AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who was going to get a front projector, but due to a couple of unforseen circumstances, is switching to a rear projection set.

We are looking at the 70" JVC FN96 and the 71" Sammy (xx-7178) but have not seen either one at a store (not that that is much help...). Based upon the reputations of the JVC 61FN97 and the Sammy 6187/6188 sets, the larger brothers of these two sets seem like good candidates.

- Does anyone here own either one of these 70"+ sets?

- Is the picture quality as phenomenal as that of their smaller (61") brothers or does picture quality (at 12' to 14' viewing distance) fall off just because of the 33% larger surface area of the screen?

All I know is The Perfect Vision chose the 56" JVC as their "Rear Projection Set of the Year" and they went on to mention they have the 70" JVC in their reception area becuase they think it has a good (great) picture.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Is it FN96 or FN97? FN97 is the 2006 model.

There are two long threads covering the FN97 and 7178. I've seen both. They're both very good. If your friend sees rainbows, it's a no brainer. Otherwise, it's a personal preference. The 7178 IMO looks a little sharper and has deeper blacks. It's also a little more stylish to me. Calibrators love the 2006 Samsung DLPs, so if he plans to have it professionally calibrated, that's another plus. But with LCoS, you don't need to worry about rainbows and no color wheel means one less thing that could break down. Some people also like the look of LCoS because it's less "digital", more film like.

I think your friend just has to go and look for himself. Best Buy has the 7178, and fry's and costco.com have the FN97. Either set is well liked around here.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've only had my 7178 for a week, but so far I love it. There seem to be lots of happy owners in the Owner's thread. I've read good stuff about the JVC as well ... didn't have the chance to look at any, but I'm sure it's great as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I looked at all the 70"+ sets other than the JVC. I still watch about 60% Standard Def stuff so I was looking mostly at that content. They are ALL good if not GREAT on HD material so if you are watching HD stuff, you can't go wrong with any of them.

That said, in SD I liked the Sony WAY better than all but the Toshiba which was a close second. The Sammy was a bit behind those two and the Mitsu was unwatchable. I couldn't believe how bad the SD pic looked so I checked it out at two other stores (figuring one might have a bad set or poor calibration) but no...they all SUCKED on SD! I may go by a Costco and a Fry's to check out those two sets again.

I think the Toshi is still having some quality control issues so I am looking to the Sony...

All the best and let YOUR eyes be the judge! Also be sure you like the style and look of the set (I LOVE the Sammy from that standpoint!) becuase these things are HUGE and if you don't like the look of them without a picture on the screen...well, that is A LOT of ugly to have in your house!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too am looking at the 70+ sets. After countless hours, days even months of researching and reading the threads here I'm leaning towards the JVC 70FH97, although I haven't seen one yet. I've seen the Mits, Samsung, Toshiba and the Sony. They all look good to me with the Sony looking better than the rest.

I'm no expert...just a novice that owns a Mits 55413 CRT. So, I'm partial to Mits. My biggest concern is they are so close to my eyes that the price of the JVC is why I'm leaning towards that one (if its has as good of a picture as the Sony and the smaller JVC sets). The JVC is $2000+ less than the Sony, $1300 less than the Mits and priced about the same as the Samsung. Fry's has the JVC 70FN97 that I will go check out this weekend...if it looks good to me...than it's a no brainer.

Also, I am unable to see the rainbows...maybe because I don't read any subject matter describing how you see it. I avoid that...I'm such a novice that I'm still unsure exactly what the rainbow effect is. That doesn't mean that if I were to buy the Samsung and get it home that I still wont see them.

I know I offered no real help for the OP...but, maybe if you hear the opinions from a novice standing outside the box (so to speak) and just concentrating on how well the picture looks on these sets...than maybe I did help. I would like to see each set side by side that are at least tweaked with an Avia disc. Too much to ask, I know.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"My biggest concern is they are so close to my eyes that the price of the JVC is why I'm leaning towards that one (if its has as good of a picture as the Sony and the smaller JVC sets). The JVC is $2000+ less than the Sony, $1300 less than the Mits and priced about the same as the Samsung."

I think the JVC is cheaper than the Sony, but not by much. Do consider when comparing pricing - what a store has on their "sheet" for 70" models that they have to order, and what they will "price match" the set to you for are two completely different things. This weekend, while looking with a friend of mine, we got prices on the 70" Sony from $4699 to $6200, from normal big box stores. I expect it can be price matched from either of those retailers for $4200, max. Both the 71" Sammy and the 70" JVC can be found on the internet for $2995. NOW, I don't believe for a minute that $2995 is anything other than a bait and switch tactic (or you must buy their warranty or they will hang up on you), but I expect either the Sammy or JVC could be purchased for $3400 to $3700, delivered to your door, no tax. Check the amazon book seller for the highest price you should pay on any of the 70" sets from a (reputable) seller.

