AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
What is a "Silver Serpant"? For a typical 6 foot run Radio Shack has all the cable quality you need.

I design broadcast television facilites for a living including one of the largest HDTV production facilities. We don't have any "Silver Serpants". Our analog cable is Belden 8281 or 1694 at roughly 0.30 per foot RETAIL price. If it's a short less than 10 foot run we use plain old RG59.

If you want to drown in cable talk go over to Audio Video Improvements section. They like this stuff over there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone pointed me toward bettercables.com, and Silver Serpent makes their component and optical cable (and maybe other things, too). I just heard it was really good.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
BetterCables.com did use industry standard wire and connectors and had very reasonable prices for what you got. But a couple of months ago a member emailed me saying the Bettercables.com has also fallen into the marketing BS hype about copper grain structure and the effect of the oceans tide on cable performance.

FWEIW if this is true they will no longer get my support here as a broadcast industry professional. But if it's the same company that existed a year ago when I researched good consumer cables, they were the best choice and I supported their honest advertising and the use of recognized professional grade components.

Hope that's still the case.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glimmie is bang on. I've spent many hours debating cables and materials and the physics of transmission. The whole "high-end" cable thing is ridiculous IMHO when you're talking about short runs. I used to pay megabucks for the "good" cables but have since changed my ways and simply purchase the lowest priced, decently assembled cables I can find - like Radio Shack. They work great.

I had a $100 Tributary S-Video cable feeding my plasma. I then swapped it with an $8 S-Video cable from Radio Shack and I nor anyone else could tell the difference in video quality - regardless of the testing software we used.

I then spoke to several folks in electrical engineering and physics and they all state hands down that for typical installations, there is no performance difference.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RyN1399
I'm really just wondering who makes the best component cable.
What they seem to be telling you is that as long as a connectorized cable is properly constructed from quality components the difference is just marketing (theirs), ego (yours) and the size of the ensuing exchange of currency (you know the only direction of that part). If you are about to pay big money for cables ask if they may be returned if you perceive no visible improvement - if they react with horror at the suggestion of returning a cable assembly based on performance, carefully consider the transaction before proceeding.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Glimmie, thanks!

I'm curious: what do you use for connectors on those Belden cables? Does anybody make an RCA-style connector for attachment to RG-6 or RG-59, or do I need to go with an F and an adapter? Also, when do you choose the RG-6 versus the RG-59?

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Markertek ( www.markertek.com ) will custom make any kind of cable with any kind of termination. They use high quality belden and canare cable, and their terminators are high quality. The prices are very reasonable.

I work in film and most of the engineers I know in audio and video use belden or canare for their various applications. I've had good, reliable experiences dealing with markertek over the years.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I second the Markertek recommendation. Be aware, though, that the high definition

component cable listed in their catalog and on their web site has a 100 mhz bandwidth.

They do have Canare cable with 300 mhz bandwidth for just a few dollars more. You have

to ask for it specifically. I suggest that you call them at 1-800-522-2025 and ask for Bruce

x: 313.

I am using a 55' run of this 300 mhz component cable and I cannot see any degradation in the picture

compared to the 35' bettercables.com that I use with my front projector. The Markertek cable

is less than half the price of the bettercables one.

I used bettercables.com when they first started with great simple cables. They have changed from their original cables,

but I doubt if anyone could see a difference from their original and their curent silver serpents.

The hd picture with their first basic cables is flawless, full of color and sharpness, and limited only

by the display device. The bettercables.com cables have always been well constructed from the

best materials, but the same is true for the Markertek custom cables.

Shelly

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let me add one other to the list. I have been using avcable.com for quite a while for all my cables. Their prices are reasonable and the quality of the cables and connectors seems very high. The use Canare connectors for RCA cables and Kings connectors for BNC connections. All of their connectors are impedence matched.

Take a look.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
For Belden and Canare cables here are some vendors who still sell good quality broadcast cables at a fair price.

Rhinocables.com

Wickedcables.com

KustomKables.com

FYI Avcable.com sells Gepco cables and not canare or Belden. Nothing wrong with them though.

For an even cheaper alternative you could do an E-bay search. Tons of people sell Canare cable sets. Guess that are cheaper and more available than Belden.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all of the great responses. I'm trying to decide between markertek and bettercables for my component cables, but i'm leaning toward markertek.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.