AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had these speakers for several years now. Always loved them, but I know nothing about them. Got them for free because someone spilled coffee on them/thought they were too old. They still work fine, and beat the **** out some more recent speakers, in my opinion.

Searching for Altec Lansing ACS 495 only tells me that a lot of people had driver issues (but apparently drivers aren't needed), and only a few "consumer" reviews written in 1999, 2000 and 2002. They loved them, but yeah... that was 10 years ago.

I was wondering, how are these speakers holding up against current speakers? I'm not comparing them against the best of the best, but I saw someone selling them on ebay for 25$. Don't know how expensive they were back in 1999, but I reckon they cost a lot more than 25$.

Has anyone ever used these speakers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to say it, but I also have two B&O Beovox Redline 45's, even more ancient. What do you think of those?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have the acs 495 and have it hooked up to my loewe aconda TV. the sound it puts out is great. I was given the acs495 which is still performing perfectly in august 2012 and have bought the acs31 system for the outside entertainment deck which performs very well.

I have no idea what the acs495 cost when new but I am also interested.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine at a thrift store for 25$ and I dont think they knew what they had. Ive had them a couple years now and think they rock. I have never hooked them up to my computer tho and I think thats where the drivers come in. I have 5 different types of altec lansing speakers and they are all fantastic. If you find a pair on ebay for 25 dollars by um. I did a little research and found out that JBL speakers were founded by james b lansing a co founder of altec lansing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I came across this site looking for opinions regarding the Altec Lansing ACS 495. I found an article that it says the price was $220 USD, an expensive amount for 1997, it can be compare today if you buy some speakers for $500 USD (i'm saying it was the hard core stuff back then). Someone gave me those speakes and I'm impressed with the quality of the sound, even my logitech was beat by Altec. Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had these speakers for several years now. Always loved them, but I know nothing about them. Got them for free because someone spilled coffee on them/thought they were too old. They still work fine, and beat the **** out some more recent speakers, in my opinion.

Searching for Altec Lansing ACS 495 only tells me that a lot of people had driver issues (but apparently drivers aren't needed), and only a few "consumer" reviews written in 1999, 2000 and 2002. They loved them, but yeah... that was 10 years ago.

I was wondering, how are these speakers holding up against current speakers? I'm not comparing them against the best of the best, but I saw someone selling them on ebay for 25$. Don't know how expensive they were back in 1999, but I reckon they cost a lot more than 25$.

Has anyone ever used these speakers?
The Altec Lansing ACS 495 were commonly sold with Dell PC's back in 1998. They came with the Turtle Beach Software and were really good sounding speakers. If you have driver issues with them, install the realtek audio drivers and they work great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts