AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently trying to decide in between an LP350 and LT150. I'm afraid I might be getting caught up in the current hysteria over the LT150 and thereby overlooking the LP350.

For the record, the LP350 is perfect for my current setup. I only question the image quality it outputs. Now, I know that a lot of people on this forum own an LP350. After all, LP350 mania hit this forum a few months ago.

So, is anyone happy with their LP350? Can anyone provide me with good LP350 screenshots? Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don,

Look for Arrow's reviews in the LT150 Index thread. He has both the LP350 and LT150 and shot some comparison pics.

I also have experience with both models. The LP350 is a very good unit, with a superb scaler built in. It is more plug and play, and much more flexible in placement. I was VERY close to ordering one earlier this year. But after an in home demo to measure screens I held off -- I thought the whites were too harsh and the contrast too low for my CRT jaded eyes. I now have the NEC.

The LT150 has a clearly better picture. It all comes down to contrast, and while the LP350 is average, the LT150 is fantastic. This makes a HUGE difference in picture quality. I personally don't see how anyone who saw them side by side in a darkened room would not come to the same conclusion (with a progressive DVD on the LT150).

The NEC has its drawbacks, but picture quality isn't one of them. If you can live with the bulb costs, lighting control, limited mounting distances, the need for a scaler or progressive DVD player, and the occasional rainbow -- the LT150 will give you the best picture for the $$$.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dave

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

Thanks for your input. I've followed your posts and arrow's posts with much intrest over the last few days. My entire setup screams for the LP350's easy-of-use .. yet I'm very concerned over image quality. I compared Arrow's pictures for hours last night and clearly the LT150 looks better. However, there was much speculation that the screen and other environment factors didn't give it a fair chance. I mean the LP350 really looked bad. And every review I've read about the LP350 has been very positive.

Ahhh ... decisions decisions. I appreciate everyone putting up with me. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I had the LP350 for a good long time and I was very happy with it. You do have to work with it to get a great picture and yes you can get a great picture. First a gray screen is an absolute requirement-with the intense whites as they have been described and the need for more contrast the gray screen in one stroke solves two big issues. The other is getting the right DVD Player. Since the LP340/350 series works best with its own internal scaler and the picture controls of the projector are very limited you need a DVD player that has a lot of internal tweaks available. I found the Panasonic RV80 to be the best choice. It has a full array of settings including choice of monitor, brightness, contrast, gamma, video noise reduction & sharpness and I might have left some out. With a gray screen and this DVD Player you can produce a stunning picture that I would gladly compare if I could with the 150.

Lenny

[This message has been edited by leckian (edited 07-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mike-

I had both the pre-light spill fix and lightspill corrected projectors the fix helped some but not enough. I think you can still get an excellent picture with the original LP350. My LP350 was ceiling mounted and I had a good size (14 to 16" square) black heavy cardboard mounted from the ceiling in front of the projector with a very small cut out to let the projected image out only. That solved the light leakage completely. The DLP border that is common with all DLP projectors was masked on the screen with a black border. Yes with the gray screen, the light shield, the black masking for the border, the surrounding walls around the screen painted chimney sweep, and the tweaks with the RV80 I achieved an excellent picture I was very happy with.

Lenny

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lenny:

I had my 350 before the light spill was fixed. I assume that yours did not have that problem. I could put on shadow puppet shows in the stray light around the projected image. Do you feel that light spill fix was successful? (I know that there is some DLP halo, but that does not bother me. The light spill was like a halo supernova.)

Also, I was using S-video out on a progressive scan player whose manual indicated that color intensity on S-video needed to be compensated for in the display. With that player, I never could tweak the color in the 350 up to a satisfactory saturation. With the Panasonic RV80, did you feel that color was good on the 350?

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.