AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i used to work at BB during the summer until i started back up in college. I went into CC today to check out their Polk stuff to see if i liked it and of course...they didnt have it hooked up but whatever. Anyways, my old manager and i kid i went to school with manage it so they said if i wanted a job i can have it. She told me that the get real good accomidations on Polk and stuff and that would def. help out the college budget.
I was wondering if anyone worked there that could let me know what the accomidations are like for the Polk and what else they get. Im not going there just for that but its a +. BB is just to damn picky and you have to go through all kinds of BS just to start working there.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lne937s /forum/post/14270030

I hope you are not an English major....

I've seen worse. MUCH worse. Other than some miscapitalized "i"s and a misspelled "to", some missing punctuation and letters, and some run-on sentences, what's wrong with it? At least he spelled "their" correctly. It's pretty intelligible compared to some of the other stuff we get around here.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lne937s /forum/post/14270030

I hope you are not an English major....

I hope you're not either! You have 4 periods on the end of your sentence!!! Haha jk...i wrote this up really quick b/c i had to leave.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd say no, but it depends on the store. The best deals at CCity have always been, and will always be mega super duper blow out clearance open box stuff. Vendor commendations are based off of Polk's MSRPS (which are considerably higher than fair market value at Frys, ccity, bbuy, etc.)

That being said when you factor everything out, it comes to be about 15 to 20% off instore prices. That's a nice discount, but honestly, you can find better deals from sales, clearances etc (esp at Fry's).

Just my .02 from working with ccity for about a year.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 /forum/post/14270193

I hope your not either!

"you're"

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have certain words that I ALWAYS seem to misspell as seen below:

Responsability

Identicle

absolutly

then vs than

One would think that after running the same word through a spell checker a gazillion times, that they would finally learn, but not me. Keep making the same damn mistakes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I really didn't want to start anything- it just took me a few times reading through the first post to figure it out. But then again, I don't understand half of the text messages I get.

If I remember correctly, the discounts at some of the smaller hi-fi shops my friends worked at gave some pretty substantial discounts. You may want to take a look around and see if that's an option.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lne937s /forum/post/14270682

If I remember correctly, the discounts at some of the smaller hi-fi shops my friends worked at gave some pretty substantial discounts. You may want to take a look around and see if that's an option.

True. The salesmen at the smaller shops have an opportunity to build a relationship with the reps as well as the buyer.

Typically, you should be able to see discounts of 50% and more from MSRP and if you are REALLY lucky, you will be able to purchase them directly from the manufacturer at landed cost, which for speakers can be 50% less than dealer cost prior to dealer incentives.

·
Registered
30,709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14270044

I've seen worse. MUCH worse. Other than some miscapitalized "i"s and a misspelled "to", some missing punctuation and letters, and some run-on sentences, what's wrong with it? At least he spelled "their" correctly. It's pretty intelligible compared to some of the other stuff we get around here.

The AVS spell checker finds even more than that.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 /forum/post/14270193

I hope you're not either! You have 4 periods on the end of your sentence!!! Haha jk...i wrote this up really quick b/c i had to leave.

As an employer, I assure you that you will never work for me. Writing may be a dying art but it is, I assure you, a critical one for an aspiring professional.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Don't forget we're now in the text-messaging age where such annoyances as spelling and grammar don't matter -- as in "C u l8tr 2day."

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashick /forum/post/14271556

As an employer, I assure you that you will never work for me. Writing may be a dying art but it is, I assure you, a critical one for an aspiring professional.

What a bunch of hooey. I've been an employer also and I can assure you that it is NOT critical for every aspiring professional.

When I employed a professional copywriter, advertising manager, purchasing agent, store manager, HR manager, accountant, and many other professionals in other positions that required good writing skills, than yes, it was critical.

Was it critical for our professional car audio installers? Was it critical for our professional floor sales consultants? Absolutely not for in those professions, there are other talents that are MUCH, MUCH more critical than good writing skills.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Wow, this thing turned left in a hurry.

Anyway, don't go to work at CC just for a possible one-time spiff on speakers. Go there because you need a job and you want to provide excellent service to customers. If the accommodation works out, great, and , if not, then the money you make will let you buy some deeply discounted or clearance models somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR /forum/post/14271609

Don't forget we're now in the text-messaging age where such annoyances as spelling and grammar don't matter -- as in "C u l8tr 2day."

It may be faster to type like that but it takes longer to read due to the extra step to decode.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansashick /forum/post/14271556

Well good thing im not trying to get a job on here!
......Maybe thats why im in college for Chemisty.

Thanks for those that replied to the question at hand. I'm the kind of person that gives it my all for the customer even if i dont want to be there because I want to help people with something I like, and thats how it should be! Like someone said.....if I dont find something there, the money can be spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
792 Posts
They just opened a new Circuit City near me in Towson, MD. What happened to this place? It's just a mini-Best Buy with the big warehouse feel and 'zones' instead of departments. There's not even a listening room anymore. They have two dozen different HTiB solutions, but I think only 4 floor standing speakers. And if you're interested in one of those four, you might as well throw darts since critical auditioning is out the window.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ /forum/post/14273187

They just opened a new Circuit City near me in Towson, MD. What happened to this place? It's just a mini-Best Buy with the big warehouse feel and 'zones' instead of departments. There's not even a listening room anymore. They have two dozen different HTiB solutions, but I think only 4 floor standing speakers. And if you're interested in one of those four, you might as well throw darts since critical auditioning is out the window.

They're focusing on what's selling. On my visits to Circuit City over the past few years has proven that there's little activity going on in the listening rooms. Instead, people are out on the floor playing with TVs, iPods, digital cameras, etc.

Those of us who love to audition thoroughly before we buy are a dying breed.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ousooner2 /forum/post/14271998

Well good thing im not trying to get a job on here!
......Maybe thats why im in college for Chemisty.

Thanks for those that replied to the question at hand. I'm the kind of person that gives it my all for the customer even if i dont want to be there because I want to help people with something I like, and thats how it should be! Like someone said.....if I dont find something there, the money can be spent elsewhere.

Were you using some of your chemical experiments when you started this thread?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts