AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will say this first, on my vga LCD projector, DVD looks just fine. However, my friend has recently purchased a 32" wega, and to be honest, the TV is so detailed that DVD just looks bad. I watched several DVD's, including 5th element, Star Trek Insurrection and Gladiator. You could see Mpeg2 artifacts everywhere. If you sat far enough away, it wasn't that bad, but any section with slight gradation in colour, or edges around contrasted images, you could tell quite easily. It seemed that the image has a permanent graniness to it, that just wasn't pleasing. I find it funny that the better the display, the worse the source looks. The DVD player was a) a PS2, and a new sony DVD player, have forgotten the model number. Both looked the same.

Does anyone else experience this?

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi David,

I thought that DVDs looked pretty darn good until I saw HDTV at SXGA resolution. Wow!

I think that it does depend a lot on the DVD, too. Most digitally transferred animations look great (Bugs Life, Toy Story), but HDTV surely is something I would love to see more of.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
It sounds to me like you are describing the DRC circuit operation (a primative line doubler) built into HDTV-ready WEGAs. This circuit is much inferior to a quality external line doubler, or to a HTPC driving the TV at real 480p with no internal DRC scaling/doubling. The DRC has jaggies and crawlies.

Gary

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
David,

I'd also guess that the problem lies with your friend's TV.

He should make sure that his sharpness settings are off, and he should setup the display with VE or Avia.

The DVDs that you mention look fabulous on my G15, so it's probably not the DVD's fault. Also watch brightness and contrast settings.

-Dean.

·
Registered
430 Posts
David,

I see something roughly similar on my 100 Hz digital scan direct view CRT. Perhaps not a grainy image, rather artifacts from ringing and some slight posterization making the image look artificial. On my other sources, CRT projector and CRT computer screen, there are absolutely no such artifacts. The poor image quality you are describing is not MPEG2 related. Correctly encoded DVD's (like the ones you mention) should give you very high quality images.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
David,

I occasionally watch DVD with my MITS 33" TV/PC

monitor and I'm not seeing what you're describing

as Mpeg2 artifacts. I see scan lines but

no other image flaws. I have a friend who's using a 35" WEGA (non HDTV ready) and his DVD picture is equally

nice.

Bob Wood

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 06-19-2001).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Many modern TVs on their default settings will look *bad* with DVD, particularly 100Hz TVs, because they carry out processing on the image. In the menus for your friend's TV, disable things like noise reduction, lower sharpness, and disable any "AI" or other processing. This should help to eliminate most artifacts introduced by the TV. Some TVs (like Philips) will allow you to set an input in the menus as "DVD", "Digital source" or similar which will tell it to disable most processing for that input.

·
Registered
163 Posts
David,

I have the Sony 36' XBR400, it has been ISF calibrated and I can tell you that I saw none of the artfacts that you and your friend saw after the calibration, I only had limited use of the TV before the calibration so I can't really make a comparison.

------------------

Brian Ingram

Pardon my terrible spelling :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah..leave it to my forum friends to correct me.

I turned sharpness down, and turned off the the DRC, DNR circuits... however, my friend incorrectly told me he was using component input when, in fact, he was using COMPOSITE!!!

This could explain it...

------------------

David Mendicino

Sharp xv-s55u (Don't laugh) :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Panasonic (non-progressive) DVD feeding a CI to my

DILA with ISCO. Most movies, but not all, compare favorably to most of DirecTV's HBO-HD movies. However, They don't even come close to OTA HDTV. I like CBS's CSI for its outstanding picture. I do agree that the limiting factor in my set up is source material. I find that live HDTV, like sports, the picture will be out of focus. As our systems get better we will notice more and more problems with the source material. I still prefer my HT to the Multi-Plex any day except opening night.

------------------

Jim Nissen

·
Registered
238 Posts
One other thing to add, somebody mentioned ringing! Sony DVD players have been known to have this, from their top of the line to the bottom. I read a review on one of their DVD players not long ago from a magazine, and the reviewer did infact mention the ringing which he himself have noticed on all Sony DVD players he has seen or reviewed (can't remember the magazine). He even notified Sony, and they replied that they could not determine at the time the cause of the ringing and that they would investigate. I for one own a PS2 and a second generation Sony DVD player, and they both in fact exhibit ringing! I've owned other DVD players before, a Panasonic which it too had ringing. JVC was another I had, it was the only one of the three that did not have this effect. I thought as a matter of fact that it had the best picture, the most detailed of the three! Unfortunately, it had other problems and forced me to settle with the Sony! My HTPC does not have any of this, however my Radeon video card....well that's another story!

Gerald

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bob,

The story is ongoing, my Radeon has ghosting! It comes and goes as it pleases, but more so when disturbed at the DVI/VGA connection at the card. It's not very noticeable on the PJ as compared to my monitor, so I can live with it...for now! There's a recent thread on this very topic, others are experiencing similar ghosting on their Radeon as well.

Gerald

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.