AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has used this set yet and wondering what your reactions were. I have a 56x81 that is giving me problems and Sound Advice has offered to replace it with the 57h81. I called Tosh and got some info on the set, but I was wanting some real-world reviews. I was completely happy w/the 56x81's picture and I would assume that the newer models would have to have more features and better technology.

One of the only things that I disliked w/ the 56x81 is that every input has the same color adjustments to it, and the convergence floated really bad. Does anyone know if the new guys have better convergence and does each input have it's own adjustments?

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I *WAS* about to get the 56H80, but I think I'll go with the 57H81 sometime within the next 2 weeks to 3 months.....

I'll keep you posted.....

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
200 Posts
I should have my Toshiba 57H81 TODAY. I will let you know how I like it after adjustments and some burn in. I do not expect any problems.

dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my 57h81 last week from Onecall. I will relay my experience with it so far.

I have tried several sources except for HD, which hopefully if Time Warner Cable ever calls me back I'll have that soon.

Standard cable on this set looks pretty good. I have digital cable, but there is still a bunch of analog channels and some of them are very grainy. The digital channels, especially HBO and Showtime look very good. They are almost as good as DVD. Dvd, with my "ancient" Toshiba sd-3109 looks amazing. I sat in awe watching the movie Dinosaur. This tv rocks for DVD. Over the air analog tv is ok, but my reception is generally bad.

Now for the bad parts, most of which I hope I will be able to have Toshiba service correct. When watching widescreen movies in "FULL" mode, there is bowing at the top and bottom, and a 1/2 inch or so black bar on the bottom. This is not adjustable via the user menu. Also when I plugged in a playstation using the front S-video port, there was a large black bar on the left hand side of the screen. It was really bad, like 2 or 3 inches wide. I am also sure there is probably quite a bit of overscan (ie, the image projects beyond the borders of the tv. If anyone has any advice on how to correct these problems or who to contact, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I have all my setting pretty low, brightness and contrast are both at about 30. This is recommended especially for the first 100 hours or so to avoid burn-in. I alway try to watch everything full screen, avoiding any bars on the sides or top and bottom of the screen.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. I am very happy with this set, and once I have some adjustments done to it, I know I will be thrilled.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Like Chuckster, I got mine from OneCall too!

After four days of viewing I must say that I am pretty happy. The picture out of the box was very good (except... for a far left focus concern). Color and upconvert looks very good. I am mostly watching Direct TV. Some channels look better than others, and it is obvious that Direct TV's defects become more apparent on a larger screen than I had (36 inch direct view). I view everything in expansion mode 1 and find it very good. I see almost no distortion in most pictures, some slight distortions when there is a pan across.

The far left focus concern seems to be getting a bit better with more continuous operation, but it has not gone away. Automatic convergence and manual convergence adjustments are easy, but do not fix the focus problem. Like chuckster, I turned everything way down from the factory settings, although I think the automatic contrast adjustment does make the picture look better.

I plan on having a 200 hour burn in period followed by a professional calibration.

More comments later.

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.