Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cat sure does...

She lays RIGHT in front of my Paradigm Studio 60's with her head on axis with the tweeters (on the top of my desk) the top of my desk is in line with the bass drive in the speaker so her ears are like perfectly lined up with the tweeters and midrange driver and I am playing Alice In Chains unplugged very loudly right now to where the house is shaking and you can hear it in the driveway but she moved to that spot and is facing the speaker by choice, I actually tried to move her away from them because I was afraid of her ears but she just keeps on going back.

So I was wondering if anyone elses pet is like this, she either loves alice in chains unplugged or the ever so sweet sound of these S60s (probably both) :D

You'd think a cat would hear loud noise and run under the couch but she is just straight jamming out with me :eek:

I think its cool as hell :D

On another note, does anyone know any good method to keep cats away from speaker grilles? I dont want to get her declawed because she is 15 years old and I dont wanna put the old lady through any more stress than possible at her age, its more humane to do it when they are kittens.

I heard there was some good spray u can put on furniture to keep them from netting their claws on it, just wondering if anyone has experience with pets and netting their claws on expensive things... she has not touched the S60s but I have caught her on the Subwoofer before... I just gotta say her name and shes off them in a flash but I dont think just buying her a scratching post will keep her from scratching other things.

Just curious, if she goes near the S60s she is gonna be in trouble, the subwoofer suprisingly has not been affected by her netting (on the grille) which blows my mind, must be strong material...

At least she can appreciate the sound quality :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooshda
So I was wondering if anyone elses pet is like this
Ours prefer a slightly different position! (see attached picture)

Quote:
I dont think just buying her a scratching post will keep her from scratching other things.
I'm not trying to be condescending here, but think about it; cats are driven to naturally sharpen their claws; if you don't provide indoor cats an acceptable target (scratching post) and train them to what is acceptable to scratch, what are they supposed to do?

I would never consider declawing, especially if you haven't taken the basic step of providing an acceptable outlet for this natural activity. We have a scratching post upstairs and a large cat tree downstairs for our two ASH Silver Tabbies. They love to sharpen on these items, and will only occasionally pick on the carpet. They've never touched the speaker grills or furniture. It sounds like your girl listens well, so give her a scratching post and praise her when she uses it. Nearly all pet stores have deterrent sprays, but I can't attest to their effectiveness as we've never had to resort to 'chemical warfare'

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I've got 4 cats. They generally come in to listen when I'm playing medium loud to loud. They get a bit frisky, but seem to like it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wleehendrick
Ours prefer a slightly different position! (see attached picture)

I'm not trying to be condescending here, but think about it; cats are driven to naturally sharpen their claws; if you don't provide indoor cats an acceptable target (scratching post) and train them to what is acceptable to scratch, what are they supposed to do? :rolleyes:

I would never consider declawing, especially if you haven't taken the basic step of providing an acceptable outlet for this natural activity. We have a scratching post upstairs and a large cat tree downstairs for our two ASH Silver Tabbies. They love to sharpen on these items, and will only occasionally pick on the carpet. They've never touched the speaker grills or furniture. It sounds like your girl listens well, so give her a scratching post and praise her when she uses it. Nearly all pet stores have deterrent sprays, but I can't attest to their effectiveness as we've never had to resort to 'chemical warfare' ;)
Yea Ive been meaning to pick up a scratching post (or one of the cool ones with the hiding spots inside them) but I was just wondering if people who had one had their cats still use other things too... Im sure I can train her to only scratch on the post though shes a pretty obediant animal and kick ass to boot... I hate the idea of declawing as well, especially since she likes to go outside and climb trees and stuff from time to time as well and she probably cant have fun outside without her claws.

Nice speakers by the way :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
I've got 4 cats. They generally come in to listen when I'm playing medium loud to loud. They get a bit frisky, but seem to like it.
Mine also used to like watching Discovery HD theater sometimes :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Our new kitten has really taken to staring at the screen and will sometimes try to rest on the center channel mounted on the wall. Sometimes I'll put it on the nature Galaxie station and he'll really enjoy that.

