AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm referring to the video out of the receiver. What is the bandwidth of the video out (composite, Y/C, component if they have them)?

-3db at 2MHz, 3MHz, 4MHz, 5MHz etc.

The reason for the question is; everyone Direct TV I have seen on any channel it looks as I'm watching a Phony Smearitron from the 60's with the sharpness turned down (if such a thing would be possible). In other words a very rolled of picture that doesn't look as if has a bandwidth past 1.5MHz!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My DTivo (HDVR2) very sharply displays all the MPEG artifacts it decodes.

I use the SVideo output and it is noticeably better than the composite output.

However, there's no escaping the mosaic and jittery effects of the heavy mpeg compression that DBS employs.

I would estimate that the system is capable of remarkable resolution, should you ever be lucky enough to receive a signal that is not so stiffly compressed.

However, the need to have at least 400 home-shopping channels hawking crap jewelry, old-lady face cream and 'collectable' samurai swords, will obviously subrogate the available transponder bandwidth for entertainment programming.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking forward to the 400 shopping channels.

I was hopeing that one of them would sell something that would put all of them off the air for good!

Seriously; I was looking for a test by someone that could run a sweep or multiburst through the system with the -3db points at the output.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't know of any means of getting a high quality signal into any of the DBS receivers in order to be able take a meaningful measurement of the response. DirectTV sure ain't gonna broadcast one. :)

I'd estimate it as about as good as a run of the mill DVD player.

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet it's not!

I would go further and say I bet it is less than 2 or maybe 3 MHz on most of the channels I have seen on more than one monitor!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.