AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a DVD recorder, standalone tuner or STB somewhere that lets RTV change channels on a QAM tuner? It would certainly beat a DTA box?


I expect "no," but here's hoping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
Why would it beat a DTA box?


You can blast about any code but the problem with ClearQAM is the channel numbering.


I did that for a while with an LG 3510A for ClearQAM locals but it was a big challange in WiRNS to renumber the raw channels. When everything was finally HD OTA I switched the 3510A to OTA and eventually dropped cable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
I don't know how it all works, but WOW's clear QAM numbering translates to their old analog channel numbers in my Samsung TV.


Even after they've changed it all around, it still maps correctly. (I know they've changed it around, because the numbering has changed in my Hauppauge tuner.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts
It's possible to map the ClearQAM subchannels with PSIP but most probably don't because they want you rent a box.


My Samsung DTB-H260F also does ClearQAM but the tuning on it was even worse, I believe it wouldn't tune any subchannels without the "-".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL /forum/post/20816973


It's possible to map the ClearQAM subchannels with PSIP but most probably don't because they want you rent a box.

When I spoke with the WOW folks at the office, when I went to pick up a cableCARD, the guy I found knew all about the transition--and he was the one who clued me in about their standard lineup remaining in the clear, albeit QAM.


As we talked, it was obvious that WOW had spent, and was continuing to spend, quite a bit of time planning and executing this transition CORRECTLY.


WOW really knows what they're doing, and they care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1991 /forum/post/20817110


...it was obvious that WOW had spent, and was continuing to spend, quite a bit of time planning and executing this transition CORRECTLY.

Perhaps the most important thing to come out of that whole ordeal, was they finally got you *bumped* off analog cable after all these years?



(guess you are apparently not one to act on your own if WOW! doesn't force your hand? But you do get credit having ReplayTVs however that happend)



I never went through that whole "clinging to analog cable" thing, by the time I got my first Replay 2020 more than 10 years ago it was to manage the digital boxes. The early pizza dish services took me from 70 channels to several hundred. And back then they were quality channels, compared to today. More importantly that combo gave me *much* more control of my ever limited viewing time, including the two sets of national locals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
If it was inevitable, better that they do it with some forethought and planning and benefit to the consumer.


Or, I could just sit here with my legs crossed and my head between my knees and rock back and forth, crying about analog going away and ignoring the reality around me...nah.


I stuck with analog as long as I could, because it all just worked and I had Replays and with the Replays watching TV for me I had no need for any other channels. It's not about quantity, it's about quality. The Replays were grabbing the quality for me, plenty enough and then some to fill the hours I had available for such entertainment.


What do you mean by "you are apparently not one to act on your own if WOW! doesn't force your hand"? I *did* act on my own--very deliberately. I very consciously and deliberately stuck with analog.


Why do you say that my sticking with analog means "not acting on my own"??


More and more, your posts are harassment.


It's not about QUANTITY of channels. It's about QUALITY of what's on the available channels. Sure, satellite can give bazillions of channels; so what? More isn't better; only better is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
with ClearQAM and replaytv is the numbering of the digital channels. I'm not sure that, even with WiRNS, you can get the replaytv to produce a "-" or a "." separating the channel number from the sub-channel number. For example one channel on the cable might be 2.91 (channel 2, sub-channel 29) and another might be 29.1 (channel 29, sub-channel 1). This is bypassed in OTA HDTV because the sub-channel is always a single digit. Thus with an OTA box (like the CM700), one can get away without the ".". I'm not sure if anyone has tried to encode the "." character in an IR description and then used the channel remapping function in WiRNS with the embedded "."?


-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomon /forum/post/20818968


with ClearQAM and replaytv is the numbering of the digital channels. I'm not sure that, even with WiRNS, you can get the replaytv to produce a "-" or a "." separating the channel number from the sub-channel number. For example one channel on the cable might be 2.91 (channel 2, sub-channel 29) and another might be 29.1 (channel 29, sub-channel 1). This is bypassed in OTA HDTV because the sub-channel is always a single digit. Thus with an OTA box (like the CM700), one can get away without the ".". I'm not sure if anyone has tried to encode the "." character in an IR description and then used the channel remapping function in WiRNS with the embedded "."?


-Chris

Some of the QAM channels here would require 7 characters (for example channel 102.720). Can a Replay handle 7 characters.


BTW, most of the subchannel numbers in use here are the same as the numbers used on a digital box. That example would be 720 on the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomon /forum/post/20818968


... I'm not sure if anyone has tried to encode the "." character in an IR description and then used the channel remapping function in WiRNS with the embedded "."?


-Chris

I have been doing it for years. Almost anything is possible with a small number of channels. For instance if you have a group of channels that collectively don't use all 10 digits then the unused digit can become the "-" or "." but it does take a very special single purpose blaster rid file and code, used only for that input with those few channels.


As well a rid "digit" can hold up to three characters and you can hide extra things in 0 and enter. I have rids that blast two devices in tandem (channel and rotor) and another one can create "states" using an IR AB switch such that 07 gets state B and everything else (that doesn't end in 7) gets state A.


I posted a Zenith/Insignia CECB rid on jp1 that has "-1" on enter which allows it to tune the primary HD channels. The reason "-1" was needed is because with those converter boxes, the first 7 sends it to 7.1. If already on 7.1 the next 7 blasted would send the box to 7.2 (not 7.1 as desired) If you do a WIRNS subchannel scheme and want to use that rid, then turn "send enter" off to use as a regular rid with no "-1". That rid allowed those boxes to tune OTA HD channels without WiRNS, using a sat lineup with everything but locals add/removed.


There are many possibilities with RidGen and WiRNS.


But they don't work well for a moderate number of non-PSIP ClearQAM channels. In that case the DTA works better since it serves to map odd subchannels to whole numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlloyd /forum/post/20819043


Some of the QAM channels here would require 7 characters (for example channel 102.720). Can a Replay handle 7 characters.


BTW, most of the subchannel numbers in use here are the same as the numbers used on a digital box. That example would be 720 on the box.

I've been thinking about this one. The LG LST-3510A could likely still do that with a limited number of HD channels. The 3510A has a favorites feature. My ClearQAM locals were all packed into a handful of RF QAM channels, with only a few SD channels sharing those RF slots. So I made an HD local in the center of the group the only favorite channel. And then blasted the number of needed channel up or channel down (with a one second pause in between) to get to the channel needed. Perhaps 5 blasted "favorite" then one went up one channel, two went up two, three went down one, four went down two. I believe I believe I fit two "channel down" commands separated by the one second pause into a single rid digit. So blasting 4 digits gives a range of about 17 such channels. Of course in that case you have to account for SD channels you are skipping past sharing the RF slots in use. The 3510A wouldn't allow deleting individual subchannels only whole RF slots. So it really depends on how they are packed.


I did that for the better part of a year and I was lucky during that time those channels never moved or required a rescan.


As for using 7 digit channels, that's a good question. 5 *may* work, I'm using "Minimum digits to send: 5" presently and that works flawlessly. I could quickly make a 7 digit channel to test by entering it directly into the WiRNS DB and have on the Replay (with single netconnect) in 2 and 2. But what I can't think of is an easy way to test if it works. The best way is to actually tune a channel of course. If the test channel "maps" to under 999 then that's a good sign. But still need some way to test that the replay is blasting the correct 7 digits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL /forum/post/20820073


...I could quickly make a 7 digit channel to test by entering it directly into the WiRNS DB and have on the Replay (with single netconnect) in 2 and 2. But what I can't think of is an easy way to test if it works.

I tested and it appears 5 digits works* but not 7. The 7 digit channel gets mapped down (and always after the 5 digit channel) but both only apparently "blast" 5 digits. I can't test the tuning but it does blast 5 distinct "pulses" for the 5 digit channel with the delay set to 1000 ms.


The replay is aware that the 7 digit channel is above the 5 digit channel but it still only blasts 5 pulses. Channel 1111111 maps above 99999 so it doesn't necessarily simply get truncated to the first 5 or the last 5 digits.


*I'm guessing it works fine with 5 digit channels. Blaster output appears to be normal for 5 digits but not confirmed for tuning.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top