I haven't seen him try to climb the grills yet.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
It is never humane to declaw a cat. Think of what you're proposing - to mutilate your friend so a piece of replaceable fabric doesn't get scratched. How can you even consider it?

Besides, it's unnecessary. I have 6 cats and occasionally one will try to stretch on the grill cloth. (Moving the furniture seems to trigger it.) A quick holler disabuses them of the idea. I was more concerned about the leather seating, but after the first couple days of disapproval, even the big goof Hoover leaves it strictly alone (although there's still some controversy about whether one of the seats is his or Barb's).

Overall, they pretty much ignore the sound. I did have one cat once - Zoomwalt F. Spacecat - that would zone out on the music. But he was a stoner, so no wonder.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My dog hates the stereo on loud and will either go outside or to another floor. The cat will hang out on the back of the sofa right at the optimal listening possition if she is in the room, but wont come running when music starts if she is not.

As for scratching, we have a carpet covered scratching item on each floor and that is all she ever scratches. No training necessary which is surprising to me since we adopted her as a stray that was picked up by the Humane society.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Mine don't like it very much. Not when it's loud, whether music or movies.

My last cat, who lived to almost 21, was totally deaf by the time he died. I'm thinking loud movie SPLs contributed greatly to that. They have much more sensitive hearing than we do, so I'm betting it's easier to blow their hearing out ....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Yea Ive been meaning to pick up a scratching post (or one of the cool ones with the hiding spots inside them)
If you want a big cat tree or 'condo', go to a cat show or make your own, the ones at pet stores are way overpriced! We got our our tree at a show; it has a big base with the carpet folded to make it look like a trunk, and four green shelves that look like branches leaves. The cats love it, and it looks pretty cool. (if you're a cat person ;) )
Quote:
I hate the idea of declawing as well, especially since she likes to go outside and climb trees and stuff from time to time as well and she probably cant have fun outside without her claws.
If she ever goes outside, declawing is simply not an option. Not for fun, but without claws she's defenseless to any other animals that might wander by.
Quote:
Nice speakers by the way :cool:
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
My cat likes rock. He's into Cat Stevens, Stray Cats, White Tiger (yeah, I know...I'm trying to ween him off that one), Survivor (Eye of the Tiger), Janet Jackson (Black Cat), you know, that kind of stuff.

My dog is more into heavier stuff. She likes Snoop, Lil Bow Wow, The Dawg Pound, etc. Blechh. There's a reason the cat's inside and the dog's outside. I can only tolerate the cat's music preferences.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by topspeed
My cat likes rock. He's into Cat Stevens, Stray Cats, White Tiger (yeah, I know...I'm trying to ween him off that one), Survivor (Eye of the Tiger), Janet Jackson (Black Cat), you know, that kind of stuff.

My dog is more into heavier stuff. She likes Snoop, Lil Bow Wow, The Dawg Pound, etc. Blechh. There's a reason the cat's inside and the dog's outside. I can only tolerate the cat's music preferences.
LOL I cant tell if thats a joke or what... everything you mentioned for the cat has a cat in it and everything for the dog has a dog in it :D

And about the cat being defenseless outside without claws, I agree... shes like 15 years old and she is still out hunting animals (birds, rabbits, squirrels, mice, etc..) the only thing bad about it is that she has a little window thats open all summer for her to go in and out as she pleases and cats like to bring their "favorite owner" their kills, not sure if its a sign of love, appreciation, or what... but she always brings little animals she hunted outside to ME she bypasses everyone else in the house and it goes right to my room. I cant get her off that habbit, she thinks shes doing me a great favor or is proud of her work and wants to show me I guess... shes probably wondering why they get tossed outside right away lol...

