AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went into magnolia at best buy today and all the guys were having a hard on when I went to buy some monster speaker wire. They said the audioquest type 2 cable is so much better. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17  /t/1467901/does-anyone-know-if-audi...than-monster-cable-speaker-wire#post_23194211

So I went into magnolia at best buy today and all the guys were having a hard on when I went to buy some monster speaker wire. They said the audioquest type 2 cable is so much better. Does anyone know if there is any truth in this? Thanks for the input.

It's better for the bottom line (profit margin) for the mag store than it is for your ears. I'd also stay away from those best buy dudes with wood..lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking. I went for some monster speaker wire 50 ft. they had on sale for 19.99. A great price imo from a known brand. They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest. 100 bucks for the audioquest 30 feet and 20 for the monster 50 ft. So I said I will be back. lol. I will go pickup the monster Friday. Thanks guys. I don't see who cable could make that big a difference. Why buy expensive speakers if a brand of speaker wire would make such a huge difference.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthornton17  /t/1467901/does-anyone-know-if-audi...than-monster-cable-speaker-wire#post_23194211

Audioquest type 2 speaker cable describes a specfic product, but monster cable doesn't.

I notice that Audioquest type 2 speaker cable nets out to be 17 gauge wire which is far less copper than the 12 or 14 gauge that most of us prefer.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=AQT2NF

Commodity 12 gauge runs a few bucks for two 8 foot pieces at hardware and home improvement stores and will work well in far more different circumstances than 17 gauge.

http://www.amazon.com/Rsw1250-Spool-Translucent-Speaker-Gauge/dp/B009XUN5Q4/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365768935&sr=1-13&keywords=speaker+cables+12+gauge

·
Registered
865 Posts
Suckers. Type 2 rocks, and I've pulled out and tossed all my Monster. Proof is to do the hard work, buy it and compare it with your own ears. Agree with hype and marketing but let your ears be the guide! It's a pain in the ass buying stuff and returning it if it doesn't work out but if it's important to you and you want the best result you gotta do the leg work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Well, smart people buy their speaker wire at Monoprice. Typical Monster XP is 16AWG. At Monoprice, 16AWG is $20 per 100ft. $15 for 50ft for 12AWG - real heavy duty stuff.

So when you went in looking for Monster, those guys figured they could sell you a three-legged horse along with some Arizona beach-front property - and rake in the commission.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest.
That's because you were cutting off their balls. They get paid a bonus for selling you the AQ.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1  /t/1467901/does-anyone-know-if-audi...than-monster-cable-speaker-wire#post_24185871

Suckers. Type 2 rocks, and I've pulled out and tossed all my Monster. Proof is to do the hard work, buy it and compare it with your own ears.
Of all the available tools to judge the performance of cable your ears are the least reliable. Not that different cables can't sound different, they can. The problem is that if you think a cable will sound better, it will, and if the reason why you think a cable will sound better is price you're throwing your money away.

The only factors that influence cable behavior are resistance, capacitance and inductance. Those factors have no direct correlation with price. In fact, some of the worst cables made with respect to resistance, capacitance and inductance are also some of the most expensive cables sold.
Quote:
They were running around like their balls were being cut off, so I would put that down and get audioquest.
The highest profit margin items at BB (or anywhere else) are cables and extended warranties. You shouldn't be buying either.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I have had good results with the Audioquest line of cables, both speaker and interconnects.

I have also had good results just using #10 or #12 speaker cable from Monoprice, and also making my own from Belden wire.

Oddly (don't ask me why), I have heard some Monster cables that audibly degrade the sound.

My advice would be to get some #12 pure copper speaker cable from Monoprice; Monoprice #2747 or 2789.

I am sure it will work well, and the price is very good.

·
Registered
13,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1467901/does-anyone-know-if-audi...than-monster-cable-speaker-wire#post_24189931

Oddly (don't ask me why), I have heard some Monster cables that audibly degrade the sound.

Some Monster Cable cables have high capacitance, and some are actually pretty small conductors despite their apparently large size (thicker insulation and an outer sheath makes them look impressive but does not improve their performance).

·
Banned
1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1467901/does-anyone-know-if-audi...than-monster-cable-speaker-wire#post_24190916

The suckers are those that follow the fish hooks on a 9 month old thread.

...and the rats who post in them, but contribute absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
22,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64  /t/1467901/does-anyone-know-if-audi...than-monster-cable-speaker-wire#post_24186588

You're the sucker who bought and installed monster cable in the first place.
Such as this?

·
Registered
22,637 Posts
Rather than busting balls, you could have just referred to post #2 rather than contributing absolutely nothing as you did in post #8.

The door swings both ways.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That article should be made a "sticky" in this forum. You should have to read it before you can post here. I can't believe that I'm still reading these cable threads 15 years after I originally joined this forum.

Rgrds-Ross

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.