AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own aerial speakers, but after auditioning their cc3B and cc5 center speakers I was very unimpressed, they used to have the cc3 which was designed to be a center, which was a great center, their current versions are just their L series turned on their sides, obviously a cost cutting measure, are there any company's that still design a center that is just not 1 of their speaker lines turned sideways !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many companies make dedicated center channel speakers, however the benefit of using the same speaker for LCR should be obvious - they have the same drivers and should (at least in theory) have more seamless timbre across the front channels.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well, B&W makes the Nautilus HTM1 & HTM2. If they're not "dedicated" center speakers, I guess I don't know what a "dedicated" center speaker is...

What is your definition of a "dedicated" center speaker?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
You only get identical sound with identical orientation and placement with respect to solid surfaces like TVs. If you have identical LCR speakers one of which is sideways and atop a single piece TV, it is going to sound radically different in the mid-bass region.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Revel has 2 different dedicated centers. They have adjustments for placement such as on the TV or on a stand. The theory is that you should use the same speakers in the front, but as pointed out above placement differences and orientation change the sound a lot. My current setup is 3 identical speakers, in the same orientation. You can clearly hear the differences between the LR and C speakers when listening to white noise (for calibration). I started out listening to the use the same speakers crowd (my current setup), and am now in the dedicated center crowd (until and unless I go to a perf screen and identical speakers, with identical placement and orientation).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.