my only other thought is she brings it in here because she spends 90% of her time in my room with me and this may be her most comfortable place, thus she brings them in here... im glad its not a daily thing though.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Yes, she probably feels sorry for you having to eat out of cardboard boxes all the time. She figures you'd appreciate some fresh meat from time to time. Very thoughtful. ;)

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
I agree about going DIY for a cat condo. My friend has 4 cats and proposed the idea we build a DIy cat condo, because the ones in stores were like $400. Grabbed some 8" diameter sonotube, some free shag carpet from a friend who is a carpet installer, some plywood, and some 4" by 4" posts, and we were in business. Ended up being 5'8" tall and about 75lbs - 3 horizontal tubes with holes in the centers to move up a level, 2 levels of plywood with circular holes in the middle, a ramp on one side, and a half pipe on the other, all carpeted.

Total cost was about $150 and his cats love it. It does take up some space though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My cat doesnt seem to mind loud music.....He just lays in front of speakers and wags its tail around.

My cat is declawed...I figured it would be a better alternative than deheaded. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our two cats have become fixtures in our family room. Although I haven't (fortunately) found them perched up on top of the B&Ws, they will reliably hop on the sofa and stare at the screen while we're watching a movie. The best part is watching their heads swivel around during some of the 7.1 surround effects - they really seem to get into it!

I think some of their (honest) favourites are

- Finding Nemo (obviously)

- Step into Liquid (man, these cats must have lived in Kauai in a prev life...)

- House of Flying Daggers

- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - they love the tree scenes

- Master and Commander (no idea why, but they seemed really into it, despite the cannons. Why a bottle cap can freak them out, but a cranked up battle scene is no big deal...no idea)

They do keep a healthy distance from my speakers...maybe the solution to the scratching the grills is just a bit more volume? :)

yonex737

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have a cat and a dog. Neither one could care less what I play or how loud.

However, the dog responds with barks on a certain LOTR DVD where there's a dog barking in the background (I forget which one). I've tried with other barking dog sounds in other movies, but she only reponds to LOTR!

·
Registered
346 Posts
My late, lamented kitty Miss Furr was most fond of sleeping

on my power amp -- a Mark Levinson Model 23. The hotter it got the better she liked it.

Two Life Lessons Learned:

ONE; A Tech note

Said amp was recently sent to Madrigal Audio for a "tune up"

and I got a call saying "it was all full of white stuff" that would

need to be cleaned out as it was affecting the unit's performace.

TWO - A Sad Note

My vet suspects that the close and constant exposure to the fairly aggressive EMF from the Levinson's VERY large transformers

and even larger capacitors may have contributed to my cat's

death from sinus cancer.

So . . . . . as cute as it may be no more cat naps allowed on the amp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wleehendrick
I would never consider declawing, especially if you haven't taken the basic step of providing an acceptable outlet for this natural activity. We have a scratching post upstairs and a large cat tree downstairs for our two ASH Silver Tabbies. They love to sharpen on these items, and will only occasionally pick on the carpet.
wleehendrick,

For cat owners who have a problem with the cat scratching things:

Soft Paws:

triple-w "dot" softpaws "dot" com

They are glue-on vinyl nail caps.

Barbara J. Adams

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonex737
Our two cats have become fixtures in our family room. Although I haven't (fortunately) found them perched up on top of the B&Ws, they will reliably hop on the sofa and stare at the screen while we're watching a movie. The best part is watching their heads swivel around during some of the 7.1 surround effects - they really seem to get into it!

I think some of their (honest) favourites are

- Finding Nemo (obviously)

- Step into Liquid (man, these cats must have lived in Kauai in a prev life...)

- House of Flying Daggers

- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon - they love the tree scenes

- Master and Commander (no idea why, but they seemed really into it, despite the cannons. Why a bottle cap can freak them out, but a cranked up battle scene is no big deal...no idea)

They do keep a healthy distance from my speakers...maybe the solution to the scratching the grills is just a bit more volume? :)

yonex737
You really want to give them a treat, put on The Lion King sometime. They'll be transfixed for 2 hours straight.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.