absolutely, try the channelmaster 7777. I think there are 1 or 2 members from college station that have had luck with Houston reception, do a search for College Station and you will find their posts.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dynamohum1
In your situation absolutely, try the channelmaster 7777. I think there are 1 or 2 members from college station that have had luck with Houston reception, do a search for College Station and you will find their posts.
Do you know if the CM-7777 works with any brand antenna or does it specifically have to be a Channel Master?

I'm actually in Cypress (just on the fringe of Houston) but my antenna is attic-mounted. I get a fairly good signal on some channels but not all. Most likely a pre-amp will solve my problems.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It will accept a coax line so yes any antenna will do.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
At 85 miles, you will need more than a pre-amp. You will need a top of line antenna and a height of 30-35 (plus) feet above ground level. This may not be enough. And you will need a line of sight to the antenna. I have found that around 60 miles is about the limit to receive digital signals on a regular basis with little or zero dropouts. To be honest, everything will have to fall in place for you to receive those 85 mile distant UHF digital stations. Good Luck. I am not saying it can not be done but it will take some work on your part...and some money.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm 60-65 miles from both Syracuse and Buffalo, NY, and I can get DTV from each. I"ve tried antennas in the attic (didn't work), and antennas outside with and without the preamp.

I was never successful without the preamp. I use a ChannelMaster 7775, which is a UHF-only preamp.

Good luck, and let us know if you can pull anything in from 85 miles out.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.