AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been researching 7 channel amps and I'm very interested in the Theta Dreadnaught III. While it seems Theta has a great history, their future seems less clearly defined. In searching for professional or customer reviews of the Dreadnaught III I've been thoroughly confused by the lack of information about this amp in the public domain or mention of it on AVS.

So I'm left to ask...

Does anyone here own this amp?

If so, I would love to know why you personally chose it over other possible products and if you had/have concerns about buying a Theta amp given the brand's seemingly questionable position in the market right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Soccerdude. There are numerous great reviews of the older Dreadnaught amps including this one, but I can't find anything on the latest version of the amp, which came out about a year ago I believe.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I don`t have tome to look it up, but the II to III upgrades were mainly minor looking to improve operational reliability. I don`t remember exactly, so smack me. I will look up the differences and post them later. But I am not sure that anything affected the sonics or would merit a review by an audio magazine..

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPNYC /forum/post/19542578

Thanks Soccerdude. There are numerous great reviews of the older Dreadnaught amps including this one, but I can't find anything on the latest version of the amp, which came out about a year ago I believe.

Has any Theta equipment been reviewed since ATI took them over?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mark. Good point. Maybe this impacts professional reviews.

Good question Kal about what products have been reviewed since ATI took over Theta. A quick look at the Theta web site reveals one product review for a transport that's dated August, 2010. There are a few other items that might have dates in the articles, but not on the site directly. It would not appear that many reviews have taken place.

I find it strange that I can't even find owner reviews or comments. Even reviews on sites like audioreview.com are about the old models.

If anyone out there has purchased a Dreadnaught III please chime in

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I had a five channel amp from them awhile back,but BAT VK6200 amps kicks some serious ass tho. Since I move on to Meridian DSP speakers for both 2channel and HT. If you're in the market for a serious amp look into the BAT VK6200. You can find nice secondhand ones on audiogon.

The speaker lead in the back of Theta is kind of awkward tho.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPNYC /forum/post/19543466

Good question Kal about what products have been reviewed since ATI took over Theta. A quick look at the Theta web site reveals one product review for a transport that's dated August, 2010. There are a few other items that might have dates in the articles, but not on the site directly. It would not appear that many reviews have taken place.

When I inquired at a show, I was told that they do not believe reviews are useful for them.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19544270

When I inquired at a show, I was told that they do not believe reviews are useful for them.

Of course not. After all, they are Theta, and taught electrons everything there is to know about musical reproduction.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/0

I don`t have tome to look it up, but the II to III upgrades were mainly minor looking to improve operational reliability. I don`t remember exactly, so smack me. I will look up the differences and post them later. But I am not sure that anything affected the sonics or would merit a review by an audio magazine..

Therma trak transitors are in the new amp. Mcintosh, from reports, has benefitted from a redesign permitted because of those transistors in its new amps. ATI appears so far very unsuited to marketing high-end products.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger /forum/post/19558111

Therma trak transitors are in the new amp. Mcintosh, from reports, has benefitted from a redesign permitted because of those transistors in its new amps. ATI appears so far very unsuited to marketing high-end products.

Thanks Bulldogger. I don't know enough about amps to know how this helps
It does appear that older Dreadnaught designs fell short of their stated measurements when reviewed. It would be good to know if they've improved through the use of these or other design upgrades.

I wonder if they'll continue to move the Theta brand forward. I heard from a dealer I spoke with that they're not seeing any more activity around the Theta brand after the ATI acquisition than they were seeing from Theta prior to the acquisition. As a consumer that concerns me as one cannot tell how committed ATI is to the Theta brand and I would not want to run into support issues should I have a problem with the amp down the line and ATI were to abandon the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/19558462

I have worked on several systems with Dreadnaught III units. They seemed to work very well.

Thanks umr. I don't want to stray off topic, but any chance you heard it with Triad speakers?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPNYC /forum/post/19560235

I wonder if they'll continue to move the Theta brand forward. I heard from a dealer I spoke with that they're not seeing any more activity around the Theta brand after the ATI acquisition than they were seeing from Theta prior to the acquisition. As a consumer that concerns me as one cannot tell how committed ATI is to the Theta brand and I would not want to run into support issues should I have a problem with the amp down the line and ATI were to abandon the brand.

Hummm. Let's think about things for a moment.

Since ATI bought Theta, under ATI's ownership Theta has upgraded the

Gen VIII DAC to the Series 2,

Dreadnaught II to the III,

Citadel amp from the 1 to the 1.5,

and released the all new Compli Blu universal transport/player.

They are also working on a new Compli Blu 3D and the O so slow to be released CBIII HDMI upgrade.

I am not sure why you are blind to these upgrades and releases, but I have more concerns for YOUR ability to see and read then ATI's ability to be here for a while and ATI's interest in the Theta brand. ATI has basically REWORKED the ENTIRE THETA LINEUP.

Yep it looks like Theta is moving into the dustbin of obscurity and neglect. NOT!

ATI likes to use cash to acquire and work it's products. In this economy it is more than wise. It allows them to reduce debt and weather the rough times we are enduring. Many here, and I would bet you too, have no idea as to the OEM amps that other big names sell that are made for them by ATI. ATI also makes their own amp line.

As for Theta saying they have little use for reviews? I fully understand their position. New companies NEED to generate BUZZ for their untested new products. But older well established brands much less so. While KAL is in the business to sell mags and reviews are at the heart of those sales but Ads are what fund them, There are a lot of folks who review with a bias and that could spell disaster for a company especially in today's economy.

Apparently Theta has no need to seek reviews as they are happy with what their dealers and their design teams are doing for their bottom line.

Want to know what a Dreadnaught III sounds like? Find a Theta dealer and arrange an appointment to hear FIRST HAND how it sounds.

Reading about it in a magazine is like eating from a cook book, very dry and leaving you wanting more. There is no substitute for the real thing.

·
Registered
27,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Fleener /forum/post/19562718

While KAL is in the business to sell mags and reviews are at the heart of those sales but Ads are what fund them, There are a lot of folks who review with a bias and that could spell disaster for a company especially in today's economy.

Let's re-write this statement with a slightly diifferent context.

While KAL (ALLEN) is in the business to sell mags (THETA GEAR) and reviews (Allen's Testaments) are at the heart of those sales, Ads (THETA SALES) are what fund them. There are a lot of folks who review (sell) with a bias (BIAS) and that could spell disaster for a company especially in today's economy.

Allen are you calling Kal biased? And his reviews colored by the potential ad revenue for his magazine? That's a pretty serious accusation coming from a dealer self-promoting his own brands he sells.

I think Kal would be a better unbiased reviewer of Theta gear rather than your (dealer) self.

·
Registered
22,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Fleener

They are also working on a new Compli Blu 3D and the O so slow to be released CBIII HDMI upgrade.

I am not sure why you are blind to these upgrades and releases, but I have more concerns for YOUR ability to see and read then ATI's ability to be here for a while and ATI's interest in the Theta brand. ATI has basically REWORKED the ENTIRE THETA LINEUP.

Yep it looks like Theta is moving into the dustbin of obscurity and neglect. NOT!

ATI likes to use cash to acquire and work it's products. In this economy it is more than wise. It allows them to reduce debt and weather the rough times we are enduring. Many here, and I would bet you too, have no idea as to the OEM amps that other big names sell that are made for them by ATI. ATI also makes their own amp line.

As for Theta saying they have little use for reviews? I fully understand their position. New companies NEED to generate BUZZ for their untested new products. But older well established brands much less so. While KAL is in the business to sell mags and reviews are at the heart of those sales but Ads are what fund them, There are a lot of folks who review with a bias and that could spell disaster for a company especially in today's economy.

Apparently Theta has no need to seek reviews as they are happy with what their dealers and their design teams are doing for their bottom line.

Want to know what a Dreadnaught III sounds like? Find a Theta dealer and arrange an appointment to hear FIRST HAND how it sounds.

Reading about it in a magazine is like eating from a cook book, very dry and leaving you wanting more. There is no substitute for the real thing.
Though I am and have been a Theta luver, Allen, please tell me what brand of CA medical marijuana are you smoking? Does it also make your audio sound even better than it does already>>>

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Fleener /forum/post/19562718

I don't see any reason to take a shot at me. I didn't post here to be criticized or to criticize other individuals. I posted a question to hear constructive feedback and to learn more about Theta and the Dreadnaught amp. I also didn't ask for general opinion on the sound of the amp. I asked one person if he's heard a setup with Triad and Theta together and I don't see anything wrong with asking a very pointed question of a specific person. Furthermore, I've decided not to go listen to a bunch of amps and that's my choice.

I see Theta has released new products. You can imagine my confusion by the fact that a dealer I spoke with told me he's not seeing much activity--not product development activity, but energy from Theta, customer excitement for the new products, etc. I don't know if it's necessary for Theta's business model to do a lot of marketing or not. Releasing new products doesn't necessarily mean greater sales and profits. Maybe the lack of action is dealer-specific and the dealer I spoke with is on a down-cycle.

I'm not a Theta basher or fan. I don't know much about them and I was hoping for constructive feedback on the company. As a dealer you could have provided that without the negativity in your post, but you chose to go the other way for no apparent reason.

I know ATI also sells their owned branded line of amps as I've read about and considered them as well. My concern wasn't if ATI would be around for a long time, but whether or not the Theta brand is energized and doing well, and the possible impact to consumers if not and it were to fade away. Again, I don't have an opinion on this one way or the other and I didn't suggest they would in fact disappear.

Still, to this point no one has posted that they actually own a Dreadnaught III. I'm very interested in the product and I'm hoping to connect with an owner.

·
Premium Member
5,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/19563233

No, but I have worked on many Triad systems. They do not seem to be very amplifier sensitive.

T-ad's live around 4 ohms for the most part so you would need a pretty hearty amp as for as duty cycle to run at a higher current and heat environment all the time. BUT on the flip side T-ad's are rather effecient for the most part depending on the model around 92dB @ 1M as I recall for most of the upper end line [Silver, Gold and Platinum].

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just mention Theta & all hell breaks loose.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.