AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a striped set (NTFS) created with WinNT 4.0 can be read by Win2k/XP? I am about to upgrade my OS on a machine which has a RAID 0 disk subsystem (MS striped set).

·
Registered
182 Posts
It should upgrade without a problem. Win2k can read and write all NT 4.0 disk configurations. The only caveat is that Win2k can not create or extend NT 4.0 stripes or mirrors. Win2k uses a built in version of Veritas volume manager to do advance disk volumes. To create these volumes you first have to convert the drives to what is called a dynamic disk. I'm can't remember if you can convert drives with exsiting NT 4.0 stripes or not.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
A striped set created by NT is initialized during the boot process. The information about the striped set is stored in the OS, not the disk. It sounds like you are planning to upgrade your OS, make sure you try an UPGRADE. However, I did notice 2k/xp will not let you include the boot disk (not just the boot volume) in a software stripe, so hopefully you have at least 3 drives. If you do a fresh installation you will probably never access the data again. You would have to gather info on the stripeset before and then redefine it in the registry. I wouldn't count on that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Trash,

You are correct about needing to do an upgrade, though there is a way to recover the disk configuration if you wanted to do a fresh install. The following article explains how to:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q253110

But, Win2k should let you use the boot disk in a stripe but you have to upgrade it to a dynamic disk first. The other caveat is that you can't stripe or extend any partitions that existed before the conversion to a dyanmic disk.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.