BUT, ultimately I'd expect the 70" JVC to be $500 to $600 cheaper than the Sony and $300 more than the Sammy.

"they are so close to my eyes"

It's my opinion that viewing a television in a store is a nearly worthless enterprise, for judging a television or comparing them. They are all set up poorly, nothing like they would be in your home, and many times they are receiving signals from completely different (in quality) sources. Go to Circuit City and see how great the 56" or 61" Sammy looks, sitting in the corner of the television section... DISPLAYING A 1080P PICTURE FED FROM A BLUE-RAY OR HD-DVD PLAYER. Of course it looks better than any other set in the store that is playing the standard Circuit City HD feed split between 20 other televisions.

In my opinion, you can compare speakers, somewhat, by listening to them - but you should rely on other people's experiences when judging television set picture quality. Only because what you see in the store bears absolutely no relation to what a quality television set, only slightly adjusted, will look like in your home.

If you are near a large bookstore, pick up this month's copy of The Perfect Vision. They have a good review of the Sammy 6188, JVC 61" FN97, Toshiba xxx, Sony XBR2, Mitsu, and one other. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the 61" JVC over the 60" Sony XBR2, but regardless, it is an informative review.

[Spoiler: they like the Sammy but it is really bright - the JVC has an adjustable iris making it their choice for viewing without headaches in a darkish room.]

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelsFan /forum/post/0

I think the JVC is cheaper than the Sony, but not by much. Do consider when comparing pricing - what a store has on their "sheet" for 70" models that they have to order, and what they will "price match" the set to you for are two completely different things. This weekend, while looking with a friend of mine, we got prices on the 70" Sony from $4699 to $6200, from normal big box stores. I expect it can be price matched from either of those retailers for $4200, max. Both the 71" Sammy and the 70" JVC can be found on the internet for $2995. NOW, I don't believe for a minute that $2995 is anything other than a bait and switch tactic (or you must buy their warranty or they will hang up on you), but I expect either the Sammy or JVC could be purchased for $3400 to $3700, delivered to your door, no tax. Check the amazon book seller for the highest price you should pay on any of the 70" sets from a (reputable) seller.

BUT, ultimately I'd expect the 70" JVC to be $500 to $600 cheaper than the Sony and $300 more than the Sammy.

It's my opinion that viewing a television in a store is a nearly worthless enterprise, for judging a television or comparing them. They are all set up poorly, nothing like they would be in your home, and many times they are receiving signals from completely different (in quality) sources. Go to Circuit City and see how great the 56" or 61" Sammy looks, sitting in the corner of the television section... DISPLAYING A 1080P PICTURE FED FROM A BLUE-RAY OR HD-DVD PLAYER. Of course it looks better than any other set in the store that is playing the standard Circuit City HD feed split between 20 other televisions.

In my opinion, you can compare speakers, somewhat, by listening to them - but you should rely on other people's experiences when judging television set picture quality. Only because what you see in the store bears absolutely no relation to what a quality television set, only slightly adjusted, will look like in your home.

If you are near a large bookstore, pick up this month's copy of The Perfect Vision. They have a good review of the Sammy 6188, JVC 61" FN97, Toshiba xxx, Sony XBR2, Mitsu, and one other. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get the 61" JVC over the 60" Sony XBR2, but regardless, it is an informative review.

[Spoiler: they like the Sammy but it is really bright - the JVC has an adjustable iris making it their choice for viewing without headaches in a darkish room.]

I was at Tweeter and they had the Sony, Samsung, and Mits somewhat close to each other. I was able to play with the normal settings and they all were hooked up to the same feed for HD and SD. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, each set had it's own player but I was able to put a movie in that I am familiar with. Again, I'm no expert and the extent of my knowledge is an Avia disc that I tweaked my own CRT. Could the sets be tweaked better? Of course, but all were in the same enviroment...does that matter? Not completely, but starts them off equally. I cant rememeber where I saw the Toshiba...one of the many places I have gone so far, maybe it was Sears...but, I didn't care for it. Anyway, I also saw the Samsung, Sony and Mits at Magnolia...still the same. I've visted other places as well...BB, CC, Costco (not the greatest viewing), my local B&M speaker dealer that carries Mits and a couple of other local B&M stores. Granted, they didn't have all the models, but I still think the Sony's PQ came out on top IMO. My wife even was with me and said she liked the Sony better than the others.

