AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanting to buy this for 3D since I already own a LG HU85LA for 2D movies but I want to know how the 3D experience is due to 3D dimming the screen?

How is the 3D experience?
Is it super dark in 3D with the Optoma Cinemax P1?
Or should I upgrade to a Cinemax pro?

Cinemax P1 -> 3,000 ANSI lumens ____ Up to 1,500,000:1 with Dynamic Black
Cinemax Pro -> 3,500 ANSI lumens ____ Up to 2,500,000:1 with Dynamic Black

Room Light: Controlled
Screen Size: I have not purchased but plan on using a 120"
Room size is: 17x10

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently got one. I think it depends on how dark you plan to have the room and what glasses you have but I think the 3d effect on Bluray is great and bright enough. One note on 3d is I have not found a way to enable 3d SBS or 3d TAB to play mkv files. The option on the projector is grayed out and I don't know why. I haven't contacted Optoma about this yet but plan to soon.

Regarding screen size, be careful with measurements regarding the 120" for the screen. I have a 100" screen for mine and the height from the feet of the projector to the bottom of the white screen is about 15.5". From the screen to the front of the projector (speaker grill) is about 25". My projector is currently on a 17.5" tall piece of furniture and I wouldn't want to go lower than that (or think that I could without putting it on the floor. I was really hoping the throw of the projector was a bit shallower but I'm not complaining because the picture is fantastic (night and day better than the Xiaomi laser projector I had). If you have 8' ceilings, 100" is about the best you are going to do without putting it on the floor. My room is about 13x18 with 8' ceiling. Projector is along the 18' wall. I also have a blackout shade for the window so the room can get pretty dark.

You do have the option of ceiling mounting the projector if you get the right brackets for it (I think it has something like a VESA 100 or 120 mount holes on the bottom) and you can invert the picture from the projector to do a ceiling mount, but it is a fairly large size to mount that way (and it's black).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just recently got one. I think it depends on how dark you plan to have the room and what glasses you have but I think the 3d effect on Bluray is great and bright enough. One note on 3d is I have not found a way to enable 3d SBS or 3d TAB to play mkv files. The option on the projector is grayed out and I don't know why. I haven't contacted Optoma about this yet but plan to soon.

Regarding screen size, be careful with measurements regarding the 120" for the screen. I have a 100" screen for mine and the height from the feet of the projector to the bottom of the white screen is about 15.5". From the screen to the front of the projector (speaker grill) is about 25". My projector is currently on a 17.5" tall piece of furniture and I wouldn't want to go lower than that (or think that I could without putting it on the floor. I was really hoping the throw of the projector was a bit shallower but I'm not complaining because the picture is fantastic (night and day better than the Xiaomi laser projector I had). If you have 8' ceilings, 100" is about the best you are going to do without putting it on the floor. My room is about 13x18 with 8' ceiling. Projector is along the 18' wall. I also have a blackout shade for the window so the room can get pretty dark.

You do have the option of ceiling mounting the projector if you get the right brackets for it (I think it has something like a VESA 100 or 120 mount holes on the bottom) and you can invert the picture from the projector to do a ceiling mount, but it is a fairly large size to mount that way (and it's black).

Hope this helps.
Thank you for replying!
What glasses are you using?
What screen are you using? I heard with over 1 gain it’s brighter.
how dark is the overall 3D image is it similar to a movie theater or darker?
And I have full control of lightning
Hope to hear from you soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for replying!
What glasses are you using? Elikliv 144 Hz DLP Link ordered on Amazon. They work pretty well for me. I also have a pair of BOBLOV DLP Link 3D Glasses Active Shutter 144Hz Rechargeable, but I would NOT recommend them at all and in fact I plan to return them. They do not sit well on the face at all.
What screen are you using? I heard with over 1 gain it’s brighter. VIVIDSTORM 4K/3D/UHD Mortar Mount Tab-tensioned Screen,Electric Drop Down Projector Screen,100-inch Diagonal 16:9, with White V Cinema PVC, also ordered on Amazon. If you are a pureist I would not recommend it given you can get some waving in the image if there is a ceiling fan or something but I wanted something that would go up out of the way when not in use (Media room is also my office). Since you already have the LG, you probably know this already.
how dark is the overall 3D image is it similar to a movie theater or darker? Who still goes to the movies when you have this thing? JK, but seriously I haven't been to the movies in a while (obvious reasons) but the picture it pretty bright for me. I think the projector actually increases the laser output when a 3d image is detected (but it could be my imagination). The Elikliv glasses aren't very dark (at least for me) so the image looks pretty good.
And I have full control of lightning
Hope to hear from you soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you!!!! I’m going to buy the Cinemax P1
Hope you enjoy it as much as I am. I just couldn't justify the additional (significant) cost of the pro over the P1 when the room I have is already dark enough. If I was putting it in a family room where I can't control the light, that may have changed my decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts