AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have 2 DIY 15" Dayton subwoofers in a 16x11 room. The box sizes are about 30x25x22.

They are both running on the same channel on my Behringer EP 4000 and my transducer is running on the other channel. My volume for the subs are almost maxed out on the amp and the receiver.

I'm wondering will I have an increase in sound quality or bass response if I were to split both the subs onto their own channels on the Behringer?

Also, I'm wondering from an EQ sound quality perspective would i benefit from eq'uing my subs separately on my mini dsp. Currently I'm pretty flat to 12 and I have to say my subs do sounds amazing, they can shake my inerds. Although I feel like they could be a little more tactilely responsive.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
It will increase the sound quality if the amplifier is clipping. Otherwise no, it won't do anything.
If you buy two amplifiers they will only be working half as hard and run 50% cooler (in theory), so the amplifier will thank you.

A doubling of power is 3db louder (assuming the cones can handle the extra heat and the extra 50% excursion.)
The more excursion the more distortion.

If you double the number of cones you also get an extra 3db, or half the needed excursion for the same SPL. More cones is always better than more amps.

The maximum wattage is always available on an amplifier regardless of the gain knobs position. It's only a matter of sufficient input voltage (short of input clipping that is).
I can clip my EP4000 with the knob at noon, for example. But I'm using XLR (real XLR, not an RCA adapter.)

If you want a better amp you should look into a Crest CC-5500, basically double the power of a EP4000 in the same rack space.

But you'd be better off going with 2 UM-18's and a nu6000DSP for the money!
Bigger cones almost always win, they usually have more power handling, a bigger/stronger magnet (and more excursion/surface area/displacement of course!)
A nu6000DSP is about twice the power of a EP4000 and 1/3 the weight. I've seen both amps in action in person, it does in fact appear to be more powerful!

Those boxes might be big enough for 4 UM-18's dual-opposed and 2 nu6000DSP's, just double check the mounting depth to be 100% sure. That would be a LOT of extra bass in the same floor space. (Just a matter of money...)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will increase the sound quality if the amplifier is clipping. Otherwise no, it won't do anything.
If you buy two amplifiers they will only be working half as hard and run 50% cooler (in theory), so the amplifier will thank you.

A doubling of power is 3db louder (assuming the cones can handle the extra heat and the extra 50% excursion.)
The more excursion the more distortion.

If you double the number of cones you also get an extra 3db, or half the needed excursion for the same SPL. More cones is always better than more amps.

The maximum wattage is always available on an amplifier regardless of the gain knobs position. It's only a matter of sufficient input voltage (short of input clipping that is).
I can clip my EP4000 with the knob at noon, for example. But I'm using XLR (real XLR, not an RCA adapter.)

If you want a better amp you should look into a Crest CC-5500, basically double the power of a EP4000 in the same rack space.

But you'd be better off going with 2 UM-18's and a nu6000DSP for the money!
Bigger cones almost always win, they usually have more power handling, a bigger/stronger magnet (and more excursion/surface area/displacement of course!)
A nu6000DSP is about twice the power of a EP4000 and 1/3 the weight. I've seen both amps in action in person, it does in fact appear to be more powerful!

Those boxes might be big enough for 4 UM-18's dual-opposed and 2 nu6000DSP's, just double check the mounting depth to be 100% sure. That would be a LOT of extra bass in the same floor space. (Just a matter of money...)
Man that is a hell of an answer. Thank u for that.

Honestly I have enough bass. I just wonder can I go lower with hz and can it be say cleaner and faster bass. I've never heard subs better than mine so I don't know what I could be missing by not having 18's. My bass is currently almost mind blowing good. I can only imagine something better.

What exactly does more excursion mean?

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Changing the amp will not lower the frequency response of the speakers, just make them louder (potentially, if the drivers themselves do not limit first).

Excursion is how far the cone travels (moves) -- second definition below:

ex·cur·sion
ikˈskərZHən
noun
a short journey or trip, especially one engaged in as a leisure activity.
"an excursion to Mount Etna"
synonyms: trip, outing, jaunt, expedition, journey, tour, road trip; More
technical
an instance of the movement of something along a path or through an angle.

More excursion generally means the speaker can play louder, and/or play with less distortion at the same loudness as a lesser driver.

Reactions: Madmax67

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changing the amp will not lower the frequency response of the speakers, just make them louder (potentially, if the drivers themselves do not limit first).

Excursion is how far the cone travels (moves) -- second definition below:

ex·cur·sion
ikˈskərZHən
noun
a short journey or trip, especially one engaged in as a leisure activity.
"an excursion to Mount Etna"
synonyms: trip, outing, jaunt, expedition, journey, tour, road trip; More
technical
an instance of the movement of something along a path or through an angle.

More excursion generally means the speaker can play louder, and/or play with less distortion at the same loudness as a lesser driver.
Sorry, I meant what does extra excursion do. Bass said more excursion means more distortion, but I'm guessing he means more excursion within the same woofer. So I might be experiencing distortion because I'm pushing my speaker to the limit. Where as if I had a speaker with a higher Xmax then I would be able to get lower distortion.

Is distortion essentially referring to clarity of bass.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
The further the cone moves the more nonlinear it will get. So yes if you are pushing the limits of your speaker you will get more distortion.. Distortion comes in many forms and can reduce clarity, add higher harmonics (which may make it sound louder and "fuller" since those higher harmonics are easier to hear, but they are still distortion), a raspy buzzing sound, and if you exceed the physical limits of your driver can cause thumping and rattling as the speaker hits its physical (mechanical) limits.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
on another note, it is quite possible that the pre amp signal from your receivers sub out is not strong enough for the pro amp that you have. That might be why you have them both maxed out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
on another note, it is quite possible that the pre amp signal from your receivers sub out is not strong enough for the pro amp that you have. That might be why you have them both maxed out.
Is there a way to increase the output voltage of the LFE signal. I actually use a MiniDSP that has input gain control but I'm not sure if this is the same as increasing voltage or just like a volume increase that will simply turn up the amps volume.

I saw someone somewhere talking about balance inputs or outputs and this giving them better voltage but have no idea what they specifically meant.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Is there a way to increase the output voltage of the LFE signal. I actually use a MiniDSP that has input gain control but I'm not sure if this is the same as increasing voltage or just like a volume increase that will simply turn up the amps volume.

I saw someone somewhere talking about balance inputs or outputs and this giving them better voltage but have no idea what they specifically meant.
There are items designed for this purpose. One of them being the Henry Matchbox Pro, another being the ART clean box pro. I use the Henry between my Pioneer receiver and Crown K2 power amp for my main speakers. Others with more knowledge can speak more about whether these are needed or not. I got mine used off of Ebay for 50 bucks some years ago.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/297763-REG/Henry_Engineering_MB_THE_MATCHBOX_HD.html

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
A volume control increases the voltage passed to the next stage.

Turn up the gain on the miniDSP and see if it helps.

The miniDSP unit comes in a balanced version that has higher output voltage for amps that need it. That may or may not help since you do not know exactly where the limitation occurs in your signal chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts