AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to backup some of my DVD collection to an external drive and have a playlist of movies available to use on my 360.

Currently I'm using CloneDVDMobile to create a single VOB of my movies, rename them to MPG and using Windows Media Encoder 9 to convert them to a WMV.

I'm using the Windows Media Pro 10 selection to encode the audio for the WMV but I'm generating an error any time I try to change it from stereo to 5.1.

Do I need to install some other codecs or plugins or something?

I'm at a total loss.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I also am curious to hear a solution to this. You are doing exactly what I want to do, and I too am concerned about the video qualtiy as well as maintaining digital surround sound. Thus far I have been unable to find any info on how to just that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I did this with Toy Story (just to see if it worked) and while the quality is pretty good, you will lose 5.1 unless you use analog out. If possible I would suggest leaving them as MPEG2 files with the audio stream intact. I'm still trying to figure out how to get MCE Vista/MyMovies and my 360 Eilte to work.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I'm pretty sure the WMV standard doesn't support 5.1. It has its own 5.1 type of codec that will seperate the channels and stuff, but its not 5.1.

You might able to encode your video as wmv and keep your original audio track and put them in an MKV container, but it will then be an mkv file, not a wmv file.

You might be able to do a h.264 avi with 5.1 if you were just looking for 360 support.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Search under username dodgeV83 - there were threads in the HTPC area about this a while back. Most of us had used a program called MoviePro But it was really finicky. I managed to get about 50 DVDs ripped into WMV/WMA Pro 5.1 but then had to repupose the special box I'd built to do the ripping. anyway, DodgeV83 had found another, much more stable app to do the work-and I can't remember the name.

As to using the new H.264 support, this is problematic unless you buy and add-in codec for WMP11, or are willing to use the Video Blade on the Xbox360 and not the MCE interface. and you'll have to install Zune. And the Zune connection doesn't support media on network drives when streaming to a 360. MS has really screwed this up royally.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use VideoRedo. After ripping the DVD (using whatever you want to do so), I merge the VOB files using VOB Merge (free). I then use the "Quick Stream Fix" function on VideoRedo to convert it (I think it is to MPEG2 but I am not certain - it does stream perfectly to the XBox). VideoRedo does not convert the VOB so there is no quality loss (and it plays in 5.1) and the process takes about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
video redo is a pile of ****.

who ever programmed it is a ******

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think the DVD-WMV program is an outgrowth of movietpro. In terms of time, on a Sempron 3100, 512mb system, a 1.5 hour movie took about2.5 hours to rip & encode with movie Pro. which seemed resonable. When I had it working on my 3.4ghz Prescott system, it would encode in slightly less than the total time of the movie.

I do remember that if you up the quality setting from the default (90) some folks reported very long encode times.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found an interesting site

This seems good for 5.1 sound

Microsoft User Network - Knowledge Base - Converting VOB files to WMV with 6 Channels Audio

1st post..not allowed URL sorry...

Hope it is some helpful to ppl

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggit /forum/post/20133241

I have found an interesting site

This seems good for 5.1 sound

Microsoft User Network - Knowledge Base - Converting VOB files to WMV with 6 Channels Audio

1st post..not allowed URL sorry...

Hope it is some helpful to ppl

this was 4 years ago.

dont convert to wmv, swap container to mpeg... takes 2 seconds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.