AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you live on the edge? Throw all caution into the wind?

For Blu-ray since I can only fit 40-50 discs on the drive I'm considering just letting it fly and re-ripping if it ever goes down.

DVD is another story and I would like to avoid redoing them. Am I being totally crazy even considering this?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
not at all # of rips has everything to do with backing them up.

I only have maybe 10 BD and another 30 DVD, so re-ripping would be no big deal.

OTH I have like 400 CDs, don't want to go through that pain anytime soon (also only the size of 1 BD disc).

·
Registered
232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagojago /forum/post/17026182

I have everything mirrored but I'm running out of space... so far I haven't had any problems.

Mirrored it's not a form of back up :)

I'm same boat as you, my Raid1 running out of room. I do backup all my music and older movies that were on VHS into external hard drive.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I backup the DVD rips which have damaged originals, but aside from that I don't have any rips I care enough about to backup.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
for movies and tv series i don't bother to backup because the copy on the server IS the backup. the original copies are all on optical disc.

if i ever need to re-backup, i have gigabit ethernet and all drives on pcs in the house can be active at the same time. for example, with six drives you could backup an entire tv season in 20min (while you are watching an episode).

the folder data for the mymovies database is stored on c drive (not with the video files) because c: drive has links to files on other drives. the links are created automatically by scripts i wrote.

I always create an image backup of c drive because it is a pita to reinstall everything after a main drive failure. since music doesn't take up much space, it is also on c drive.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have a 20TB server for HD media and no backup except the orginal dics. Only files I back up are the music rips. Just too many CDs to really re-rip. I have about ~500 HD movies on my main server and about ~700 SD movies on a second 10TB server. Living on the edge with no back ups. Only had one HDD fail totally on the SD server and lost about 70-80 SD movies. Only re-ripped about 1/2 so far, prob will not do the rest since many have been replaced by HD versions.

·
Registered
913 Posts
i do not backup....

they're just movies you know, not financial records

no raid either, waste of time, money, and actually makes hard drive failure more likely in my estimation.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The original disks are the backup. If I loose a drive, I would just re-rip what I needed. Even if I lost everything, it's no big deal as I only frequently watch maybe 20 movies out of my collection. So, I'd rip those right away and rip the others as I need them. I just don't see the value in putting a lot of time and effort into making a rock-solid, bullet proof system when it is only hosting forms of entertainment.

Music is different for me, however, since I have a lot more CDs than I do DVDs/blu-rays. Since my music collection is small (in terms of disk space) relative to my movies, I can afford to keep multiple copies of it on various computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsurgeon /forum/post/17026389

no raid either, waste of time, money.

I agree. Not to mention I'd probably be one of those idiots that accidentally blows away an entire raid-5 array and looses everything.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't back up. I'll rerip if I have to.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/17026604

The only rips I backup are from my CDs and DVD-Audio discs. There would be no joy in re-entering the desired metadata for all of my FLAC files.

this is why i store all mymovies metadata on c: (which i backup) and only have links from c: to the video files on other drives. metadata is not fully automatic and needs tweaking. i don't want to redo that.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I use WHS and have duplication enabled, so I do have backups of each movie rip in case of HDD failure. My reasons are:

- I have nearly 5TB worth of movies in my collection and growing. Although I could just rerip the dvd/blu ray in the event I lost the data I have no desire to put in the extra time.

- My movies span 8 HDDs. In the case where a HDD fails and I didn't have duplication enabled I would need to figure out exactly what movies were on that specific drive, again way more trouble then just popping in a new HDD and rebuilding.

There is definitely no right answer here. With HDDs getting bigger and cheaper, spending a little extra for storage is worth it for me.

Now if my house were to burn down I am f'd!!!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
i only backup illegal downloads, people are counting on my ability to seed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I, so far only back up my ripped music, only in part because ive ripped everything into mp3 + flac, im considering backing up X dvds and X blu's onto a single 1.5tb HDD and keeping it outside the server (not in use) incase I ever do have massive drive failure, ill have x amout of rips to watch during the re-ripping process.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
My biggest probm is finding a safe place to store all the original discs

1 - 20 of 89 Posts