Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to consolidate my several video and audio inputs into a unit that could switch between them using a remote. Currently I have a Turk 4 input switcher that

actually works quite well. It also has an RF pass through when none of the inputs are activated, which is quite handy.

I know that I can buy a "receiver" to do this, but I don't need the built in amplifier, nor do I need a radio. Right now I use the speaker in the TV; later I will be hooking up some powered monitors for surround.

Features I would like to have integrated:

1. remote volume and input selection control

2. at least 4 baseband video/stereo audio inputs

3. 5.1 decoding (I am in the dark here)

4. 5.1 line level outputs

5. baseband video output.

The thing that most annoys me about currently available receivers is that they are so DARN BIG. Ideally I'd find something in a 1U or 2U form factor.

And of course I am currently researching HDTV's for purchase in october, that's what brought me to this site. I assume they take baseband in when dealing with

standard def signals?

Thanks much in advance. I really don't know anything about what is available in the consumer market so any hints would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
sounds like you need a pre-pro.

plenty of options to choose from.

cheapest [not counting audio gon dot com ]

would be the upcoming emotiva ultra lite, the new outlaw 990, the sherwood newcastle, and so on .... there's no upper limit really :D

as for size, i dont think any of them are really small.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Except even the cheapest prepro is several times more expensive than the minimal receiver that does the job :) . The setup is hooking to TV speakers. Sound quality, prepro's biggest advantage, is wasted.

Unless form factor is absolutely essential, a receiver is the better choice even if the amp is not needed.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You could look at the "digital amp" (that's in quotes because the digital term is totally incorrect, but that's how mass market consumers are) receivers. They are small by the nature of the class-D amp section, and you won't have to care about how bad it is because you won't be using it anyway. You just need the decoding, switching, and master volume control functions.

The thing is, the really small ones don't have preamp outputs for all 6 channels. So specifically make sure you see all six preout jacks (or eight for a 7.1 receiver) if you're going to use outboard amplification for all channels.

Panasonic SA-XR70 comes in at 3.3" tall. There's your 2U. But the only preout it has is the subwoofer. RCA jacks take space. For what you want, I think 6"+-1" tall is going to be all you'll find. Especially in the mass market "budget" space. Custom tailor costs.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXAUDIO
Hi,

I would like to consolidate my several video and audio inputs into a unit that could switch between them using a remote. Currently I have a Turk 4 input switcher that

actually works quite well. It also has an RF pass through when none of the inputs are activated, which is quite handy.

I know that I can buy a "receiver" to do this, but I don't need the built in amplifier, nor do I need a radio. Right now I use the speaker in the TV; later I will be hooking up some powered monitors for surround.

Features I would like to have integrated:

1. remote volume and input selection control

2. at least 4 baseband video/stereo audio inputs

3. 5.1 decoding (I am in the dark here)

4. 5.1 line level outputs

5. baseband video output.

The thing that most annoys me about currently available receivers is that they are so DARN BIG. Ideally I'd find something in a 1U or 2U form factor.

And of course I am currently researching HDTV's for purchase in october, that's what brought me to this site. I assume they take baseband in when dealing with

standard def signals?

Thanks much in advance. I really don't know anything about what is available in the consumer market so any hints would be appreciated.

Don't know how close you are to a Fry's Electronics, but they currently have the HK DPR2005 for $1300 off the $1799 MSRP. It would meet your requirements nicely and it is a smaller receiver...

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert
Don't know how close you are to a Fry's Electronics, but they currently have the HK DPR2005 for $1300 off the $1799 MSRP. It would meet your requirements nicely and it is a smaller receiver...

John
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

John I'm on the east coast but I'm going to call Fry's tomorrow and see if they'll let me mail order it. Is that one-off, demo or open box unit you saw or was it just the regular price? $500 seems like an amazing price...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXAUDIO
Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions.

John I'm on the east coast but I'm going to call Fry's tomorrow and see if they'll let me mail order it. Is that one-off, demo or open box unit you saw or was it just the regular price? $500 seems like an amazing price...

Thanks
Fry's online presence is http://www.outpost.com/ , but it looks like the unit is full price there. In-store, it is a sale price for NIB stock...

John

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
That FRY's $500 sale price is for in-store sales only, and you won't get it through their online site of outpost.com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.