AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping receivers for a while, and yesterday I just happened stumble upon what seems to be a pretty good price on a VSX-33; $570, a little more than what the VSX-1120 is currently going for. I have to check that the box isn't missing any accessories, but assuming that that's the case, this appears to be a good deal. (I'm also assuming that the VSX-33 is superior to the VSX-32(or VSX-1120 for that matter), on the basis of... numbers)

The only catch is that it's an open box item. Obviously, that means no manufacturer's warranty. The guy at the booth did mention, however, that Best Buy offers its own warranty, that covers the set for 4 years.

Great in theory, but I'm a little sketchy on buying used items. Do any of you guys have any insight on how trustworthy BB is when it comes to this stuff, or how well they test these things before reselling? I don't want to drop money on a defective unit and get stuck with it. On the other hand, I just love getting value for money

Would you go through with this?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytokinesis /forum/post/19605343

The guy at the booth did mention, however, that Best Buy offers its own warranty, that covers the set for 4 years.

This sounds like the kind of warranty that you would need to purchase, rather than "free" coverage. If you aren't certain, ask.

I would not purchase extended coverage. These things usually either work fine for years or have problems right away. And if it starts having problems, you probably don't want to keep it anyway, so it's better to buy a replacement (using the money you've saved by not purchasing extended warranties :)).

Also, I think bluewaves is probably right that the standard manufacturer's warranty would still apply to an open box purchase. But again, it would be smart to ask.

Personally, I would ask these specific questions:

* let's say I get this home and notice that it doesn't work today -- can I return it for a full refund?

* let's say I get this home and notice that it doesn't work in 3 weeks -- can I return it for a full refund? How long do I have to get a full refund?

* Is the item covered by the manufacturer's warranty?

-Max

·
Premium Member
93,281 Posts
Open box purchases are generally great deals as more often then not they were returned because the previous buyer didn't know how to set it up or reset the microprocessor. You should get the full 2 year mfr's warranty as well as the 30 day return policy. BB employees are also going to always try to upsell you on an extended warranty which as noted is not required.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Agreed, you still get the full mfr warranty and BB will take anything back within 30 days (I've bought and returned multiple open box items).

The only problem with open box items, at least at my local BB is that they are often beat to hell display models with scratches/dings and no accessories. You'd think that they would set aside the bag with the manual, remote etc when they set these things up as display models knowing that they will one day sell the display model, but sadly, that has not been the case in my experience. Other BB's might be a little better with this though - not sure.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
For my secondary HT, I bought an Insignia NS-R5101HD receiver and an Insignia NS-BRDVD3 Bluray player (both as open box items from Best Buy) to go with a NIB Insignia NS-L55X-10A 55" LCD. Almost a year has passed and all items are working great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a top of the line Sony AVR almost 15 years ago from circuit city and it still works great. If the unit is in 'like new' condition and doesn't appear to have been abused by being on the display floor I would go for it (assuming that is the model you want).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts