AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know how many times I have explained this to her, but my wife will always pick up the fullscreen version of a DVD. I am just wondering if anyone else is married to an untrainable woman, why is it so hard to remember: 16x9, widescreen, or anamorphic, etc. And its not like she is trying to get the wrong one, if she closed her eyes and just picked on out of a bin full of movies, she would always pick the 'foolscreen' I just dont get it.... :confused:

I am just about to settle down to watch fullscreen Chicago tonight, and I know it will distract me to the point of ruining the movie.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My wife is the same way. No matter how mant times I try to explain that the actors heads are not getting cut off in WS movies she argues with me. Now when she buys a movie that is fullscreen I return it for the WS version. After all we have a nice WIDESCREEN TV!!!!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
>>>I am just about to settle down to watch fullscreen Chicago tonight

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
This is a bad thread as it assumes that full screen are the choice of women

I know many guys who are completely clueless on this issue

My wife would never watch anything other than OAR if the choice was there

However, she'll happily watch P&S on our 26"er in the den

Rob

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Have you tried caning?

(I'm kidding, I'm KIDDING!!! :D)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
My ex-wife bought full-screen DVDs.

Twice.

(just kidding)
"Fullscreen!"

Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch.......:D

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Man what a bad way to ask this. My wife is blonde too and this has nothing to do with sex, age or hair color.

I suspect that your wife does it on purpose. Try asking her sometime. Be ready to get an answer you DON'T want. On the other hand she may just be telling you that you spend too much time with your HT and she want's to go out for a nice dinner and dancing.

What's funny is I'm the one that usually suggests that we go out. But my wife never picks up a FOOLscreen DVD.:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
This reminds me of the morning I waited out in front of CompUSA to get the Harry Potter DVD when they first opened. They ran out of widescreen DVDs pretty quickly. I was wainting in the checkout line and a woman approached me asking if I wouldn't mind trading my widescreen version for her fullscreen version. I told her sorry, but no. She said "oh no, my husband is going to kill me, they are out of widescreen versions".

Of course, all kinds of things went through my head as a comeback, like, "I'd kill you too", "What were you thinking?", and the like...

All I could muster was an apology and I told her that the aspect ratio mattered a lot to me too and I didn't want to part with the widescreen version.

My wife just keeps all of the DVD buying and renting to me, it's easier that way.

Cary

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, OMG, I just posted this about 2 hours ago, and 10 replies?!?!

Anyway, happy ending to the story, she voluntarily went back and returned the Foolscreen version and picked up a widescreen one at Blockbuster (Walmart only had the fullscreen left) and she now swears that she will remember to look for the widescreen version next time. I guess it took going back out in the rain to really drive it into her head, but at least it beats caning.

As far as the movie, after 6 Oscars, I expected more, I still never learn not to have high hopes when the reviews are good. It was a good movie, but I think I might still prefer Moulin Rouge. I need to let the movie settle a bit before making the final judgement though.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Warren_G
Haha, OMG, I just posted this about 2 hours ago, and 10 replies?!?!
People love to jump on percieved ignorance or stupidity.

Quote:
Anyway, happy ending to the story, she voluntarily went back and returned the Foolscreen version and picked up a widescreen one

Why hasn't this always been done? Have her tell you what she wants to own in DVD and buy it yourself...problem solved. Who's the one that needs training here? :confused:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Are you kidding? My wife is the one who did all the background research when she surprised me with a widescreen set for Christmas a couple of years back. She'd never make such a mistake. In fact, I'm the idiot that came home with a Full Screen version of "Die Another Day" a couple months ago and thankfully she noticed the label before we opened it. I was sent to my room for the rest of the night. :)

·
Registered
27,569 Posts
Mine also is well trained. The first (and last) full screen DVDs she bought are stored with the other widescreen ones but are still in their original plastic wrappers as I refuse to watch them.

·
Banned
240 Posts
It is essential that one's DVD collection remain pristine whenever and wherever possible. To allow a fullscreen DVD to stain the integrity of a collection is more than a mortal DVD collector can bear. One can always get another wife but the stigma of a fullscreen movie is forever!........

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Hehe - my wife bought the fool screen version of AOTC and has never lived it down, either from myself or my twin boys. I didn't think it would happen, but now whenever she buys a movie she says "See, it says "Widescreen" right at the top.

Sigh - I figured it wouldn't take long for this thread to fill up with champions of the politically correct. Yawwwwn.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.