AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is the configuration I hope to have in a few months!

I'm planning to use a 92" wide 16x9 screen, with black curtains that can be pulled in to cover the letterboxing on the sides when watching 4x3 material. I figure I'll have to run the Dish HD signal through a HTPC in order to "squeeze" the image before the panamorph unsqueezes.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lurker,

I just read your shootout report and speaking as someone who owns an LT150, a DILA and CRT's not one of your many observations was any different from my experiences. You pretty much pegged it all. Yes, by all means, get that HTPC.

I'm reacting here rather than to your thread because feathers always get ruffled when CRT gets praised and I don't want to get in all that anymore. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

But back to this thread's topic. I'm a total newbie when it comes to trying to use an anamorphic lens. You may be right. But I set it all up this morning using component out from the STB. With the 150's aspect ratio adjustments then enabled I blindly tried different combinations of it's AR settings with the STB's different AR settings. I think I may have gotten close to having good 16:9 geometry while using the full panel. But like I say I'm so green at this I couldn't be sure. Maybe someone else will be able to tell us both.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Lurker,

I have a 6000 and 4:3 set, and on HD the picture has tall skinny people, so I think you're set to go with the Panamorph.

But then you have short fat people with 4:3 sources.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some of my best friends are short fat people!

Whoops, better stay on topic.

With the panamorph sqeezing everything vertically, I figure I'll need the HTPC to squeeze 4x3 stuff horizontally. My ultimate goal is to keep my screen height constant. This way, 16x9 material (DVDs and HDTV) will be bigger than 4x3 material. This seems fitting since the 4x3 stuff will be lower res.

Robert Wood: At the risk of starting a flame war (heh heh heh), I'd like to state unequivocally that the CRT image I saw last night was absolutely superior to any digital projector I have ever seen, including the DILA. Furthermore, CRT will continue to be superior until the end of time, and anyone who disagrees is obviously a cross dresser.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you've done it. I'm not sure you fully

appreciate the ramifications of what talking about CRT can do on this forum.

Case in point... you will notice that Noah addressed his answer to you even though I was the one who asked the question, haha. Coincidence? I don't think so. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just keep talking about CRT. Then you can be ostracized like me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not sure as I have an LT100 and only so far have gotten a quick look at the LT150 hooked up to my Dish 6000.

For my Lt100:

I would think that you would want to tell the Dish that you have a 16x9 and then put the LT in "normal" mode thus getting tall skinny people.

Possible Problem:

I think the LT100 disables aspect ratio control when getting an RGB input and auto detects the 16x9 aspect ratio associated with the 16x9 from the Dish 6000 (720p in my case). This is the same as me selecting "wide screen" on the LT100. Thus the people are normal (not tall and skinny). I think the aspect ratio is selectable from component inputs.

I am not 100% sure on this and would like to here from others who have a Dish 6000 and LT150.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Jeez, this is getting complicated. What I'd like to do is route the Dish HD signal through my HTPC, squeeze the image, then send it through RGB to the projector. Similarly, the DVD player in the HTPC should also show tall skinny people. (Some of my best friends are tall skinny people.) Then, the panny would squish everything back to normal.

I'm worried that if I send the Dish directly to the LT150, I'd have to physically unplug the Dish and plug the HTPC to watch DVDs. I'd rather leave the cables alone and work everything from a HTPC and a Pronto.

To paraphrase that schmuck Wallace, CRT HERE! CRT NOW! CRT FOREVER!

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm presently working but when I get back to my HT later I'll run through the different combinations of settings and see which one seemed to work and report back.

Lurker, your shootout report is buried at the bottom of that thread. Suggestion: Copy and then delete that post.

Then paste it into another post starting a new thread and that way many more will see it. BTW, who is "Wallace"?

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
168 Posts
RobertWood: I originally started a new thread, but everyone was responding to the old one. So I copied my review into the old thread and deleted the new. At your suggestion, I re-copied it into a new thread.

Gov. George Wallace was the former gov. of Alabama -- he is famous for proclaiming "segregation here, segregation now, segregation forever". Seemed appropriate in the CRT context! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Noah: I reread your earlier post - are you saying that you can set the Dish receiver to output a vertically stretched image? If so, I could simply pass the image through the HTPC w/o processing and the panamorph would restore it to the proper aspect ratio.

[This message has been edited by Lurker #25 (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, that Wallace. I'm much too young to remember him. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

BTW, how do you input an RGB or a progressive component HDTV signal to an HTPC? I can understand how you would maybe use an HDTV decoder card (i.e. HiPix) to originate the HD signal in the PC. But did not know you could feed the output from a Dish 6000 (or other STB) to a computer.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

[This message has been edited by RobertWood (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't break out the wallet yet, Poobah. I'm still not convinced that it can't be done with the Dish Receiver alone. Frankly I'm very surprised that we don't have a definite answer to that one yet. I guess I'll have to get off my lazy duff and fire the equipment back up again and see if it's doable. Problem is I'm lazy. In order for me to determine this I have to go through all the combinations of aspect ratio settings, measuring the image at the screen each time. And I couldn't find my tape measure this morning. I did get what appeared to be a 16:9 HD promo channel image at the screen with the projected image stretched and filling the panel. But I think it was cropped. And I was getting what appeared to be bad barrel distortion (but not even sure what barrel distortion looks like).

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
842 Posts
I went over this with Grant some time back...

DiSH 6000

Breakout cable

Panamorph

16:9 screen

First. you need to hook up the breakout cable from the COMPONENT OUTPUTS OF THE DISH 6000 TO THE LT-150.

Now hook up a monitor via S-Video and in SD mode enter this sequence on the remote.

Menu 6 1 9

This will take you to HD set up. You need to select 16:9 as the TVs aspect ratio. Then select YPbPR output. You can mess with the choice of 1080i or 720p.

Now select the RGB input on the LT150. Flip the DiSH 6000 to HD mode.

You then need to go to ADVANCED MENU in the LT150. Select Image Options. Select Advanced Options. Select Aspect Ratio. Select NORMAL.

This setting will take the HD singal and draw it over the whole DMD. Everyone will look tall and skinny. Now place the panamorph inline.

The panmorph will do the optical squish to make everything the correct aspect ratio.

There you go. 16:9 1024X768. Great for HD!

Suppose you go to a SD channel. You need to use the # button on the DiSH remote. This provides diffrent strech modes. the first 2 modes are normal and gray bar. both will give you a 4:3 image in the center of you 16:9 screen with the PANAMORPH IN PLACE.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I thought that might work, but we did not have the component cable for the Lt150. This is the same proceedure as my LT100 except I can do it via RGB. The LT150 manual states that the aspect ratio adjustments are available for component input (just not RGB).

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Cool. I'll add this thread to the LT150 Index.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - but Darien's setup would require changing cables to watch a DVD, right? I wanted to run everything through the HTPC to avoid messing with cables.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I use a Kramer VP-211 (I think that is the number) automatic switch to switch between Dish 6000 and the HTPC. I keep the priority channel on the Dish. When the dish is in the HDTV mode the RGB is active and the switch shows HDTV. When the Dish is not in HDTV mode the RGB is off and the switch shows the HTPC. The only possible problems with the setup for the LT150 is wether or not the Dish component output is also off during SDTV (I would guess it is) and if the Kramer would auto switch if one of the sources is component signals. Also I am not sure if the LT150 auto switches input type between RGB(from PC) and component (from Dish).

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

[This message has been edited by Gary P. Gibbs (edited 08-16-2001).]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.