Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a Viewsonic PJL830 (Davis 450 clone) and have been very happy with it in the 12 months since my purchase (some of you may remember me from a "refurb power-buy" about a year ago).

My problem is that I would *really* like to display HDTV. The problem is that none of the PC-based HDTV cards will output to SVGA.

I seem to have several options:

1) I could sell my Viewsonic and "upgrade" to an XGA unit (the prices have dropped considerably since last summer), but I have not been happy with the XGA units I have seen (LP335 and LP350). They seem to suffer from hot whites (or noisy whites -- depending on what your eye sees) or crawlies. Plus my eye is much more susceptible to the rainbow effect on them.

2) I could sell my Viewsonic and buy a JVC D-ILA. This is not a bad option (certainly the best *picture* option), but the size, heat, noise, and bulb life/price are all an issue for me.

3) Wait for WXGA (1280x720) projectors, or even settle for an XGA, DLP to be made specifically for HT. My problem with these options is that the prices are very high for what you get (especially with the XGA HT projectors going for > $8K). It appears that it'll be close to 18 months before WXGA projectors are reasonably priced.

4) Hope the new Hitachi D-ILA is a winner and has a street price (power buy?) of ~$5500.

5) ???? This is where I was hoping someone could help. Is there some way to down convert the signal from the HiPix/AccessTV/Hauppage to SVGA? Is there a bios hack to add SVGA support to these cards? Anything? I'm certainly not the only SVGA user in this boat, right?

At this point, option 4 seems the most viable. But, against all odds, I'm hoping that someone has a solution that will prevent me from doing something stupid. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Suggestions? Or am I destined to make stupid and expensive decisions?

Scott

·
Registered
813 Posts
Stupid question but does your projector accept 1080i ? My NEC LT84 is an SVGA unit that accepts 1080i HDTV and it does a good job at that.

------------------

Sergio R.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMDA1,

No, unfortunately it doesn't support 1080i.

In theory it can down-convert XGA to SVGA, but given the way my Window's desktop looks in that mode, I don't have high hopes that it would be very watchable.

Scott

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Try running S-video from your STB or HTPC into your SVGA projector.

I have seen this give very fine results, compared to normal NTSC for example through the same projector. Of course, real HDTV is better, but as a stopgap measure, it works!

Let me know what you think if you try it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Scott,

I can't answer your question for sure since I've never seen it myself. But people have gotten HDTV signals to synch to the Davis. As I recall, 1080i synchs to VGA (640x480) and 720p synchs to the full 800x600 panel, so the image seems streched. I suggest searching the Digital projector archives for "Davis HDTV" or "Davis Dish 6000" or "Davis DTC100." You should also search the HTPC archives for "Davis Hipix."

Another option is to get a VIGATEC scaler, check this out. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum23/HTML/001164.html

This will be able to downconvert 1080i to SVGA.

Like I said, I can't say how well any of these solutions work, since I've never seen them. But, I'm as anxious as you to get HDTV out of my DLS8.

Hope this helps.

Tony

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Scott,

I think your best bet would be to add an ISCO 2 or Panamorph lens to your present projector, to stretch the full 800X600 panel to a 16:9 shape. Pick whichever lens fits your room best, as one increases projector throw, the other decreases it. The lens is half the cost or less than the XGA projector, and can be carried forward to the next projector for similar benefits.

This should give you 480p and 1080i support (since 1080i only requires 540 lines per frame, I would try a 540p video mode), upscaled by the PC to 800X600. 720p support will be a little trickier but it's not often needed. If you are using a PC card solution, your only 720p option may be to output S-video to the projector line doubler. If you are using a STB you could input the S-video signal into a TV tuner card and use Dscaler to drive the projector via the RGBHV input.

My own choice would be one of the DirectTV STBs. If I could afford it, I would try one of the under-$4000 XGA projectors like the NEC VT540. For the ultimate inexpensive 16:9 display, the VT540 at $3600 plus the ISCO 2 lens for about $1400 is a total $5000 solution.

Gary

·
Premium Member
25,537 Posts
I agree with rbsmith, just try the Svideo input. I have a Dish 6000 and Tosh HD-ready TV w/o AR control. The HD downconverted to S vid looks great, with much of that HD realism.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
148 Posts
Scott

I have the PJL830. It Does Sync to 1080I from my DISH6000, and I currently have the choice of a picture that is streched vertically or chopped on the sides by adjusting the viewsonic's frequency. My solution is an anamorphic lens to correct the aspect ratio. If and when I get the Panamorph, I will be able to test. Someone with an ISCO should be able to confirm this also. Not the cheapest solution, but applicable to other 4x3 projectors.

------------------

--Bob

[This message has been edited by REF (edited 06-26-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.