AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. I am looking for a new antenna to recieve my local channels in HD. Where I am moving they do not want a big metal antenna on the roof so I was thinking about buying this one but have never heard anything about it before. It is an antenna that looks like a satelite dish, but it's not. Has anybody ever used this or heard anything about it? Any opinions on it?

http://www.goxium.com/Xiumair1.htm

Thanks for the help

John

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Total crap! Dish type antennas are totally ineffective for UHF, and I'm not even talking about VHF.

Kirill

·
Registered
924 Posts
Some of the best antennas for UHF are dish or parabolic type antennas, however this does not look like it will fall into the good or best catagory. The reason the others are so good has more to do with the physical size of the reflector, the 7 foot channelmaster comes to mind. This one looks like a gimmick.

·
Registered
399 Posts
In the Q&A section of link for this antenna it says:

"Where do I point the XiumAir for the best tuning?

The XiumAir is an omni-directional non-amplified antenna. No pointing or tuning should be necessary. However, we have found that pointing the XiumAir dish "away" from the TV stations, you would in many cases, receive better quality reception. The XiumAir utilizes the dish as a reflective ground for the spilateral unit located on the front of the dish. Most would assume that the dish is used as a parabolic reflector, but that is not the case with spilateral technology. In field testing, we like to position the dish in a central direction from all of the available broadcast towers. This allows us optimum test results for obtaining the best reception."

So its an Omni-directional dish ??? OK

Seriously you may try the Zenith Silver Sensor for a small antenna.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I was also considering the channel master 4221 because it didn't look too big. Does it work well? Does anybody have that one? Also does it come with that pole that it goes on. If not where do I get one and how do I put the pole on the roof?

Thanks for all your help

John

·
Registered
731 Posts
Most antennas do not come with the "pole" or mast - you can pick one up where you buy the antenna or at you local Lowes or Home Depot...which also sell antennas. How far away are the broadcasting towers from your house? I have the antenna inside my attic - mostly for aesthetics and it work beautifully, although the furthest tower from my house is about 25 miles and I have no large buildings near me.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your address/zipcode and it will list all the digital TV channels in your local area with a color-coded signal level and antenna pointing direction. A smaller directional antenna will work well for the channels color-coded yellolw or green, for red/blue you would need a larger outdoor antenna with a preamp. Also note the channel numbers for the digital (-DT) channels, if they are all 14 and above they are UHF which allows for a much smaller low profile antenna. The real long antennas have a large section for the lower VHF channels.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The 4221 should work well for "green" UHF channels. The 4221 will usually also pick up highband VHF channels 7-13 fairly well. If you have lowband VHF digital channels 2-6, you would get better results with a VHF/UHF combo antenna.

The 4221 is not very big and not too visible from the street. You can install it on a mast, on the side of the house (if all your stations are in one general direction), or in a tree. It can also be painted to blend in with surroundings, with no affect on signal strength.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.