AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at some old tape decks at thrift shop and when I turn it on there is this motor running then it stops. When you press play the motor stars and stops.

Does this have something to do with the belt? The model is a Sony TC-WR550Z

·
Registered
744 Posts
Did it have a tape in it? Most decks will turn off if no tape is present.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Does the tape advance? If not then likely the belt from the drive motor to the capstan and take up reel is broken, loose, or fallen off. If it does advance the tape then the the drive for the tape counter may be broken or the tension sensor that stops the tape at the end of rewind might be misadjusted or broken.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Is that a Zune? Gosh you got some vintage gear there mister. :)

What is that clicking sound? Something is sticking, you must clean, and if it has belts, those may need to be replaced.

I miss my old tape deck, with all its moving parts and all but it felt very solid and precise. Modern days all solid states got no soul. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the tape advance? If not then likely the belt from the drive motor to the capstan and take up reel is broken, loose, or fallen off. If it does advance the tape then the the drive for the tape counter may be broken or the tension sensor that stops the tape at the end of rewind might be misadjusted or broken.
The tape does not advance

It's $30 for the deck, it looks like a nice one i wonder if I can fix it up, maybe I can get it for $10 since it's broken

·
Registered
472 Posts
The tape does not advance

It's $30 for the deck, it looks like a nice one i wonder if I can fix it up, maybe I can get it for $10 since it's broken
If you like to tinker it's worth it I suppose. I'd be a lot more excited if it was an old Teac/Tascam or a Nakamichi! Sound to me like a simple belt issue. You open up those big old cassette decks and it's a bit surprising that you'll find there really isn't very much in there, more a waste of a lot of space! Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a Zune? Gosh you got some vintage gear there mister. :)

What is that clicking sound? Something is sticking, you must clean, and if it has belts, those may need to be replaced.

I miss my old tape deck, with all its moving parts and all but it felt very solid and precise. Modern days all solid states got no soul. :(
Sorry, that video i found on youtube of what seems to be a working deck. I heard that taking this model apart is a real pain in the ass.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you like to tinker it's worth it I suppose. I'd be a lot more excited if it was an old Teac/Tascam or a Nakamichi! Sound to me like a simple belt issue. You open up those big old cassette decks and it's a bit surprising that you'll find there really isn't very much in there, more a waste of a lot of space! Good luck.
They also have a Technics that appears to be toast too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
They also have a Technics that appears to be toast too.
I love to tinker so, if I had the time, I'd get both. Depending on which Technics it is it's likely superior to the Sony. The dual decks like that have a system of belts/cams/pulleys that make them a puzzle but fun to play with IF that is something you enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts