AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my crazy thought, since no speaker is perfect for both music and home theatre, could one buy a set of perfect speakers for music and also use those speakers as front reference speakers for a 9.2 setup? I just purchased a Yamaha AVR 2040 and was considering an upgrade to my front and centers for my music listening and came up with this unique idea. My other option is too add reference level front height speakers and listen to music and HT in 9 channel output, (7 channel sounds pretty good already). It would be easier in my room to just add floors than fronts but neither will be perfect. I have a dedicated room, fully insulated and enclosed in my basement, 18x25 for my home theatre(50%) and audio room(50%). My current 7 channel setup is Tannoy s10's, sc8 center, M&k, sub and M&K surrounds with B&W satellites in the rear. Budget max 8k. If I'm crazy let me know, if not suggestions much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The speaker is perfect (enough} for music and home theater if it meets your standards for each.
If you requirements are contradictory, then I can see needing different speakers if you can't EQ to taste.

Using Processor to Tailor for Music/Movies
For instance, if your music requirements were: "Very warm sounding, bass-heavy, reduced treble" and your theater requirements were: "balanced, strong treble presence"...
Then your receiver for Music could be in some Pure Direct mode or something that did engage Cinema EQ, using the standard Audessey curve that has toned-down treble, and even some activity-specific tone adjustments.
For Movies you'd have the activity set to not engage Cinema EQ, you'd use Audessey Flat for even more treble, there would be no tone control adjustments.

But if tastes can't be accommodated by processor, like:
"Movies: minimal reflections with mostly direct sound, and big dynamics dictate use of compression drivers that sacrifice the top 4kHz of bandwidth;
Music: lots of reflections for more ambiance from stereo speakers, not listening too loudly, so sweet silk dome sweeters will give me the final airiness that my 26 year old ears can detect"

Then sure, I can picture using different speakers for each.

But if they had to be in one room, maybe the money could be spent on achieving the best of both in one set?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts