AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ... Well my dad is thinking of making our new home's basement a home theater place and has asked me to send him a 32 foot or longer HDMI cable ... My requirements are that I need a HDMI cable which is 32 feet (10 meter) or longer, and is HDMI 1.4 certified ..

So I've been looking around and I found this one cable:

http://www.dcables.net/Commercial-In...D-35-Feet.aspx

I know what you're thinking .. it says its 28 AWG, but on this page: http://www.dcables.net/35_ft_HDMI_Cables.aspx , it says its 24 AWG (first one from the top) ..

Also, I looked at Monoprice and BJC as well .. I know a lot of people recommend Monoprice, but the thing is their 35 feet cables don't list HDMI specific features, only their 'Hi Speed' cables do .. And BJC claims that all their cables are capable of supporting HDMI 1.4 features, but they don't explicitly list them on their website, and also their cable is a bit expensive ..

So this dCables cable is found I found .. It lists all HDMI features and is also relatively cheap ... What do you guys think ? Anybody here have experience with this cable ?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There is another thread around here where Kurt from BJC explains why he doesn't list features. Essentially, the reason is that the only HDMI features relevant to cable are the speed they are certified for and whether they support ethernet or not. All the other HDMI features don't depend of the cable, other than it speed. A certified high speed cable with ethernet will support anything defined by the HDMI specification. There is no such thing as a HDMI 1.4 cable, just standard or high speed, with or without ethernet. The only thing new in cables with 1.4 are the audio return channel and ethernet.

FWIW there are no certified high speed passive cables longer than about 25'. Beyond about 30', IMHO you are best served getting the best cable you can. BJC Series 1 is arguably one of the best going. OTOH others here have reported success with long monoprice cables. In the end, what will work depends on the cable, all the electronics involved, what you are trying to jam down the cable, and the environment. There are no guarantees. 1080p60 should be doable at considerable length. Up the bit rate with Deep Color and 3D, and the maximum distance drops.

IMHO any manufacturer or seller that lists a HDMI cable as 1.4, or a high speed cable over about 25', is not to be trusted. The former is against HDMI logo guidelines. Ask to see the certification report for the latter.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I assume you want the 1.4 for 3D stuff?

If not, a cable run that long might be better served by a Cat5E/Cat6 cable. The cable is pretty inexpensive and you just hook it into these HDMI wallplates . That was the recommendation from my local audio store (that was selling the wall plates for $100) and they're pretty good guys for the most part, definitely knowledgeable. I just went to monoprice and got the plates and a 35 foot cable.

·
Registered
744 Posts
you may want to check forum sponsor "MonoPrice"

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought a 50' Monoprice and it is working great!

Do online chat with them and they will recommend a cable that fits your needs.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka /forum/post/19585937

Thing is I don't really know how CAT 5/6 cables are used in this context .. I just know of plugging in simple HDMI cables, and thats it ..

The answer is a balun. Plug a HDMI cable in to the box and the box sends the signal over 2 Cat 5 to a box on the other end. On that end plug in another HDMI cable.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Second for MonoPrice !!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I talked to two monoprice reps in detail and I'm convinced that their 35 feet cable should be okay ...

next question is this: They have various different cable options

Here is the list of all available 35 feet cables they have, along with their prices:

1) 24 AWG cable.. $23

2) 24 AWG 'flat' cable.. $23

3) 22 AWG cable.. $31

4) 22 AWG 'silver platted' cable.. $45

Their rep naturally recommended the last option to me as being the best at transferring signals .. But how much better is it ? I mean installation for a 22 AWG is also more difficult I understand .. Also, in the 24 AWG category, he said the 'flat' cable option is better as its more noise repelling, and is easier to install .. but i noticed people still go for the normal 'round' HDMI' cable ... Any logical reason for this ?

Basically need a recommendation from among these choices from the community now ..

·
Registered
69 Posts
For me I bought the 50" 22 AWG silver plated. Even for the extra money these are still a great price. I wanted the best possible cable for my long run. Did I really need it, I will never know. I guess the extra money was worth it to me. I know the nickels and dimes start to add up when doing your theater, but just skip the Starbucks this week and get choice #4.

Currently running my PS3 to my Epson 8350 and no issues. Should have my receiver as the middle man this weekend.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its not really the money thats bothering me (its only another $15-$20) .. its the installation which is bothering me ... 22AWG presumably are more difficult to install from people have told me ..

·
Registered
137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka /forum/post/0

its not really the money thats bothering me (its only another $15-$20) .. its the installation which is bothering me ... 22AWG presumably are more difficult to install from people have told me ..

If you are installing it before your drywall goes up no problem. It is a bit harder to fish in a wall if you already have drywall installed...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually I'm not sure what the wall is like in which this installation has to happen .. My dad is having the basement being built right now and he told me to send him a cable .. I dont actually know the status on the basement building itself .. However, I think my dad plans to have the HDMI cable pass through a conduit which has two 90 degree bends in it ... So would a 22 AWG cable be fine with a conduit .. ?

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka /forum/post/19590376

Actually I'm not sure what the wall is like in which this installation has to happen .. My dad is having the basement being built right now and he told me to send him a cable .. I dont actually know the status on the basement building itself .. However, I think my dad plans to have the HDMI cable pass through a conduit which has two 90 degree bends in it ... So would a 22 AWG cable be fine with a conduit .. ?

Ran mine through 1 1/2" conduit from Lowes, the grey stuff in the electrical aisle. I used a sweep 90 deg and was pulling on the cable with a string and having someone push at the same time to make the bend. The cable is stiff but that was not the issue. The end (plug) is pretty large.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Be really careful. Comments like "I ran XYZ 40' with no problem". Well that may be true but he may be getting 1080i or 720p and not knowing it. He certainly would not be getting Deep Color or higher frame rates. As well, what may work on Monday in one house may not work on Tuesday in another when you get beyond 25'. Indeed, certified cables beyond 25' must be active meaning you'll have a power supply on one end of the cable.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

There are and have been cases of manufacturers putting HDMI labels/logos on non-compliant products. I suspect the dCable you mentioned is not certified HighSpeed (several red flags on their website). I suggest you contact HDMI at www.hdmi.org and ask if it is on their list of compliant products.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts