AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this area and have been reading several posts about which antenna is appropriate for use, but I have only seen mixed opinions. I live in Brookline, MA in a condo unit on the third floor of a six floor building. I am not allowed to install an outdoor antenna on the roof of the building, but can install a small antenna on my balcony, which has an obstructed view on the west side of the building due to the wall of the building. Antennaweb.org recommends using a medium-sized directional antenna, but the ones that I have seen are a little too big. I am only about 8 miles from the Needham tower, which carries most of the HDTV signals. Can someone please recommend me a small outdoor antenna or a good indoor antenna. Thanks in advance.

-Albert

:confused:

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ajchang001

[ Can someone please recommend me a small outdoor antenna or a good indoor antenna. Thanks in advance.

-Albert

:confused: [/b]
I too could also use a recomendation on a good indoor antenna.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
How sensitive is it to multipath? Do you ever have any problems with it? I have a outdoor antenna now and it works great on everything except channel 4 so I was thinking of getting a good indoor antenna to use just on 4. I have a little terk one now but it sucks

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The Silver Sensor does pretty well in my location. I'm on the sixth floor of a seven story apartment building on the northeast corner. My living room has only an east facing window. Directly across the street is an 8 story apartment building. No line of site to Needham (or anywhere else, really). There is a roof antenna, unfortunately, it is no longer wired up to the apartments.

Generally, my reception is not 100% dropout free. I have little problem tuning in channels 20, 23, 30, 31, 41, and 42 (analog equiv. 4, 5, 7, 25, 56, 66) from a single antenna position. I always have to reposition the antenna to get 19 (2), and usually have to fiddle to get 39 (38) as well. Often I have to fine tune the antenna, but I can almost always get dropouts to be infrequent enough as to not be distracting. Moving the antenna even slightly can make a huge difference in reception.

For comparison, I get a good clean picture on analog channels 25, 38, and 56 with minimal ghosting. I get a lot of multipath (ghosting) on 44. Most other analog UHF channels look pretty bad.

Some of my dropouts are interference related; the dishwasher can cause problems, as can switching on or off the fluorescent light in the kitchen. I assume I pick up plenty of interference from other apartments as well, which probably accounts for most of my dropouts.

I'm sure your experience will vary from mine, but I'm generally satisfied with my reception.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Abington and I can't get anything. I've tried the Silver Sensor, a Radio Shack indoor amplified one, and I just got a Radio Shack 2160 (only have tried it indoors).

I believe I get "multipath distortion". I can get a perfectly clear picture, but it doesn't move. I've got good signal strength ( ||||||||V||||||| on the scale). Other times, I get a picture that is all pixelated (like Atari). This is multipath correct? I can post a picture if need be.

Next goal is to put the antenna on the roof.

I think some of my problems are due to the house I'm in having aluminum siding. I rent an apartment here, so I can't really do too much.

Pete (spent lots of money 3 weeks ago and haven't gotten any channels yet)

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Jckessler,

Thanks for the info I may try one the only problem I have is with Channel 4 on my outdoor antenna unless it is perfectly calm clear day I seem to have problems. I am really stumped because all the stations are on the same tower not to mention I have no trouble with channel 38.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Reception can be very strange sometimes; I almost never have problems with 20, but 19 is very finicky about antenna position. This is despite the fact that the are almost the same frequency, at the same power, and even coming from the same antenna!

A while back someone in Rhode Island reported interference problems on Channel 30 (4-1) from analog 30 in Hartford, but I'd guess you're not close enough to Hartford for this to be an issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im in Malden, top floor of a 5 story building, my balcony faces West and I can see the Needham towers lights at night. Im using a Silver Sensor outdoors pointed at 312 degrees toward NH to receive 9-1 and 35-1 (get them at 69%) -- I then got a two way spitter/combiner and added a single Bow Tie antenna (2.99 at the shack) and added that into the array. It drops the NH signals down to 36%, but that's acceptable for viewing it with only occasional breakups. I then get all the Boston stations off the bowtie with no problem.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pkuncis

I think some of my problems are due to the house I'm in having aluminum siding.

That's a huge problem. Aluminum siding all around acts a Faraday cage, which means that little or no signal is actually reaching your antenna. I bet your analog UHF reception is pretty poor as well.

Try point the antenna out a window (removing any metal screens if necessary) to see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I use a Radio Shack VHF-UHF amplified antenna on a west-facing window sill down in Taunton about 30 miles from the towers. I get 100% on 19, 20 and 30; about 75% on 42; and 60% on 39 and 43. I cannot get a useable signal on 31 or 41.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Besides the aluminum siding, if your building has an older elevator, that may cause you some problems. I know whenever the elevator in my building is in use, I get break ups on any stations that I'm not receiving at 50% or better... it must let out some RF interference from the mechanisms and screw with the signal. With the proximity of my unit to the elevator, there's nothing I can do about it unless I plan on shielding the elevator shaft - which won't be happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sha_now
Besides the aluminum siding, if your building has an older elevator, that may cause you some problems. I know whenever the elevator in my building is in use, I get break ups on any stations that I'm not receiving at 50% or better... it must let out some RF interference from the mechanisms and screw with the signal. With the proximity of my unit to the elevator, there's nothing I can do about it unless I plan on shielding the elevator shaft - which won't be happening anytime soon.
No elevators that I know of :D It's just a small house split into 3 apts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.