AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem like the largest I've seen are 46" except for the overly expensive Sharp 65".

I'm not a big plasma fan (please no flames) for several reasons, and it seems that there would be a very good market for sets in the 55"/60" sizes of LCD.

Are there any around or forthcoming? :( :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems like only Sharp. Is it that hard to make a large LCD or is there some other reason why LCD has given up these sizes to Plasma?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie M
Seems like only Sharp. Is it that hard to make a large LCD or is there some other reason why LCD has given up these sizes to Plasma?
This is new area for grabbing by LCD: wait till next year for a crop of large LCD's, they are surely coming.

·
Registered
503 Posts
sharp is already making 57" and 65" albeit only in Japan right now. I expect Samsung, Sony and LG to come out with similar items next year . LCD's don't have trouble getting bigger unlike plasma's have getting smaller

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
For the longest time, LCDs were delegated to the small screen market and plasmas were delegated to the large screen market. This was due to production costs of each type (LCDs couldn't economically make larger screens and plasmas couldn't economically make smaller screens). Recently, that changed for the LCDs. About a year ago, 4x" LCDs were around $7K but are now competively priced with the plasmas. Also the LCDs have basically taken over the 37" market.

I expect that there will be increments to larger screens. Like the 4x" market, I expect the 5x" and 6x" LCDs to initially carry a hefty price tag (probably well above $10K).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.