AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a registry file, that turns off all the junk services for Vista. I made this last year, so its been beta tested on multiple computers. Performance greatly increases. I left the visuals on, so you will still have your pretty GUI.

It is for Vista Ultimate 32 bit Service pack 1, although you could probably adapt it to other versions with minor tweaking.

You can't really do harm with this file, it just turns off the same switches, as going into services.msc

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey, I might be interested if you can list all of the services, etc. that are affected by running the tweak. I just loaded Vista 32 SP1 and haven't had time yet to learn what can be done to pep it up a bit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes, I'd like it. PM sent.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd be interested. Can you just attach it to a post in this thread? Or, even better yet, just post the contents in a code section?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To see what is inside, the "code", so to speak, just right click on it and click edit. Or open up with notepad. You should be able to figure out the services I turned off.

To actually use it, just double click and add to registry. Then restart the computer, because it will not take effect until you restart.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Out of interest can you list like the top 5 or top 10 things to disable and state what you lose by doing so?

I understand this is time consuming and have no problem if you don't want to create a list.

I rather disable the services manually myself but I need to know what each does in reality, apart from reading the windows description/title for each service.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
go to blackviper.com

Even if people do not use my tweak file, everyone should turn off as many vista services as they can

·
Registered
608 Posts
Perhaps no one is responding because their rigs are no longer working properly?

Just joking, thanks for the tweak, won't be able to use it for another month or two though.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vista will tell you exactly what to turn back on, if needed.

This was not the case during pre-sp2 XP days.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva /forum/post/15526801

Vista will tell you exactly what to turn back on, if needed.

This was not the case during pre-sp2 XP days.

This has hosed my VMC. It starts up but when I execute LiveTV it stops running and tells me to close the program.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Can you roll back?

There was absolutely no way I was going to run this on my machine without knowing exactly what it disables. As I read through it, I saw that it disabled remote desktop and a few other things that I use all the time. So, I didn't bother with it.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree /forum/post/15523622

It seems strange to disable all Media Center services on a HTPC.

Not if you use something other than VMC for your PVR software. Disabling Media Center services are recommended in that case so VMC doesn't interfere (like locking tuners).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D /forum/post/15545492

This has hosed my VMC. It starts up but when I execute LiveTV it stops running and tells me to close the program.

Any suggestions?

You can download Vista default settings at:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/registry.htm (SP1 Defaults)
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Archive/registry.htm (pre-SP1 defaults)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts