AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaking with a local dealer, he raves about the difference in quality of VIDEO and AUDIO performance after installing even their smallest unit (400s or MkII).

Looking at their website, I went through the testimonials page and the magazine reviews page and am definitely interested.

http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/index2.html

My dealer notice a large difference and promises that after 2-3 days of running it I will too and when I reminded him that I have a DLP projector (NEC HT1000) he pushed me even more citing that my video performance will increase dramatically (blacks even better, colours richer).

I haven't even finished my basement so I will not be ordering it for another month or so but I wanted to know if anyone here has used any Richard Gray Power Company products...

Bruno

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
VooDoo and Black Magic..:) Maybe not.

Bruno both your thread's should be in the "tweeks and do it yourself" forum.

Do a search on "power conditioners" Much has been written.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
In my apartment, i thought it made a slight difference in video quality when doing a before and after test (pausing on a scene, unpluging the richard gray, waiting a few minutes and pluging it in again). To tell you the truth though, I bought it mainly for surge protection as I got paranoid once I started spending big bucks on my equipment (they always get you that way). Supposedly the worse your power supply, the more it helps out.

You should have your dealer bring one over and do the plug unplug experiment on it described above. If you don't see anything, don't buy it. Go on the assumption that if you can't see the picture difference you won't be able to hear the audio difference either. I honestly can say I thought I saw a difference, but my mind could have been playing tricks on me...

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
WSR did not seem to think very highly of them. tpigeon2003, were you using anything else (Monster Power, etc.) or just raw and dirty city power?

·
Registered
309 Posts
DocDVD does alot of work with Dick Mcarthy at Richard Gray..

talk to him

·
Registered
634 Posts
I definitely would not purchase it without auditioning it in your home.

Guys either seem to love it or hate it. Stereophile trashed it although a local dealer of mine also recommends it highly. There's enough negativity in regards to this product that I would not purchase it without 1) auditioning it at home 2) compare it to competing products.

PS Audio makes great products as well. Give the Ultimate Outlet a try before you spend any more money. It's a product that definitely doesn't hurt and it's cheap enough that even if it doesn't make a big difference you can live with. The Richard Gray is way too expensive to offer such luxuries. If the UO works then you might want to try the Powerplants which should give you even a bigger improvement. Secrets of Home Theater seem to love the powerplants as well.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
why would you see better black levels on a digital projector due to a power conditioner? why? why do they tell people such blatant lies. will the bulb glow in such a phenomenally different way that the black level will increase?

will the dc power inside your projector allow the mirrors to swing all the way back and forth? what ?!?!?

i can see why power-conditioners help with the analog chain of your HT but for a digital projector, i don't see any way it could help.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
wan--it was the paranoia that got me. I had just bought expensive gear and wanted the best surge protection. I knew going in that I would probably get killed on this end. Though I could swear I saw improvment in the picture...like I said, I could be crazy and probably am.

Normally I use $6 plastic for surge protection...

·
Registered
634 Posts
I don't think it's a blatent lie. I can see how line noice can get into the picture. Why not just try it and see? (Make sure it doesn't cost you anything to try). It can't hurt. You might notice that edges are cleaned up a bit and you might get slightly better colors. The first thing I would do however is to plug a nice powercord in (perhaps take one from your audio equipment if you have one) and see if you notice any difference. I'm a believer in power and it seems power is getting worse and worse everywhere.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Wan Man

For the record WSR has 14, 400S and 2, 1200S in their reference theater so while they may not have gloated over the product in print, although it was a good review over all, they none the less find the positive contribution that the make valuable. It's as they say "actions speak louder than words".

And for the record I am a RGPC dealer as well as an avid and convinced user.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Bruno, this is your second thread here regarding the magic of power products to improve your images.

It sounds to me like you are wanting to buy a cheaper projector and make it into a higher end unit by feeding it voodoo power.

It ain't gonna work!

If you can't afford the projector you really want, wait and save. Or buy a used Sony HT10 on Ebay for

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bruno, this is your second thread here regarding the magic of power products to improve your images.

It sounds to me like you are wanting to buy a cheaper projector and make it into a higher end unit by feeding it voodoo power.

It ain't gonna work!

----------------------------------------------------------

Glimmie, thanks for the sarcasm.

I thought this board was a FORUM for people that want to ask questions and have discussions not to get smart alec responses and receive critisism.

The projector I bought is the NEC HT1000 and it is NOT an inexpensive unit in my opinion. I am not trying to make it into something else, I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I close up my ceiling.

This forum is one avenue I use to gain knowledge and resources.

You may have more knowledge than me on this subject but please think before you type.

Bruno:mad:

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
bruno,

I have bought the Grey 400s. I have used it on a Sony ES 100/wpc receiver. the difference was definitely audible. a nephew came over to listen to it and could immediately tell there was an improvement in the sound. There was more depth and less noise in the soundstage. interestingly, when i switched to a denon avr-3802 receiver, i could not tell if there was any improvement in sound with or without it. I also have been using it with a NEC XG852 CRT projector with two 400s. there was a dramatic improvement in the black level of the image along with less noise. I also bought a nec ht1000 and tried it with the 400s. to be perfectly honest, i could not tell if there was any improvement with this combo. it appeared to me that the grey's work best with equipment that draw a lot of current (the sony receiver was a lot heavier than the denon, bigger transformer). although it did not appear to have any obvious benefits, i still use them for their protective features. i hope this helps.

glimmie,

i feel bruno has every right to ask questions. it may seem trivial or stupid to you but a lot of people are new to this. i was a newbie and asked questions also. it may be trivial but a lot of people helped me and i feel i should return the favor. trashing bruno's post was not called for. you have posted a lot more than i have but that does not give you the right to put down forum members.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The rule of thumb is to NOT worry about upgrading power until other things have been dealth with. Spend the money on source, (I'll place screen in here as well), cables and then if they're all good try out the power stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.