AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The This Week in Consumer Electronics Website states that the Zenith DTV-1080 is due out on June 1. It appears that on balacnce, this receiver offers more features than the current generation of HDTV receivers. On paper it looks like the Zenith might be the new best HDTV/DIRECTV/OTA receiver. The Zenith and TWICE website state that the DTV-1080 has:

*outputs of 480p, 720p and 1080i

(only the Panasonic and Dish 6000 have this)

*switchable VGA and component outputs

(I think only the Sony and Dish 6000 have this)

*a 3-line digital comb filter to enhance NTSC broadcasts

(I don't think any current receivers have this)

*an enhanced line doubler for NTSC broadcasts

(only the RCA, Dish 6000, and Panasonic have doublers, but are they

enhanced?)

*a third generation receiver for better OTA digital reception

(to my knowledge this is the first HDTV receiver with a

third generation chip)

In addition, the Zenith has all the features of the second generation receivers such as an APG that integrates all programming sources. Considering the MSRP for this receiver is $699, who thinks that this receiver is worth waiting for? I'm particualarly interested in whether or not the Zenith is unique with its digital comb filter and enhanced line doubler? Do the other receivers made by Hughes and Sony have those features or is the Zentih superior. Has anyone else heard about the arrival date of the DTV-1080. I'm anxiously awaiting this receiver, because on paper it looks like it combines the best features of the current imperfect receivers and offers additional benefits

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess no one has any other information about the release date of the Zenith DTV-1080. Since I've read positive reviews about the second generation digital tuners integrated in the Zenith HDTVs, I have high hopes for the third generation tuner in Zenith's HDTV receiver. Can any Zenith HDTV owners share their experience with the integrated digital tuner's multipath rejection abilities?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
I can tell you that the integrated receiver in my Zenith HDTV is superior in terms of clarity and sensitivity to any of the other STBs I've tried. Additionally, it provides a sharper picture than the other tuners. Unfortunately I can't comment on multipath performance, since I don't believe I'm in a multipath prone area.

One additional feature worth noting on the new Zenith STB (according to a Zenith tech I spoke with a few weeks ago), is the inclusion of 2 8VSB inputs in addition to the satellite input. This makes it unique among all the STBs out there. Although the RCA can accept 2 8VSB signals, it can only be accessed via the internal A/B switch of the RCA. The Zenith uses the integrated guide system, and therefore appears to do all the switching seamlessly. It certainly looks on paper that this may be the best box yet. The Zenith tech also confirmed the inclusion of a 3rd generation 8VSB tuner.

Time will tell whether this box lives up to its expectations. We've been disappointed in the past, but I do have faith in Zenith.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I agree with Ken and Andrew that on paper the Zenith does look like it's worth waiting for. If nothing else, if it arrives soon and is produced in ample supplies, it should put some more downward price pressure on the higher-priced STBs that seem to be less feature-rich.

I am currently without a receiver (having bought and sold two of them) mostly because our stations are not yet online here. Things are supposed to happen this summer which I hope makes the timing right for the Zenith STB. I will certainly give it a good look.

I have not heard of an availability date and I have grown pessimistic on dates provided for STBs before, so I wouldn't hold my breath about that June date.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unlike previous HDTV receivers, lets hope the release date is accurate. It seems like the retail outlets for Zenith are limited. Does anyone know of a nationwide retailer of Zenith products?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone else have information about the release date for the Zenith DTV-1080 or know of a national retailer of Zenith products. As one of the only manufacturers to produce a HDTV with 9'' guns I can't beleive more upscale home theatre stores don't sell Zenith.

Andy

·
Registered
211 Posts
King's Great Buys in the Evansville Indiana area sells Zenith products. Might be close enough to you to give them a call or visit. I am not affiliated with them, BTW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.