AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a receiver, oh say a Onkyo HT-RC260, be mounted to a wall so its "feet" are on the wall? This would really help the aesthetics of my setup but I'm unsure if it is proper to operate the equipment in such a position. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Are the vents going to remain uncovered? Is the mounting going to be strong enough to support it? That receiver weighs a hair over 25lbs.

BTW, I'd love to see the setup where mounting it like that "help the aesthetics." Not criticizing it, just trying to wrap my mind around it.

·
Registered
391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/19560862

Are the vents going to remain uncovered? Is the mounting going to be strong enough to support it? That receiver weighs a hair over 25lbs.

BTW, I'd love to see the setup where mounting it like that "help the aesthetics." Not criticizing it, just trying to wrap my mind around it.

Is the projection on the ceiling, and you watch lying down. I'd like to see this setup too.

PF

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The Onkyo 805 receiver had a keypress sequence that you could enter to display the current internal temp on the display. If the HT-RC260 has a similar sequence, you could try it and see what the temps are in the normal orientation, and then you could do a trial placement in the vertical position for a while and check to see if the temps are similar. Be sure to watch a movie at relatively high volume in both orientations to ensure the validity of the test.

-Max

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. The whole hot air rises thing. So, each heat sink fin will be transferring some of its heat to the vane above rather than all being able to directly release to air as designed. Depending on your actual power demands, orientation might not really matter. As Harry Callahan would say, "Do you feel lucky?"

Anecdotal. I run an 805 strictly as a preamp in the proper orientation with the Onkyo recommended air space above and to the sides. By being a preamp only, the power amp section is essentially running in the idle state. I also use the 4 ohm speaker setting, which lowers the idle power consumption by 40 watts according to Secrets' measurements (imagine placing a 40 watt light bulb inside a receiver chassis). Even with this configuration and two 140mm PC cooling fans laying on top, I still read 100ish °F from the internal probes. Now, remove all of the benefits of the extra cooling and idle state consumption to guestimate what your proposed orientation with an active speaker load might do to the RC260's internal temps.

-Brent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.