About the prices...I'm going with internet prices, but...they are authorized internet dealers according to the respected manufacturer's website. So, the lower prices don't count for me. I don't know of B&M or Big Branch store that would price match $1600+ off a JVC to price match an "internet price", but again, I'm a novice and don't know much. I do know I'm a good price haggler and rarely pay retail (or asking price) for anything. Even the lowest priced on JVC I will haggle either price or warranty before I buy (and already began the process). I also haven't found the JVC 70FH97 in stock anywhere (B&M or Big Branch store)...maybe Fry's, but they are not listed on their website. I have found it in stock online and have called to verify...but we know how that goes. Hopefully, they are telling me the truth.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I don't know of B&M or Big Branch store that would price match $1600+ off a JVC"

I agree, except the stores I visited looked like they were looking at printed material from two months ago - the price on my 60" XBR2 has dropped at least $1000 in that time... I'm just saying that the price on a sheet of paper for a large set that a store has never stocked is not the price for which they would gladly sell it to you today.

You look like you are headed in the right direction, and are not new to negotiation. My friend and I are going to print the internet prices and take them to BB and Tweeters and see what they will do on the 70" JVC and the 71" Sammy. (We don't expect them to match the $2995 prices, but we do expect to pay $3400 to $3600 - not $6200! for some sort of 70" set).

I'll let you know how we make out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Tweeter I was at didn't carry JVC. BB, IIRC only had the smaller sets, not the 70". I think they said they could order it, but it would be really hard to haggle price on a special order.

Good Luck and definitely let me know how you do. I might be pulling the trigger on a set this weekend too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
We didn't get a chance to check out the JVC before we purchased the Samsung 7178, but I did look closely at the Sony 70" and Mistusbishi 73". For whatever reason, the Sony never looked good in any of the stores I saw it in, even though it was hooked to Blu-ray - and it was more expensive and I didn't like the looks as much as the other two. A friend has the Sony and is sold on it, but I just wasn't convinced. It came down to the Sammy and Mits ... the Sammy looked great in every store we saw it, and we liked the looks (and it was the cheapest) so that's the way we went. I know you shouldn't judge a TV by how it looks in the store ... but I figured I had a good shot at decent PQ if even the big box stores could make it look good

In the end, I think we would have been happy with any of these sets, including the JVC. All I can say is, I'm glad we stopped researching and pulled the plug!

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:

70" JVC and the 71" Sammy. (We don't expect them to match the $2995 prices, but we do expect to pay $3400 to $3600 - not $6200! for some sort of 70" set).

I'll let you know how we make out!

Please do...you can PM me if you want, but I am DYING to hear how this comes out. I would also love to know the places and prices that you are getting quoted as you go too. I will hopefully use that to help me get the best deal on my set. If you can ask about the BEST PRICE on the Sony 70" as well...that is my target. I do like the actual look of the Sammy... I need to see a JVC.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"I would also love to know the places and prices that you are getting quoted as you go too."

As for comparison pricing, I just googled 70" JVC FN97 and selected pricegrabber.com . Bizrate might work just as well. While I expect the big box store salesmen to not match internet pricing, I do expect them to search for a price that is closer to the $2995 on my paper than the $4995 or $6200 on theirs!

I'll let you know how things turn out!

·
Registered
808 Posts

Quote:

"My biggest concern is they are so close to my eyes that the price of the JVC is why I'm leaning towards that one (if its has as good of a picture as the Sony and the smaller JVC sets). The JVC is $2000+ less than the Sony, $1300 less than the Mits and priced about the same as the Samsung."

Was in The Perfect Vision? Home Theater magazine did a shootout with these same sets.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just got the 56FN97 on Tuesday and it does have an amazing picture.

Don't be to quick to dismes the possibility of getting a good price from a local dealer. I got mine from HH Gregg and (including tax and delivery) paid less than the best online price I could find.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was in The Perfect Vision? Home Theater magazine did a shootout with these same sets.

Sorry, I get both magazines and almost certainly plugged the wrong one.

Let me suggest: For the pennies per month* that they cost, most anyone with enough interest to visit here should probably look into getting both of them sent to their house. A one year subscription to Home Theater magazine, and The Perfect Vision bundled with The Absolute Sound will set someone back less than $35/year. Peanuts, compared to the somewhat useful information in all of them...

*OK, $3.00 or so!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Don't be too quick to dismes the possibility of getting a good price from a local dealer."

Yep, my friend wants to buy locally and I keep telling him to ignore the ridiculous pricing the big box salesmen spout, taken from their outdated sales sheets (for 70" units not in stock). They will match or nearly match someone's current price...

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG /forum/post/0

I have not seen ANY 70" shoot out... Having looked at the smaller sets I can tell you they differ GREATLY from their big brothers too, so you can't make any kind of assumption based on how the samller sets did against each other to form an opinion about how the larger sets will stack up...

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcar928fan /forum/post/0

Please do...you can PM me if you want, but I am DYING to hear how this comes out. I would also love to know the places and prices that you are getting quoted as you go too. I will hopefully use that to help me get the best deal on my set. If you can ask about the BEST PRICE on the Sony 70" as well...that is my target. I do like the actual look of the Sammy... I need to see a JVC.

Thanks,

James

James,

Depending on what you decide on, maybe we can go in for a 'group buy' at a store here in Austin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.