AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use an extension cord from the outlet to the surge protector and then plug everything into that?

My apartment layout is situated as such that my a/v equipment is in the middle of my tiny NYC studio and the Belkin Surge Protector I just bought will not reach an outlet directly.

Am I ok connecting it to a heavy duty extension cord?

·
Registered
528 Posts
While I have been told not to daisy chain devices together, my IT guy does have a UPS on a low gauge extension cord.

FWIW, I have known this guy to be cautious to the point of paranoia.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You can. You might check the literature that came with the surge protector, or look it up online, to see what it recommends. I personally prefer to plug mine directly into the wall, but know that isn't always possible.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think it will void the warranty and so if any damage occurs nothing will be covered if you use an extension cord. Check the manufactorer fineprint on that one.

·
Registered
528 Posts
IIRC, those equipment replacement warranties only cover what your homeowner's policy will not.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewB. /forum/post/0

I think it will void the warranty and so if any damage occurs nothing will be covered if you use an extension cord. Check the manufactorer fineprint on that one.

Cause the unit will report back how it was plugged in?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure the extension cord is a grounded version (3 prong). If you were to use an ungrounded (2 prong) you are defeating the surge protection. Most surge protectors shunt surges to ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before you worry too much about how far away your surge suppressor is from the wall socket, PLEASE CONSIDER that the wiring in the wall leading to your socket is probably already a very long run already. Thus, the ground wire in the socket is probably already a long ways away from the grounding rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts